PDA

View Full Version : Blower and Bilge Question?

Lakeside09
04-12-2011, 08:17 PM
2003 ProStar 209

I was checking the instruments on the dash and I flipped the blower to on and there was no sound.... (not good obviously) and when I flip the bilge to ON or AUTO there is no sound... (there was no water at all in my bilge either) not sure if that matters or not with this boat because it may have a float?... but I would think that it should at least make a noise... What should I be looking for here? Trying to get the small kinks worked out before we get serious... :D

Any help is appreciated!

east tx skier
04-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Turn the blower on and go to the transom and put your hand over the vent and see if you can feel any air coming out. I recall being able to hear the blower on my buddy's old 2005 209 though.

Lakeside09
04-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Oh I know the blower isn't working... unfortunately... I guess I mistyped... by no sound with it I mean't not working at all. :(

kskonn
04-12-2011, 08:53 PM
I think the floater on the Bilge is only applicable when you have it set to Auto, if you turn it on it should override the floater. That is how it works on my boat anyway.

Lakeside09
04-12-2011, 08:58 PM
What do I need to fix these problems?

hbomb
04-12-2011, 09:39 PM
check circuit breaker - had same issue on my X2 - breaker had tripped
otherwise check fuses

bturner2
04-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Make sure all the wires are attached to the battery.

DooSPX
04-12-2011, 11:23 PM
I know my blower is load as hell! My bilge on the other hand is dead quiet when when flipped to manual.

Lakeside09
04-12-2011, 11:33 PM
What replacement parts should I be looking for?

MC4SNETS
04-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Your bilge blower is an easy replacement if it goes bad.

I replaced mine with THIS ONE (http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/ATT-1733-4/380002/Bilge+Blowers/Attwood+Turbo+In-Line+Bilge+Blower.html)which was an exact replacement for the factory - except the wiring. My '01 original blower had a two-prong plug that attaches to the factory wiring harness. The new blower has two bare wires. Cut the plug off the old one (with enough wire to work with) and splice it to the new blower's wires. Use a volt meter if not sure which harness wire is hot.

The blower itself attaches with one screw and the hose attaches with a hose clamp or zip-tie. The blower has a flow arrow marked on the side (*see below).

Use marine splice connectors (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=35701&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10611&classNum=10613)that have the shrink-tube material built in, crimp them and shrink with heat according to directions.....last thing you want in the bilge is a bad electrical connection. Wire-tie the loose wires securely once installed to make sure they don't get snagged by something and are out of the way.

*Most importantly, be sure the blower is blowing air OUT of the bilge and not into the bilge. Your boat is designed with a ventilation system to bring fresh air into the bilge from the front of the boat and blow it out the back with the bilge blower, ventillating the entire lower portion of the interior hull to free it from fuel fumes in case a source of ignition presents itself.

My boat is a V-Drive so giving you a step-by-step may not help because my blower is probably not located or mounted like yours.....but generically, this should guide you if you need to replace the blower.

Lakeside09
04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Great thanks for the info...

How would I go about chekcing the circuit breaker or fuses... ?

willyt
04-13-2011, 12:29 PM
not to threadjack, but i have a 2005 X2. I have just one blower motor at the bottom of the bilge just port-aft of the engine block (and it works). The curious thing is there are 2 holes where the bilge motor blows out, as the other hole does not have anything connected to it. Am a missing a bilge blower?

If I am, am I good to go with just one, or should i invest in another?

Always observe the 3 mins blower before and after start/blower is always going when we're idling.

DooSPX
04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Can you post a picture? I, at the moment, can not picture in my mind what you are saying.

bobx1
04-13-2011, 01:23 PM
not to threadjack, but i have a 2005 X2. I have just one blower motor at the bottom of the bilge just port-aft of the engine block (and it works). The curious thing is there are 2 holes where the bilge motor blows out, as the other hole does not have anything connected to it. Am a missing a bilge blower?

Always observe the 3 mins blower before and after start/blower is always going when we're idling.

Same thing on my 2007 X1 - think one hole is for extra sucking of fresh air.

Jeff d
04-13-2011, 02:30 PM
The curious thing is there are 2 holes where the bilge motor blows out, as the other hole does not have anything connected to it. Am a missing a bilge blower?

My boat has 4. One vent has a 3" duct to the blower. The other 3 just have 2' pieces of 3" duct that hang down to about 6" from the floor. This is because the fuel vapors are heavier than air and tend to accumulate low in the bilge. The seemingly useless lengths of duct cause the draft from the forward movement of the boat to suck air out from the bottom instead of the top which would potentially still allow fuel vapors to accumulate.

In addition to this there are usually inlets below the windshield that are ducted down to the bilge. This creates positive pressure when you're underway to evacuate even more air.

nmcjr
04-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Great thanks for the info...

How would I go about chekcing the circuit breaker or fuses... ?

Under the dash you will see a bunch of buttons with labels. If you press them and they are tripped they will click back in and the blower or pump will run. The pump may be hard to hear, but in a quiet garage you should hear it, with the engine cover up for sure. My pump just eventually went bad and I replaced it. As mentioned, the "on" position overrides the float. Mine would work only occasionally or if I tapped it, but that's an item that needs to be reliable and is an easy cheap fix, you just replace the module.

IMO I wouldn't take the boat out with either of those not working properly.

MattsCraft
04-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Will - Mine is exactly the same as yours from the factory. I believe it is a fresh air intake.

Lakeside09
04-19-2011, 09:26 PM
The bilge works... the time I took the boat out there just were no water in it and when I flipped it on I couldn't here it... check it again it it works fine... (auto bilge won't turn on unless water is meeting the mark to where it would kick on...

The blower also works great... just had to reset the breaker... :D

Easy fixes are the best!