PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a new diesel

Panda Cub
04-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm currently looking to purchase a new (to me) truck to tow my boat. Anybody have any experience towing with a diesel? I have a tacoma that sucks at towing, I've used my fathers sequoia to tow and that was okay. I've actually used a lot of different vehicles to tow, but never a diesel truck. I know it is supposed to be mind blowing how awesome it is.

What type of mileage can i expect when towing with a duramax diesel?

Any opinions would help.

And no, I really don't want to use a chevy gas motor to tow. The truck I use at my summer job (2008 chevy 2500 with a 6.0l )sucks at towing two tractors.

An additional reason I am ruling out a gas pickup is I drive roughly 500 miles a week and I don't want to get 12 mpg with a gasser.

kyfooter
04-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Friend of mine has a Silverado 2500 with Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. He also replaced the exhaust with some sort of flow-through exhaust...anyway, truck sounds awesome, and he says he gets 20-22 mpg whether he's towing or not. I have the same truck with a 5.3L engine and I get 14 mpg with the wind behind me, and 10 towing.

I wish I could buy one. I say do it. Don't think you'll regret it. If I had my preference, I would never buy another Chevy again though. Known problems with axle bearings leaking and they won't issue a recall, and known problems with transmission hoses leaking and they won't issue recalls. Chat rooms are filled with these problems. I'm all for the new F-250.

Panda Cub
04-09-2011, 04:24 PM
thanks for the input. it would be nice to get 20 mpg towing or not. i'm going to look at some diesels next week.

should i be afraid to buy one with over 70k miles? or over 90k? is the reliability pretty decent?

my tacoma maybe gets 17mpg without towing and maybe 10 when towing. its worthless, that's why i drive my element instead.

any diesel input would be great.

Friend of mine has a Silverado 2500 with Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. He also replaced the exhaust with some sort of flow-through exhaust...anyway, truck sounds awesome, and he says he gets 20-22 mpg whether he's towing or not. I have the same truck with a 5.3L engine and I get 14 mpg with the wind behind me, and 10 towing.

I wish I could buy one. I say do it. Don't think you'll regret it. If I had my preference, I would never buy another Chevy again though. Known problems with axle bearings leaking and they won't issue a recall, and known problems with transmission hoses leaking and they won't issue recalls. Chat rooms are filled with these problems. I'm all for the new F-250.

Wake2004
04-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Sorry but unless this friend has a 2wd standard cab short bed and older than 2005 duramax there is no way that he is getting 20-22 mph. I have owned a 2003 Duramax and currently own a 2008 4wd crewcab short bed and I get about 19 without towing and about 15 towing but I have to try hard to get that and that is all highway. Don't be afraid to buy anything around 100,000 miles and the engine warranty goes to 100k as well. I do not want to make it a ford chevy thing but if you are buying used beware of fords 6.0 powerstrokes if you google it you find more than enough information to back that statement up. Both good trucks if you have warranty and there are 100's of fords for sale 2004-2006 so good luck

Panda Cub
04-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Sorry but unless this friend has a 2wd standard cab short bed and older than 2005 duramax there is no way that he is getting 20-22 mph. I have owned a 2003 Duramax and currently own a 2008 4wd crewcab short bed and I get about 19 without towing and about 15 towing but I have to try hard to get that and that is all highway. Don't be afraid to buy anything around 100,000 miles and the engine warranty goes to 100k as well. I do not want to make it a ford chevy thing but if you are buying used beware of fords 6.0 powerstrokes if you google it you find more than enough information to back that statement up. Both good trucks if you have warranty and there are 100's of fords for sale 2004-2006 so good luck

I know about the problems of 6.0l ford. Those were rectified I thought by 06? I'd like to get a LLY duramax. Are there any known problems with the 05 duramax? I have a hard time trusting the duramax message boards because they seem to be a little biased.....

skierdan
04-09-2011, 06:21 PM
I have a 2008 dodge cummins. I get 18 mpg whether I am towing or not. Never had an issue. love it. Engine is barely broken in.

nmcjr
04-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I have a '07 Duramax. I think I probably get around 16 towing with it, but I don't drive it gently. Towing with any of the new diesels is a piece of cake you'll love it. Going from memory a bit here since I haven't researched since I bought mine, but I think '06-07 is the sweet spot because no reliability issues and that is when the 6-speed tranny started and also more HP. There were injector issues (big $$) somewhere in the 00-05 range, and I seem to remember something about overheating around the 03-05 range. I'm not sure of the years of those two issues, so don't make a decision based on those fuzzy tips, but they'll at least give you something to search on. I'd be comfortable buying one at under 100k miles for sure--the powertrains are long lasting items on these trucks.

kskonn
04-09-2011, 07:52 PM
I know about the problems of 6.0l ford. Those were rectified I thought by 06? I'd like to get a LLY duramax. Are there any known problems with the 05 duramax? I have a hard time trusting the duramax message boards because they seem to be a little biased.....

I just went through this and here is what I learned. The ford engines made in 05 and later are much better than the engines made in 03-04(run from any engine made in 03-04). There are about 3 easy things you can do to the fords if you are worried bypass the egr etc... There was also a a couple years I think 03-05 with the Duramax where they used a metal that would slowly corrode on top of the injectors, some of the trucks end up with fuel in the oil, new injectors were required to fix the issue. I ended up buying a used 2000 F250 4x4 with the 7.3 diesel. I have friends that have all shape and size diesels and they all swear theirs are the best. One thing is for sure, no matter which diesel you buy towing a mastercraft will not be a problem, you will hardly notice it is behind you.

willgeorge
04-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Honestly everyone is going to be biased towards their own brand, with any 3/4ton diesel you will get the kind of results you are looking for, as far as the duramax goes anything 08 and up is going to have the exhaust filter which hurts mpg. 05 - 07 LBZ duramax with a programmer is the way to go if you want highway mpg in the 20's, towing mpg in the teens,

Cloaked
04-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Friend of mine has a Silverado 2500 with Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. .......... he says he gets 20-22 mpg whether he's towing or not. .Wishful thinking. There's no such thing with the Duramax engine. Not a biased answer, just speaking from experience with a third Duramax. Tuners / ECMs are nothing but a problem waiting to happen.

ShamrockIV
04-09-2011, 09:29 PM
I am looking for a 96 or 97 crew cab f250. the orginal powerstroke was a beast.

smoketu
04-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I've owned a 2006.5 duramax with the lbz motor which had about 25 more hp than the earlier lly motor. I did nothing but use it to tow the boat, about 3000 pounds, and loved having the power. It had an Air Raid intake, Bully dog programmer with outlook monitor and Gilbson exhaust. I'd say I probably only got around 8-10 mpg while towing, but it had a 6" lift and 35" tires so it just killed it. I'd say if you could find one in stock trim it would do much better. One thing though when towing I would put the program back to stock, just too paranoid about hurting anything. In performance mode around town was alot of fun and probably got 13-15 mpgs.

Jerseydave
04-10-2011, 12:09 AM
My buddy has an '06 Duramax and loves it. Plenty of power stock, I'm not sure what his mpg is but it's has to be way better than my 6.0 liter gas Yukon.

Best mpg would be to find an older Ford 7.3 diesel with a 6-speed manual trans. (those older Ford automatics did not hold up from what I hear)

Eagle Lake Rebel
04-10-2011, 12:29 AM
I've got an '04 F250 with the "bad" 6.0. Only problem i've had with it was the Turbo which was replaced. It's got a little over 60,000mi on it....mostly towing miles on my X30. Pulled the cat, added Banks exhaust and bullet controller, Air aid intake....runs way better now. Get about 17 -18 no load and 13-14mpg towing. Bud accross the street has an '04 also, hasn't had any pbls with his. Got several folks that want to buy it, but can't see selling and having to dig 50 deep for a new one that is loaded with soot controll stuff & I think gets worse mpg. No doubt, the new ones have more a$$ than mine but mine is paid 4.

Hammer
04-10-2011, 01:07 AM
I run a 99 ford F350 crew cab long bed DRW. Got the 411 gear. 250,000 miles still rollin fine. Did rebuild trans at 100,000 but my mech said it didn't need it. It was a bad converter. Run a programmer, intake and exhaust for the past 150,000 miles with no issues. I get around 13 average. Top out at 15-16. Worst was 7 towing 15,000lbs 5th wheel at 80mph. The boat is a joke to it. Would love to upgrade but 60 large is strong in this economy. She will keep rolling.

Hammer
04-10-2011, 01:17 AM
I should add I drive it like I stole it.

Wake2004
04-10-2011, 03:00 AM

The LLY in the 2005 is mechanically the same as the LBZ in 2006 but the 2006 LBZ gets a better tune (more power) and the 6speed Allison. So both the 2005 and 2006 are great trucks but the 2006 might be the best GM has ever made.

tr6coug
04-10-2011, 03:23 AM
I tow my X2 with an '03 Duramax crew-cab. Highway towing MPG is 14-16, regular highway driving is ~21, city mpg is about 14. Stock motor, no tuner. I had a edge module for a few years, but had problems with it. Pulled the edge module and its as solid as a rock. 70k on the odometer and no problems with injectors, it has been very reliable. It tows great. I don't ever want to go back to a gas motor for towing.

FourFourty
04-10-2011, 08:52 AM
I know the OP is talking older duramax's here....but, for what it is worth-

My LML Duramax got 15mpg average in stock form. About 12-13 when pulling a dump trailer that weighed around 12000lbs. I installed an H&S tuner and deleted the particulate filter and the exhaust fluid system and I now get 19-20 average and 16 towing the dump. (running on the "mild" tune so I dont tear the driveline apart while towing)

jkski
04-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a pure stock 06 LBZ 4x4 CC SB with a toneau cover and running 265 75R16 tires at 75psi.
OK, the truth is I can get 14-15mpg running 70-72mph pulling a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer (about 2k lbs) or 15-16mpg running 70-72mph pulling my PS197 on a dual axle trailer(about 3500lbs).
Plowing snow with it I get 8-10mpg.
Without towing anything, I just made a run from Ohio to the beach in NC running 72-82mph the entire way and I got 18-19mpg.
The truck has 97k miles on it and actually seems to improve with more miles. It will pull a house and is very comfortable for trips.
Hope this helps.

samgreazy
04-10-2011, 09:44 AM
I have heard of a couple of buddies having problems with the wiring harness on those duramax. I have got a 96 f-350 drw crew cab with a banks turbo kit intake and intercoller and 3" exhaust. Thing is a beast i get 16 mpg normally, as for towing my boat.... Ha it's nothing for it can't even tell it's there. I would def go with a powerstroke.... Although that 6 cyl cummins motor is BA

Eric2010MCX2
04-10-2011, 01:57 PM
My word of advice would be to stay away from any Ford diesel other than the older 7.3ltr that ceased production in 2002.

We just bought a new 2011 GMC sierra 2500 SLT crew cab 4x4 with the duramax/allison to tow our X2 and it does AWESOME. I get about 15mpg towing down the highway and about 13 towing in town.. however in town not towing i usually only get about 14 at best anyways. On the highway not towing, I can get 18-22 depending on the landscape (flat, vs lots of hills).

Bottom line, a tow beast is not made to get great mpg, its made to tow.

bblomquist
04-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Diesels rule when towing.... Torque is off the charts.... Go DURAMAX! basically the same engines since the early days... Relatively minor changes to the actual block and head.... They are bullet proof.... Look for any truck 2001-2006 that has been really taken care of well.... Service records are important. Should be able to find one for between 10k- 20k pending year and mileage. I've owned two and will never own anything elso.... I've also owned ford diesels.... I like those also.... But they just don't compare! My humble opinion!

Viktimize
04-10-2011, 10:08 PM
I was dead set on a Duramax, but the more I read about diesels, the more I sway to the Cummins. And after a few months now, I am SET on the Cummins. Chevy is really looking outdated in the styling department(personal preference I know). And the new Dodge interiors are awesome.

I am amazed at the amount of Ford love here. I might consider one if it was a brand new 2011, but I don't really want to be the test mule for that new engine. And older Fords are just awful to look at when you get inside. To each his own, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to own a Ford.

03 35th Anniversary
04-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Almost 2 weeks ago I bought a new 2011 Ford CC 4x4 Dually Diesel.

This is what I'm getting for mileage so far. A lot in town and a little Highway.

timvan
04-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Gas vs Diesel ....
Its like our boats,
Sure you can get a ride and pulled up by a I/O...but the inboard does it so much better:cool:

ctjahn
04-11-2011, 09:10 AM

I have a Ford 2005 F250 CC Lariat 8'box Diesel 6oh-no (LOADED). I bought it with 75k and took it right to the dealer (100,000 mile warranty). Had a lot of problems initally but I think I have them sorted. Head gaskets done right away (under warranty) Bought it for 14k when blue book was 27 (the 6.0 is problematic but if you take care of it and maintain it as specified it may be ok for you.)

Tows like nothing I have ever towed with before. When not boating I tow 10,000 pounds and it goes like crazy. Average 19.5 (just a pipe otherwise stock - no cat) - NO trailer. Light foot going the speed limit.

Blue book still looks pretty good on it with 99k and still pulling strong. For more information check out this site: http://www.thedieselstop.com/ - although if you read enough about any vehicle you will never buy it. As with anything people publiclly complain but are not so quick to complement....

Best wishes.
Cj

Cj

FourFourty
04-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I was dead set on a Duramax, but the more I read about diesels, the more I sway to the Cummins. And after a few months now, I am SET on the Cummins. Chevy is really looking outdated in the styling department(personal preference I know). And the new Dodge interiors are awesome.

I am amazed at the amount of Ford love here. I might consider one if it was a brand new 2011, but I don't really want to be the test mule for that new engine. And older Fords are just awful to look at when you get inside. To each his own, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to own a Ford.

There is no doubt that the cummins is probably the best of the three engines. However, The total package is not the best. Also want to mention that the new dodge interiors are very nice.

The problem with the Dodge is that the rest of the entire truck is not built as well as its competition. I am not saying that because I am biased either..... Chrysler holds the bottom spot for reliability and build quality in almost every test/survey/report that is conducted these days. And 99% of that is from the RAM and Grand Cherokee dragging their average down. The Ram also cost less than an equivilent Ford or GM...... And there is a reason for that....

That being said, I would still consider a Dodge, and I did consider one when I bought my Denali HD a few months ago. A Ram is still a viable option, and is still a pretty good pickup. Chrysler just needs to invest time into the reliablity factor...... And so does GM. GM is certainly not excelling that catagorie either.... I went with the GMC because I liked the Denali interior better than the Rams interior (Denali has different Dash and interior than the regular GMCs and Chevys)

The reason for so much Ford love is because they are the best trucks on the road today (overall). In fact, in the last few years, Ford vehicles (on average) have higher reliability ratings than almost every other auto manufacturer on the planet. IIRC, Ford is rated 3rd or 4th right now, GM is about 10th, and Chrysler is either last, or second to last. Somehow, Ford turned everything around. They are also the only profitable American car company in the last 5 years. They are very profitable in the last 2 years.... Which is very good for us, considering the other two companies cost every american a few hundred dollars in taxes just to stay afloat.

I wish I could say different, and I am sure I will get flamed for this post :D . As a GM owner, I hate to say Ford is the best. Unfortunately, The numbers dont lie, and I try to preach fact, instead of letting my Biased get in the way.

SkiDog
04-11-2011, 09:35 AM
The ONLY problem I have had and will continue to have, is the price of diesel fuel! Thats bout the only thing that sucks about having a diesel. My 2008 GMC Duramax Crewcab longbed is an awesome truck!

silverblueBP
04-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I have a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 PS and pull the boat, my 20' enclosed race trailer and sometimes a 20' enclosed trailer full of cabinets for work. The worst mileage so far was 12mpg when I was towing the trailer full of cabs into a 30+ headwind. It's hard to tell when the boat's back there!

I think the best mileage I've had is 18mpg, empty.

stuartmcnair
04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I have an 05 ford 250 with the 6.0. 115,000 and no problems at all. Runs like it is brand new. Feels like a heavier truck than the chevys so if you are concerned about ride and comfort the chevy is a bit better. Raw power? Mine outdoes the duramax. Not much but it is noticeable on a steep grade pulling a tractor or mini excavator. Thing about diesels though is you can have two identical trucks and each will perform a bit different. Not sure why, just something I have noticed. I think I got a good one. No matter what you buy, have it checked out by someone that knows what they are looking at, especially if you are buying out of warranty. They are very expensive to repair.

Skipper
04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I have a 2005 4x4 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD with the Allison transmission. I tow my 32 foot 5th wheel trailer and my PS 190 with plenty of horse power and control. I use a Bullydog programmer that adjusts for normal, economy, performance, and extreme. On the economy mode I average about 22 mph as much as 19 when towing just the boat.

rspiecha
04-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm going to have to put my vote for DURAMAX. I have a 2007 Sierra Classic, and only had one problem in 80K miles. One glow plug went out, dealer replaced all 8 of them under warranty. Took them 1 hour, since the glow plugs are like spark plugs, they screw in from the outside of the head, not under the value cover like other diesels. I get 19 highway, 15-16 city. Towing I get 16 with small hills to climb heading to the lake. Would probbably be closer to 19 if the roads were flat and I kept my foot out of it.

Rob

airdrew99
04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I have a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 PS and pull the boat, my 20' enclosed race trailer and sometimes a 20' enclosed trailer full of cabinets for work. The worst mileage so far was 12mpg when I was towing the trailer full of cabs into a 30+ headwind. It's hard to tell when the boat's back there!

I think the best mileage I've had is 18mpg, empty.

Another vote for Ford 7.3L Powerstroke. I have a 2000 F-250 7.3L crew cab 4X4 with 166,000 miles. I deleted the muffler (there is no cat), added a K&N air filter, and added a DP tuner (80hp econo). I get about 17-18 mpg. When I had my '91 Prostar 190, I never really noticed a drop in mileage. Of course it does weigh a lot less than the X-series Mastercrafts. The only reason I didn't like towing my Prostar with my F-250 is that I would completely forget I was pulling it. I almost took out a few street signs because I cut corners and forgot the boat was behind me. Check out www.superdutydiesel.com for info on Powerstrokes.

Drew

airdrew99
04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
A few pictures.

duramaxer
04-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I have owned 2 duramax trucks now.
I really liked the 2004 that I had. I put a tuner and exhaust on it which really improved its fuel economy and performance. I was getting between 22-25 mpg on the highway if I was taking it easy empty.
It would do 16-18 with my X2 behind it.
Now I have a 2009 and I am not very happy with it. Think that GM dropped the ball with this truck. Yes it does sit on the same chassis as the old trucks but I feel that the rest of the truck it rather cheap for what you are paying for these things. The truck really creaks and groans going over bumps and such. Dash really rattles (and this engine is much smoother than the previous ones). Think you get my point as I do have a few other gripes about the truck. I do like the new styling and the leather seats seem to be of a somewhat better quality than the previous truck.
The fuel economy with the new emission controls on the truck makes it a bit of a disappointment as well. I have now had the truck for a year and a half and it is getting about 15mpg empty and then drops off to about 10-11 mpg with the boat.
I am going to be dropping off the DPF and DOC in the next week or so (going to loose my power train warranty). So I will see soon what that will do for it.
I do feel that the engine/tranny combo with the GM product is the best combo between the 3 choices. I also enjoy the ride quality of it as well (comparing to my buddies 08 dodge).
All this aside I would not own another truck that didn't have a diesel in it.
It is the best thing for towing and I really didn't realize how much better til last summer I was in a chevy gasser towing an X2 and was shocked how much harder that truck was working to move down the road (it had the 6.0L in it).
So go and get a diesel you will not regret it no matter which one you go with. Really they all have some sort of weakness in them so you will just have to pick the one that you like the best. That way you won't have any regrets with your purchase. In the end I believe that all the diesel's will perform very well for what you are looking to do and once you have one you will never have a gasser ever again.

itstone55
04-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Everyone usually hammers on Dodge for the quality but I've never personally understood that. I've owned 4 Dodge's in the last 15 years or so and the biggest problem I had was the cable that holds the spare tire snapped on my 02 3/4 ton. Other than that I've had zero problems. The last two 02 and 07 have been Cummin's 3/4 ton and they pull like tractors. I've got the 6.7 in my 07 and it's been great, I'm not a big fan of the quiet and no smoke, this old farm boy likes the noise and the smell but that's progress I suppose. My dad has a 93 with the old 12 valve Cummins and it will still pull his 30 cattle trailer with no issues and he's never done a thing to it.

For my money you get all the power and torque without spending a bunch more on a Duramax or Powerstroke. I guess all the fit and finish stuff might be a little nicer but not $10k nicer in my mind. When I bought my 07 new a guy tried to sell my an 05 Duramax with like 50k miles for basically the same price.

Dodge is the only truck for me.

Sullivan
04-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Everyone usually hammers on Dodge for the quality but I've never personally understood that. I've owned 4 Dodge's in the last 15 years or so and the biggest problem I had was the cable that holds the spare tire snapped on my 02 3/4 ton. Other than that I've had zero problems. The last two 02 and 07 have been Cummin's 3/4 ton and they pull like tractors. I've got the 6.7 in my 07 and it's been great, I'm not a big fan of the quiet and no smoke, this old farm boy likes the noise and the smell but that's progress I suppose. My dad has a 93 with the old 12 valve Cummins and it will still pull his 30 cattle trailer with no issues and he's never done a thing to it.

For my money you get all the power and torque without spending a bunch more on a Duramax or Powerstroke. I guess all the fit and finish stuff might be a little nicer but not $10k nicer in my mind. When I bought my 07 new a guy tried to sell my an 05 Duramax with like 50k miles for basically the same price.

Dodge is the only truck for me.

I agree, my 0.4.5 has been great. It gets used hard and it still looks and drives great. I don't get all the comments about the motor being great but the rest of the truck not being of high quality. Total BS!

When I buy a new truck next year it will be a Ford F350 with 6.7! I can't support Dodge or GM anymore. They pissed me off with the bailouts and then they repay us by building two brand new $500 Million dollar manufacturing plants in Mexico. SOB!

kskonn
04-13-2011, 02:40 PM
the new ford with the 6.7 is off the charts. I have couple of friends that switched to those from GM for the same reasons your are considering the switch. There trucks are awesome. We were pulling 12k pounds down the highway and you would not have known there was a trailer hooked up to the truck.

Huskie05
04-13-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree, my 0.4.5 has been great. It gets used hard and it still looks and drives great. I don't get all the comments about the motor being great but the rest of the truck not being of high quality. Total BS!

When I buy a new truck next year it will be a Ford F350 with 6.7! I can't support Dodge or GM anymore. They pissed me off with the bailouts and then they repay us by building two brand new $500 Million dollar manufacturing plants in Mexico. SOB!

Amen, that is total BS.... I am on my 3rd Ford F350 in 12 years. They have been great, no issues breaking down, they tow like a dream, and they look great.

Sullivan
04-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Glad to hear they made the switch and are enjoying the new 6.7.

Thrall
04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
My 07 Dodge 5.9 has nickle and dimed me a little. One injector line, steering box, clutch and front brakes in 80k miles and it kinda needs ball joints already (which is complete bs for a road queen, wife driven grocery getter that hasn't been off road more than a half dozen times). Otherwise it's been great. Clutch I knew was going to need changed before I bought it. OEM DMF clutch doesn't like xtra hp!
Brakes probably expected because teh wife doesn't use the gears to slow down much.

I'd vote Dodge 5.9, 03-07, 6speed manual or DMax 04.5 to early 07 (LLY or LBZ) for a cheaper used truck.

Sullivan
04-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Sounds like your wife hits a lot of curbs, slips the clutch, and rides the brakes!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:P

Thrall
04-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Sounds like your wife hits a lot of curbs, slips the clutch, and rides the brakes!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:P

Hahaha! Lotsa downhills in the mtns to ride the brakes, so 75k on the front brakes wasn't too bad and she can't slip the clutch anymore....that South Bend OFE grabs like a mother.......:D

Sullivan
04-13-2011, 10:26 PM
I've got 75K on my original brakes. The truck only gets used to tow our horse trailer or boat. Both have good brakes but one of the advantages of the new trucks is the integrated exhuast brakes. Nice!

matt
04-13-2011, 11:00 PM
I am a Ford man. I do work for a crane rental service, and we have Dodges, Powerstrokes and a Duramax. I will say under hard use, the Dodge wins hands down. For reliability, heavy towing, and transmission longevity-Dodge. I prefer a Ford for general use, the GMC is nice, vut the Dosge IS the workhorse.

Dan K
04-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I was driving a 2011 Sierra 3500HD Durmax and have to say that the Duramax and Allison Transmission is gotta be the best HD powertrain out there right now. I was getting 16.8 real MPG averaged over 12K miles and I do not have a light foot. The Allison transmission with it's six speeds is great for towing. I never knew I had anything behind me and you could use exhaust braking as well. This was great for a 5th wheeel.
Call me biased, but you can't go wrong with this powertrain. I compared it to a buddies Ford King Ranch and he was only getting around 11mpg on a trip out west and it was a dog compared to the Sierra.

pmkkdx
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
As I have stated before, any of the big 3 diesel HD 3/4 or 1 ton pickup trucks will do 99.9999% of the job for the normal person for towing ... all comes down to personal preferences of comfort, appearance, etc.

Personally, I opt for the Dodge with the Cummins engine automatic (but have 6 spd man too) ... after having owned/driven 8 ('91, '93, '95, '96, '98.5, '01, '02, '05) over the past 20 years (3 newest still in my fleet), I have not had one major issue with any component of the drive train other than normal wear parts having to be replaced after logging well over 1 million miles combined. I typically drive ~50-70K miles a year, and usually keep for a considerable length of time, only upgrading to get additional features / more room ... not from wearing them out (unlike upgrading every 3-5 years on my wife's daily driver, 4Runner most recent fit). Each of the earlier ones I have owned had well over 200K miles upon trading them in for newer features/more interior room. The '98.5 was still running strong at 290K+ miles when the block cracked due to a casting flaw (#52 brazilian cast, known issue in 98-01). I was just about kicked out of the family when I switched in '91 from a lengthy GM family background (father-in-law was a GMC/Pontiac dealer '50-'70s) but they quickly grew to understand on some of their rides with me while towing very heavy loads (15K lbs +). Likewise, my bro-in-law is big into team roping circuits (nationally ranked in various associations) and travels all around the country towing a loaded 34' x 8' three horse slant w/living quarters g/n (logs 80-100K miles/year)... he states the Fords & GMs can probably out pull him on more level ground at highway speeds, but get into the hills or mountains, and his Dodge walks away without a strain.

as stated, any of the big 3 will be more than sufficient for the everyday towing of any of the MC boats ... look at them all to see what fits you and your family the best, comfortable, features, color, etc. ... and within your price range. I'll stick to the Cummins myself. ;)

yesitis
03-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Anyone buy a new 2500HD Denali LML diesel? Comments? Concerns? MPG?

toolz
03-31-2012, 02:52 AM
Mine's a 2008 F350 4x4, and it's been absolutely the best and most comfortable truck I've ever driven. The Fed mandated DPF and Cat converter were tossed, and with a mild tune, I can get 22 mpg if I drive it right. I've towed 30,000lbs with it on a regular basis, and it hasn't been in the shop once, other than regular maintenance. I haven't babied this thing in the least. I still think my 2000 was a better looking truck, but the comfort and power difference is night and day. I'm impressed with the new Fords, but I can't see a reason to trade this one off for a very long time. No Obammy Motors for me!

AZX9
03-31-2012, 04:50 AM
I used to have a Dodge 2500 cummins to tow with. Wanted something with more comfort and wife friendly. We replaced it with a VW Tourareg TDI diesel. Tows like a champ, better than any 1500 truck and is comfortable and handles like a sports car. It also gets about 30 mpg on the hwy. if you like to tow without being in passing gear or towing without constant shifting and hills that kill your momentum then diesel is the only way. Not to mention the 30% fuel savings over gas.

rspiecha
04-02-2012, 05:40 PM
2007 Sierra Classic 2500 HD - non-towing 16-22 MPG. towing 5k boat @ legal speeds 16 MPG.

Fast50dad
04-02-2012, 06:48 PM
I have an 06 Chevy 2500 Duramax, bought it new and paid it off in Jan. Love it, pulled our 27' enclosed steel snowmobile trailer to Sturgis a couple years ago with the bike and friends camping gear and luggage. Did 80-85 most of the way with strong head winds. Got around 8-10mpg. I have a heavy foot in town and get 14 pretty consistently. Absolutely love it for towing, never slows on hills when towing. Just wish the mpg was higher, but I know I am part of the problem. My buddies tell me to "chip" it, but I am leary of doing so. Good luck!

joniron1
04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
My 99 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins 5 speed man trans has 240,000 miles on it .It runs and drives pretty much like the day I got it with 80,000 miles.It has pulled 9000# camper coast to coast multiple times .I had to replace an injector pump ($1000)at 190,000 and a clutch around 150,000 miles, other than that just some normal wear items -ball joints ,.brakes. I get 19-20 mpg hwy 13-14 pulling my camper. I dont really know what i get pulling my boat ,the boat launch is less than a mile from the house. Someday I will replace it with another Dodge probably the newer body 02-04 but with the 5.9 and a 6 speed ,thats what i was looking for when i bought this truck in 05 ,but couldnt find a long bed at the time. My truck is not a daily driver so the cost of a new truck does not make sense and it still runs strong so I cant see any reason to get rid of it.

j.robinson389
04-05-2012, 08:14 AM

The LLY is a great engine, my dad has an LBZ (2006 w/ 6 Speed Allison) they really started to crack down on emissions in '06 and that hurt fuel mileage, so you will probably actually get better fuel mileage out of an LLY with a 5 speed Allison.

Good luck, the Duramax is a Great engine, I am a GM guy, but I think it's the best out there. Although the old Ford 7.3L are also a great engine! but now it would be hard to find one with less than 100k.

JulioX2
04-08-2012, 11:56 PM
I used to have a Dodge 2500 cummins to tow with. Wanted something with more comfort and wife friendly. We replaced it with a VW Tourareg TDI diesel. Tows like a champ, better than any 1500 truck and is comfortable and handles like a sports car. It also gets about 30 mpg on the hwy. if you like to tow without being in passing gear or towing without constant shifting and hills that kill your momentum then diesel is the only way. Not to mention the 30% fuel savings over gas.

AZX9, what year is your Tourareg? I'm looking at getting the Audi Q-7, so I'm curious as to how it will tow. It won't be my primary towing vehicle but just in case I need it sometime would be nice to know it can handle it.
How much towing do you do with yours?

tuchodi51
04-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Just my .02 cents,but I had a 03 duramax with a tuner,intake ,and exhaust it got 25 mpg while towing my sea ray on the highway doing 65 mph. I now have an 04 duramax (155,000 miles)same set up and it does 21 mpg pulling my X2 .Also have a 11 cummins (9000 miles)same set up, it gets about 17mpg. Granted the cummins isn't broken in yet and I'm sure it's going to get better.My neighbor has an 09 duramax ( 60,000 miles) same set as my trucks and he gets 21 mpg pulling his X2. Before pulling all the emissions gear it got about 10 mpg towing on a good day. From my experience pulling all the emissions equipment on these trucks is a must to get good mileage. That being said I use these trucks for work and can right off the repairs if I break anything

pram
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
what ever came of this thread with the OP

SkiDog
10-25-2012, 07:10 PM
I have for sale, an 'EDGE' diesel performance booster that will fit a 2005 GMC Duramax Diesel. I took it off my old truck before I traded it and forgot about it till I found it today. If I recall, these sell for about $600 new. I'll take $250 OBO for it. Needs to go. On my old truck, it added about 5 Mpg! http://www.edgeproducts.com/categories.php?p_cat=7&cname=Performance+Products

zsqure
10-28-2012, 08:55 AM
BUMP for the edge JUICE box! Left mine on level 5 when the wife took it, the kids still talk about how mom put the truck sideways pulling out of the allotment:D. I have been in the construction business for what has been 20+ years. The most durable engine has been the cummins, probably the most popular is the ford and the last 10 years has seen GM with their isuzu designed duramax as a very popular brand. I have had all 3, the most trouble free miles goes to the cummins engine. The Navistar powered fords are old by this time, step around the 6.0 ford diesels. My last diesels were duramax allison early 2002,2004 models. In 2004.5 the engine head/injector area was redesigned for easier serviceability. Anyway with a load 18-21k gross I was getting 15-16mpg. Running empty I was seeing 24.5mpg running a juice box on level 2. Around town driving like miss daisy i was seeing 21.5mpg. When I changed from those tiny oem sized tires to the next size up my mileage went down to 21 highway. Both trucks had to have the injectors replaced, the 02 has over 200k on it and the '04 last i heard was at 135 after the general replaced the injectors at 120k. I have a cousin that has an 04 cc duramax allison diablo tune with well over 200k and he sees a consistent 25-27 mpg. He works for GM and drives canton to parma everyday.