PDA

View Full Version : '92 Prostar 190 throttle repair

pwskicat
04-12-2011, 07:22 PM
The reverse lockout on my throttle is broken. Any step-by-step guidance on how to repair this dangerous prob? If there is an existing thread, pls point me to it.

Many thanks for yr help, PW

oldairboater
04-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Repaired mine last year. I had to replace a spring. Didn't seem to be that hard to do. What is broke on yours?

pwskicat
04-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Haven't taken it apart yet. The problem is that if the neutral button isn't pulled out and the throttle gets bumped, it can shift the boat into forward or reverse. You don't have to pull up the little collar under the shifter ball to move the throttle handle. That collar should lock the throttle in the idle position whether the neutral button is in or out.

oldairboater
04-13-2011, 10:53 PM
The weak spring was on the rod that the collar moves up and down. That kept mine from locking. I took the handle off and then repaired the spring. I don't really remember how I did it but it was simple. Too hard to uncover boat in the dark but if I get the chance tomorrow I will do it and remember what I did after looking at it again.

JMann
04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
So the silver knob works to put into neutral but the black collar doesn't? I have the same problem but didn't think much of it until now that I have kids. I would be interested in hearing the fix so I can do it also.

oldairboater
04-14-2011, 11:05 PM
If I understand this thread the black collar locks the shift/throttle lever to keep it from accidentally getting bumped into forward or reverse. The chrome button in front of the shift/throttle lever uncouples the gear shift from the throttle so you can advance the throttle without fear of going into gear. The throttle/ transmission lever is easy to remove and if you look at the black collar it moves a rod up and down that controls a lockout dog on the shift/throttle lever. You need to remove that shift/throttle lever and then you will see how the collar works the rod and dog. Some one else may have a better description or drawing of it and how to remove to fix.

Worthing skier
04-18-2011, 06:08 PM
This is a very easy , quick and must do saftey fix.

1.Undo the allen key screw at the bottom of the throttle/gear lever and remove the lever assy .

2.Remove the split pin from the lever assy,which holds the lower pivot/lock pad in place and remove lock piviot and spring .
3.You will properbly find the spring is broken, so go to you local tool store and buy a replacment spring of similar tension .
4. Ressamble is the same order .

Note the spring pushes the lock pad in so when the spring becomes weak or brakes it will alow the gear lever to be moved with pulling up the shift lock saftey button(not a good saftey design).

Will try and get a couple pics to show this , but boat now on the lake so may be a while .

Kevin