PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Prostar Won't Start!

TrevorA
07-18-2005, 10:37 PM
I've got a 2002 Prostar 190 with the LTR engine. Usually the boat gets pulled out of the water every time, but last night we left it in the water. Tried to go skiing this morning and bummer. No start. The engine would turn over and crank but nothing.

Normally when I turn the key to the on position you can hear the fuel pump working for about 4 or 5 seconds. THis morning I couldn't hear the fuel pump working.

I called the dealer but they are backed up for 3 weeks before they can get me in. They gave me a couple things to check but neither one seemed to be the problem. below is the dealer's quick fix check list.
1. safety lanyard switch. This controls the fuel pump and according to the dealer they have serviced about 10 of these recently for boats that won't start. They said to pull the lanyard off and push the button about a 100 times then see if it will work. (Didn't help)
2. wiring plug on the front of the motor. I unplugged all of the plugs near the water pump and plugged them back in to insure they were connected securely.
Neither one of these seemed to work.

I love the boat, wake, but this is the second summer I've had an issue. Last year a recalled part caused an oil pump to fail. Which resulted in a new motor. I only have 25 to 30 hours on the new engine.

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Trevor
:friday:

PendO
07-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Trevor ... sorry your M/C dealer cannot get you in, that in itself is BS!

1. Just from experience with some of our trucks, if you have power to the acc (lights, stereo), but not to the fuel pump (you could check that with an electrical tester - Screwdriver looking thing with a light in the handle and and an aligator clip end to ground to) then maybe the boats has a neutal safety switch like that on new cars (i.e. you cannot start a car in gear and w/o the clutch pressed in). I know our MC will not start if it is left in gear, but I am not sure if the fuel pump will cycle (boat is at lake, so maybe someone else can confirm). Mess around with the throttle a bit.

2. Check any fuses - not sure if the fuel pump has its own fuse?

3. From your other posts I see that your local dealer is C&MP (the #1 MC dealer in the US). Call M/C personally and ask them how you have to wait 3 weeks to get a boat serviced still under warranty, from the #1 M/C dealer in the US/World.

4. Call the M/C dealer in Portland and see if you can get it looked at there, I hear you on the short summers, 3 weeks is 25% of the hot summer!

parrish1
07-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Trevor,
I had similar problem with an 01 Prostar. It was in fact the fuel pump. I called Rambo Marine and their service mgr walked me through a few checks and assured me it was the fuel pump. He sent me a new one asap and I replaced it myself without any trouble-needed special tool (less than 10.00 $)from Autozone to remove high pressure hoses at tank. These pumps do go out and without warning. They are more likely to die after they have been run dry--out of gas as I did. If you dont hear the pump cycle and your kill switch is OK then check with a volt meter to see if you are getting power to the pump when you turn the ignition on. You must have 2 people because one must look at the meter as soon as the key is turned on because power is only momentary. I first thought I had an electrical problem because I would turn the key on and then go look at the meter I had connected to the fuel pump wires and no reading but what was happening was by the time I got back to the meter it had already cycled and it appeared as if I was getting no juice to the pump so 2 people are needed to check that all is proper with the electrical. Hope that helps, Mike Parrish

PendO
07-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Mike - how much did the fuel pump run? Saw this thread on another post, maybe it will help http://www.skidim.com/

rodltg2
07-19-2005, 12:22 AM
it seems like if you have a newer mc, your fuel pump will fail guarenteed. just out curiosity who has an 01 an newer who has not had the fuel pump replaced?

jmac197
07-19-2005, 12:35 AM
'02 197 with 250 hours original fuel pump....knock on wood.

Although I don't believe I've ever let the tank get below 1/4. I just don't like to be on the lake with out at least that much.

Leroy
07-19-2005, 01:11 AM
'01 with orginal fuel pump also. But listening to the number of failures I'm scared!

MarkP
07-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Me too Leroy (the little scared thing). I would like to upgrade to a newer boat some day but I keep hearing about the issues. AND then, to have the dealer tell you 3 weeks:noface:

TrevorA
07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
One more thing. Last night I looked at the receipt from last September when C&Mp did the engine replacement. They had a fuel pump fail while lake testing the new motor. SO this fuel pump is about 10 months old. Shouldn't there be some sort of guarentee? 12 months at least?

PendO
07-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Have you figured anything out on your boat?

TrevorA
07-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Dealer had me try a couple things. Now we are going back and fourth. The boat is technically out of warranty. So to get this thing fixed it's on me. I think the dealer caused the problem to begin when they swapped blocks last fall. They need to stand by there work for at least 12 months.

caden
07-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Replaced the 1st one at 4 hours.
Replaced the 2nd one at 10 hours.
Both times the tank got down to 1/2 a tank, then pump stopped working.
Dealer said 2nd pump was a new model. Would not have the problems of the original.
No problems in the last 15 hrs.

TrevorA
08-01-2005, 03:51 PM
I found a old MC dealer in Woodinville Washington. Over the years he's sold about 700 MasterCrafts. On day Cope & McPhetres came in the the Seattle area and MC Dropped this guy as a dealer & repair center.

I want to say one thing. Dougs Boats in Woodinville was great to me. They had me bring the boat in over the weekend. Had a guy jump in and start working on it while i waited. They found a bad relay that was causing my problems.

C&M told me the relays never go out and not to bother checking that, because they just don't go bad.

My suggestion to MasterCraft is bring Dougs Inboard Boats back as a Authroized service center. The Seattle area can support more than one MC dealer. Let's give Cope a little competition and maybe their service will improve a litttle too. just my 2 cents.

jimmer2880
08-01-2005, 06:41 PM
It's always to hear a good ending. Sounds like MC needs to re-evaluate that area a bit closer.

Never heard of a relay going bad... Have these guys ever owned a pair of fog lights?

rodltg2
08-01-2005, 06:54 PM
everytime i took my boat in , they would tell me its probably your lanyard. i got sick and tired of telling them its not my damn lanyard.

TrevorA
08-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to everybody that gave me suggestions. It helped save the summer! Thanks again. :toast: