PDA

View Full Version : surf set up on an x-25?

South Ga. Nole
04-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Went to the lake this weekend and tried surfing behind my new x-25. Sort of new to the surfing thing so we were not sure how to set up the boat. Had surf tabs set for the port side and port and center ballast full and wake plate at about 40%. We had what looked like a decent wave but we kept falling back. I have a cwb ride board and I am 6.0 185. We were surfing around 10 mph. Is this set-up right or does anyone have any suggestions? Also is this board worth a flip? It was cheap and I think I should have spent a little more for a nicer board. The older I get the more I enjoy the surfing. Wakeboarding hurts more an more every year! Thanks for any suggestions.

Viktimize
04-10-2011, 09:02 PM
When surfing, it comes down to finding the sweet spot in the wake. When I surf behind an X-2 with just factory ballast, I find I have to put ALOT of forward pressure on the board to stay in the wake and not fall back. I imagine it would be easier with a bigger wake, but without seeing pics of your wake, it'll probably be hard for guys to give you much advice on what to do with yours.

mccobmd
04-10-2011, 09:27 PM
I can surf my x1 with that board. Like victimize said it's a totally different body position. I teach new riders to touch the wave near their front foot to go faster and near their back foot to slow down. Weight is always toward the wave.

osuwaterboy
04-10-2011, 10:23 PM
I can't surf without the rope on my X25 with stock ballast, surf tabs, and adjustable plate. I ordered 3500 lbs of ballast which should do the trick.

scott023
04-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I can't surf without the rope on my X25 with stock ballast, surf tabs, and adjustable plate. I ordered 3500 lbs of ballast which should do the trick.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

And I've read so much about the quality of the 25's surf wake.

JohnE
04-11-2011, 09:16 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

And I've read so much about the quality of the 25's surf wake.

X2. I have to think a stock 25 can be surfed.

CantRepeat
04-11-2011, 09:18 AM
X2. I have to think a stock 25 can be surfed.

I think it comes down to a the surfer's ability to stay in the pocket. Doesn't matter how good the wave is if you can stay in the pocket.

ddanenberger
04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
from mastercraft,

Subject: Parks Surfing picture behind the X25 in JPEG so it can be printed for sales books

Here is a message from Zane about the X25. You can see Parks shredding behind the boat in this picture.

Here's a pic from yesterday's Wakeboarding Mag shoot, this is an X25 with stock ballast, full on port & center, 20% down attitude adjustment plate, and rolled 100% left on the surf tabs, at 10.4 MPH, the wake was really nice with just stock set up, in my opinion this is the best surfing boat in our line!!! Be sure to note that the starboard set up is exactly the same but
0.5 to 1 MPH slower.

Matt McDevitt
Midwest Regional Sales and Marketing Manager MasterCraft Boat Company 100 Cherokee Cove Drive Vonore, TN 37885

MattsCraft
04-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Interesting that it states center tab @ 20% down? On my X2 anyway, anytime I put the center tab down at all it shrinks the wake to un-surfable. Possibly a factor of having the surf tabs, which in '09 were not an option.:(

ddanenberger
04-11-2011, 11:35 AM
we have not had anyone behind the new boat, but on the checkout with the dealer, these settings produced a great wave.

willyt
04-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Interesting that it states center tab @ 20% down? On my X2 anyway, anytime I put the center tab down at all it shrinks the wake to un-surfable. Possibly a factor of having the surf tabs, which in '09 were not an option.:(

or a 100% down when the rider isnt expecting it.

MattsCraft
04-11-2011, 02:22 PM
or a 100% down when the rider isnt expecting it.

Never seen anybody do that before!:uglyhamme:purplaugh

South Ga. Nole
04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys. The surf wake on my 25 looks huge. I would think the stock wake would be enough. Wake looks identical to the picture shown. Probably me being more of a begginer with a crappy board more than anything. Thanks for the info!

sand2snow22
04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I didn't see any surf wake. More pics of the girls please......

MuskokaJ
04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
What's interesting about the photo (besides the girls), is the fact that the hull is not even leaning. The fact that there is a decent surf wake without significant hull lean is a testament to the X25 hull's ability to throw a surf wake. I would love to see what that same pic with look like with some significant aftermarket ballast weighting (and with the girls still in the shot, of course). ;)

brucemac
04-11-2011, 09:39 PM
looks like it's leaning pretty good to me. just the dangle of the angle. look closer at the water in the background...

not saying it doesn't throw a good surf wake, just that i'm sure it's got a decent amount of list.

MuskokaJ
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I looked at it again, and the sunpad looks almost completely flat. But maybe my eyes are not working correctly due to presence of distracting striped bikini.

osuwaterboy
04-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Here is the plan for my X-25 surf set up. I am putting 2 750# fat sacs in the rear compartments, 1 750# fat sac on the floor in the bow, 1 400# fat sac in the front on the seat, and, if only a few people in the boat, an 1100# surf sac on the back seat. As soon as I can get to the lake again I will see how well this works. I have surf tabs and adjustable plate to help shape the wake, but not sure where to set these yet. I'll see if I can get some pics too.

MattsCraft
04-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Here is the plan for my X-25 surf set up. I am putting 2 750# fat sacs in the rear compartments, 1 750# fat sac on the floor in the bow, 1 400# fat sac in the front on the seat, and, if only a few people in the boat, an 1100# surf sac on the back seat. As soon as I can get to the lake again I will see how well this works. I have surf tabs and adjustable plate to help shape the wake, but not sure where to set these yet. I'll see if I can get some pics too.

Way, way over kill and not needed, the beauty of the 25 is the hull, stock ballast and you are ready to rock for boarding or surfing, especially with tabs! I just don't get all this overloading, it will not make you a better rider, just burn up your engine, only time behind the boat can improve that.

Remind me not to purchase a boat from you, kidding:D