PDA

View Full Version : PSA... Friends don't let friends power turn!

redrobster78
04-11-2011, 10:51 AM
As we begin another boating season I'd like to share with everyone a friendly Public Service Anouncement about power turning...

http://wakeworld.com/news/feature/friends-dont-let-friends-powerturn.html

MattsCraft
04-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Nice - Need some type of a launch device like a T-Shirt cannon to shoot the message into other boaterís boats doing Power Turns on the lake! :rolleyes:

LaRue
04-11-2011, 11:23 AM
every dealer should post that on their website...changing the boat of course :D

2RLAKE
04-11-2011, 12:04 PM
there is nothing like doing a power turn for fun in a mid-90s 190 .... those are a blast

Completely agree with how you should pick up a skiers ... we've been doing this for 20 years. I try to help educate people on this ... some people take the instructions well and some don't. Every year i'm amazed at the stupidity of some people and how they do these turns to go pick up their skiers, especially those trying to teach kids. Lat year one of our new neighbors (with a 'bu) kept doing this trying to get one of their daughters up skiing ... never worked ... she constantly kept hitting the rollers made my her mom

Best way to approach friends/other boats is with a smile

Eric2010MCX2
04-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Nice - Need some type of a launch device like a T-Shirt cannon to shoot the message into other boaterís boats doing Power Turns on the lake! :rolleyes:

like a 12 gauge straight to their hull?

Skipper
04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
That was a cool video. It never ceases to amaze me how many people live by the power turn. I certainly would enjoy putting a shovel to the back of some people's head....good plan.

captain planet
04-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Heck, I'm going to print off that page a bunch of times and hand them out on the water over the summer for those that...uh...need an education.

pram
04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
that is hilarious

jbkriss
04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
All mfg's should put that decal on every dashboard, like some sort of warning decal.

JDJ_205
04-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I agree power turns can be fun - but we rarely do them - the lake needs to be quiet, calm, etc.

I've never even thought of doing a powerturn to pick someone up from waterskiing / wakeboarding. That's simply crazy.

But then again - there's plenty of boaters on the water who shouldnt be.

I'm always an advocate to saftey first.

Double D
04-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Heck, I'm going to print off that page a bunch of times and hand them out on the water over the summer for those that...uh...need an education.

Maybe we can post a big sign at the beginning and end of the Channel!!

Love the Video!!! Gotta post that on facebook!!

ahhudgins
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I know a person who does a power turn every time he/she returns to a skier. The first time I rode in his/her boat, I calmly said "Down" when the skier fell. The next second I was almost in the floor when the boat was turned at 35 MPH. Crazy.
P.S. I no longer ski with this person.

Double D
04-11-2011, 02:28 PM
I know a person who does a power turn every time he/she returns to a skier. The first time I rode in his/her boat, I calmly said "Down" when the skier fell. The next second I was almost in the floor when the boat was turned at 35 MPH. Crazy.

Teach the poor man. He knows not what he does wrong!! :D

captain planet
04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Maybe we can post a big sign at the beginning and end of the Channel!!

Love the Video!!! Gotta post that on facebook!!

We have joked about posting signs in those two places, "Inboard boats only between 6 and 10 a.m." :rolleyes: Huh, I guess that leaves out the v-drives. ;)

Skipper
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM

You just need a shovel...

DooSPX
04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
You just need a shovel...

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Double D
04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
We have joked about posting signs in those two places, "Inboard boats only between 6 and 10 a.m." :rolleyes: Huh, I guess that leaves out the v-drives. ;)

Oops... :D :uglyhamme

aaron.
04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Power-turn = flooring the throttle/accelerating in an attempt to turn the boat faster to return to a downed skier. Complete boating noob error (as shown in video).

Back-turn = Boat is already in motion at high speeds, driver cranks the the wheel, causing the inboard to whip a turn in almost a skidding motion on a dime (physically fastest way to stop a towboat, also required during tournaments when a trick-release is not in use)

cheers

ahhudgins
04-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Teach the poor man. He knows not what he does wrong!! :D

This person believes that this is the proper method for turning and retrieving a skier. I have learned over the years that peopleís opinions are like their political leanings. No matter how much you talk with them, they will not change. If I had to ski with this person (thank goodness I donít) then the shovel would be the only solution.:D

captain planet
04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
This person believes that this is the proper method for turning and retrieving a skier. I have learned over the years that peopleís opinions are like their political leanings. No matter how much you talk with them, they will not change. If I had to ski with this person (thank goodness I donít) then the shovel would be the only solution.:D

But a shovel is so violent. Don't you think a cattle-prod would be a little more persuasive......and a lot more fun? :D

ahhudgins
04-11-2011, 05:41 PM
But a shovel is so violent. Don't you think a cattle-prod would be a little more persuasive......and a lot more fun? :D

I like the metal sound against the skull. Booooong!

I understand there are different ways to retrieve a skier, but once the skier lets go or falls and raises his hand (which is what I teach everyone to do) a power turn or "back turn" is not needed. I've done a power turn or two when I was young and had a few people in the boat but I always said "Ok, everyone hang on" and gave a warning. The guy I was referring to gave no warning and caught me completely off guard.

Barefooter92
04-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Okay now I can tell all my drivers in training I am not nuts. Great vid! Now how do we get this out to all the other morons on the lake?

LakeWorth
04-12-2011, 08:37 AM
I just ordered a shovel adapter for the end of my boom.

Cmpdman
04-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Nice site & video! Thanks for sharing. We always did power turns -years ago. When we purchased our first MC the dealer taught us how to do it properly & not do power turns. So thanks to Matt @ utws.

sand2snow22
04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Been my signature for awhile. Might have to flyer our lake! :)

oldairboater
04-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Good way to end up a shovel Popsicle. Impossible to change what people want to do.

medicmoose
04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
All mfg's should put that decal on every dashboard, like some sort of warning decal.

Noooooo!! Please, no more warning labels plastered all over boats! That wold be akin to filling the driver's area of you car with labels to warn you against the endless stupid things people are capable in that environment too.

nmcjr
04-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Good post--this should be a sticky! I agree, I wish dealers would educate new buyers on this. We stop people on the water all the time to try to educate them, some are receptive others are not. I too have thought about printing the page and placing it on windshields of cars at the launch.

nmcjr
07-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Time for a mid-season bump, in case folks missed it the first time around.

ssippiriverrat
07-31-2011, 11:50 PM
another added incentive to not doing power turns is the increased time it give wakeboards/skiers to recover--

I hate when ppl do power turns to pick me up--still catching my breath as im trying to get the line

91ps190
08-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Great theory, except there are still tubers and surfers out there.

ChandlerR
08-01-2011, 01:49 PM
There must a video that teaches the power turn cause on my lake almost every boat we see does it. I'm talking about V-Drives and DD's, plus all the jet boats and stern drives. On the 4th of July we had in our area of the lake a MC 55, a Nautique 230 and a Malibu all doing power turns. We just sat on our deck and watched the poor skiers get drowned every time. After we get over the anger, it's kinda funny watching people fall over in the boat. Then about 8pm, they all leave and we head out for a few runs before sunset. Holiday weekends just suck for lakefront owners.

ssippiriverrat
08-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Great theory, except there are still tubers and surfers out there.

I try to avoid wakeboarding in places that I need to worry about that....if there's too many boats its not very fun anyway

chawk610
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
It should only take one bow dip dumping 500 gallons of water in the boat to learn not to do it!

MasterKraftS&S
08-02-2011, 09:48 AM
It should only take one bow dip dumping 500 gallons of water in the boat to learn not to do it!

BUT, the only time I take water over the bow is when I stop(in rough water) to turn around. Now I'm NOT a fan of powerturns when it comes to picking up riders during a calm am/pm sesh! BUT when you got tubers snaking their way up/down river and PWCs going every direction and all the other yahoos - it's time to hang it up if you don't like the CHOP, ROLLERS, etc. When we lived on the water, we ski'd week days and early AM. On weekends, that's why we had a deck, a Weber and stocked cooler.