PDA

View Full Version : Front speakers not working

davidstan
04-12-2011, 01:55 PM
on my x2 both front speakers are out for no reason i can see. Tried balance adjusting but still no sound. I recently disconnected the tower plug ins to lower the tower but reconnected once tower was back up. Any ideas?

kskonn
04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Well the channels could have gone out on the amp/head unit. speaker wires disconnected at the speakers or the amp/head unit. Here is what I would do. Check your connections all the way through, if everything is legit then start testing the following.

Output on Amp/Head unit
Preouts if applicable

Is this the factory system?

davidstan
04-12-2011, 03:02 PM
it is factory. i checked the wires but seems odd both front speakers went out same time.

bennettwoodjr
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
If the speakers aren't producing any sound at all it is most likely a problem with a channel or two going out on the amp. May want to check the fuses in the amp first. If fuses are intact you can disconnnect the speaker wire from one channel and use a cheap test speaker you know to be working to see if in fact the channel is dead. To test if there is a problem in the wire running to the tower speakers you can use a small 9v battery to pop the speaker after you remove the speaker wire from the amp. You will hear a small popping noise each time you connect the positive and negative to the 9v. This is what we used to do for car audio all the time.

Thrall
04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
More info needed. Spkrs on amp or head unit? Since both went out ck fade on hu, gain on amp, RCA connections to amp?

davidstan
04-12-2011, 07:33 PM
More info needed. Spkrs on amp or head unit? Since both went out ck fade on hu, gain on amp, RCA connections to amp?
The speakers in the bow, I have the JL speakers.

kskonn
04-12-2011, 08:52 PM
are they connected to an amp or directly to the head unit?

if you follow all the suggestions in here you should be able to figure out the issue. Since you said you checked the fade settings etc... it sounds like the channels went out on either the head unit or amp whichever they are connected to or possibly RCA's came out etc...

davidstan
04-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Think i found my problem. I got under the port side storage area and found a black wire hanging loose. i dont have the tool however to take out the bow spearker, looks like a star screw type head. To remove a JL speaker what do you all use for a tool or what is that type screw used to affix the speakers to bow?

Thrall
04-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Probably one of the speaker wires. Doesn't explain them both going out unless you have the front speakers hooked up in parallel to one channel on an amp, in which case the port spkr would probably be the first one in line since your amp is presumably located on the port side.

epnault
04-17-2011, 05:15 PM
It is probably a torx head. You can find these at most tool stores. You can even get them as a bit so you can put them in your cordless drill. They come with a size designation like T25, T27, etc..