PDA

View Full Version : Make a visual check!

east tx skier
04-11-2011, 12:23 PM
A little PSA after our first outing.

Got our boat out for the first time this season. Dropped it in the water. It started right up. And I began idling to the lift with the stereo on and the kids all smiles. Somewhere in the back of my mind, a little voice said, lift up the motorbox and give it a once over before heading out. So as we got near the lift, I did just that. At first things looked fine, but I quickly noticed the my water pump belt had not been reinstalled correctly (by me) when I changed my impeller (Indmar people, you will not have this problem).

So I made a b-line for the lift and got the belt back on. I started it up and everything looked fine. But just to be sure, I idled around for a minute. When the temp started creeping up quickly, I put that boat back on the ramp and checked the impeller.

The new impeller looked like a hockey puck. Fortunately, I had a spare and got it changed out. A quick call to the mechanic and I learned that on my PCM GT-40, impeller bits tend to go down stream. I pulled my hoses and found a few bits of impeller.

Put it all back together and had a great weekend on the lake with no further troubles.

So once again, I know we're all excited to get out on the lake. But what first time you crank it up, be it in your driveway or at the ramp, lift the motor box and give one last look around to make sure everything is how it is supposed to be.

Happy boating!

2RLAKE
04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
great thoughts ... its always a desire to just get it on the water and start skiing ...

east tx skier
04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
great thoughts ... its always a desire to just get it on the water and start skiing ...

Each time, I started to just say "it'll be fine." The second time, my wife asked if I had my cell phone and we were turning around to go back to the lift when I noticed the check engine light and temps pushing 180.

Providential.

trickskier
04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Great advice - Especially since most boats have been sitting for 3 months or more!

barefoot
04-11-2011, 03:07 PM
my sediments exactly. First time out, I'm usually a little hyper sensitive to everything...sounds, the gauges, water in the bulge, etc. It's a good idea to take it easy and make sure everything is running correctly before you give it h3ll.

Hrkdrivr
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
It's funny how that nagging little voice in the back of your head can prove "providential" oftentimes. The one that always gets me is looking over my shoulder before lane changes in my Excursion, rather than just looking in the mirrors; it's save me from wrecking dozens of times...a good habit from taxiing airplanes around...no bent aluminum so far!

kbob
04-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I fill your pain and glad you were able to still have a good weekend! My first time out this season was at night...won't ever do that again! I looked down after about 2 minutes and thought...why is my floor all wet and my motorbox. Raised up my motorbox and my bilge was full of water and both of my manifold plugs were leaking water and couldn't get them to stop. Luckily we didn't go far out and my bilge pump took care of the rest as we went to the dock.

TX.X-30 fan
04-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I would have a face to face with the dude that left the belt off!!!!!!!!!