PDA

View Full Version : Battery (ies)

scocs15
04-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a 2006 X2, and the owner's manuel says batteries, and that they are under the port side rear seat. I found one battery under the port/passenger seat, but I'm not finding another battery anywhere else. Does anyone know if there are 2 batteries, and if so where the other one would be. I can't imagine it would be that hard to find a 2nd battery if it was there.

Thanks.

magnum
04-09-2011, 01:30 PM
I have an 06 Xstar and both batteries are under port side rear seat. It you don't have amps and tower speakers , it might have only come with one. that is the only place they put the batteries is under the seat in the X series that I know of

scocs15
04-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I have a tower with 4 speakers and an amp, so maybe there is another battery somewhere. Are both your batteries next to each other? I wonder if someone went cheap on this boat and decided to connect everything to just one battery, hmmm???

smoketu
04-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I have an '04 X-9 with amps and tower speakers also, but only have one battery. It was made for only one battery to fit. It works just fine, but we don't hang out and listen to the stereo much as we are always running.

Thrall
04-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I believe all the new style X2's, battery(s) are under the port side seat, just fwd of the cooler. My 06 only came with one battery, added another 1. You can fit 2 batteries nicely right where the OEM one is. Just slide it back towards the cooler and there's room for 2.

scocs15
04-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Thrall, can you post a pic of what you did? Also, the 2nd battery you added, was it a deep cell, I think that's what the guy said when boats have 2 batteries? He said 1 battery is a starting battery and the other is a deep cell (I think that's what he called it).

Thrall
04-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Both my batteries are dual purpose start/deep cycle but 1 only one starts the boat, the other is just powering the amps. In the 2nd pic, the 2 red wires taped up now have a Blue Sea ACR linking the batteries for charging off the alternator (and on board charger when plugged in).
I just pushed the orig battery back almost to the cooler and the 2nd one fits right in front of it.
Deep cycle batteries aren't meant to be used as starting batteries (but they will fire the boat up) and starting batteries aren't meant to be repetitively drained. Dual purpose batteries will do both without shortenening their lifespan. (I believe anyway. I just hooked up this system last year. Proir to I had a Prostar with 1 battery.)
There are several good ways to hook up multiple batteries depending on what your intended use or preference is. Most common is with a Perko switch with a 1, 2 all, off switch. With this setup you manually switch between which batteries you want to use. The way I set mine up, 1 battery is dedicated to ALL the boat loads except the audio amps and the house batt is strictly powering the amps. When I plug in the charger or the engine's running both batteries are being charged by being linked together with the ACR. The only problem is when shore charging, the house battery (amps) is typically more discharged than the start batt. The way I have the charger hooked up it could over charge the start batt, so I'm going to install a cutoff switch on the + wire of the start batt going to the dist block. This will isolate the start batt so I can charge just the house batt and then switch it back for maintaining the batteries when the boat isnt being used.

scocs15
04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Thanks Thrall. I'll have to do some more research it looks like in order to make sure I get it set up right. I was thinking I could just hook the other battery up to the 1 battery I have already, but it sounds a little more involved than that. I'll be out of town this week, so it might be a project for me when I get back Friday. Thanks again.

bturner2
04-11-2011, 11:50 AM
My set up is very similar to Thrall's. Did the same ACR "add a battery". Mounted my ACR and battery switch against the seat structure.

agarabaghi
04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
any of yall running an isolator?

bturner2
04-12-2011, 10:22 AM
The ACR is an isolator. This package is pretty much the easiest way to go.

http://www.marineboatsupplies.com/blue-sea-7650-add-a-battery?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Free&utm_campaign=GoogShopping