PDA

View Full Version : 86 prostar strut replacement

milehigh970
04-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Ok got a quick question.. I removed my strut and am replacing. When i removed the old one there are 2 washers under the strut on each of the farthest aft bolts and one under the next two forward, and also a seems to be fiberglass type piece maybe a 1/8 inch thick. Is all this suppose to be there or should the strut be sealed directly to the bottom of the hull? Do i need to unbolt the coupler and remove all this and realign? I would take Pics but i am on my phone :(

tph
04-11-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm guessing those were used to shim the strut into the correct angle to line up with the engine/transmission. I would install the new one the same way without sealant, check the alignment and adjust if necessary...then apply the sealant.

JLeuck64
04-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Click the link in my signature... it will take you to some photos of my rebuild. I couldn't get my new strut to align the new shaft to the hole through the hull correctly, so I built a wedge just like you are describing. Test fit your new parts and if the shaft goes through the hull in a nice centered position then you should be good to use sealer to put the strut on for the last time...
If the shaft doesn't go through the hull correctly... then it may be necessary to modify your custom shim. ( hope that's not the case!)