PDA

View Full Version : F150 turning Chinese

ahhudgins
04-08-2011, 08:34 PM
If you purchase replacement auto parts from the dealership, do you get American made parts or do they come from China and Japan? I had a few small projects to do on my F150 that I had let go over the winter and we are taking a short trip next weekend. Luckily I started two weeks ahead of time. I am about 3 miles away from Auto Zone and Advance Auto, so it was faster than going to the Ford Dealer.

It took 3 sets of rear brake drums (made in China) to get a good set. First set had not been balanced; the second set had a hole in the casting right where it had been machined on the I.D. The third set wasnít running true against the shoes when I turned the axle so I took them to my local garage and one drum was .010 out of round. I paid the $12 to have it turned.

First radiator (made in China) didnít have the bag of transmission line adapters so they had to order a whole new radiator. The second radiator had everything but the bottom port is called a ďuniversal portĒ and is slightly smaller than the original and it has o-rings to make up the difference. I still have a slight drip on that port that I have to rig tomorrow.

It seems that with the unemployment problem we have in the U.S. we could hire people to make better quality parts rather than send more of our jobs and money over seas. I would gladly pay more for my parts if they fit and I didnít have to waste 3 or 4 days to finish a 3 or 4-hour job.

Jerseydave
04-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I doubt that dealer parts are made in China, but I do know some are made in other countries such as Mexico, Canada, Korea, etc. (although did I read where some of you guys got aftermarket fuel pumps made in China?)

Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advanced auto buy the cheapest parts they can find so they can brag about how cheap they are. Bottom line, you get what you pay for.
Who do you think sells better tools, Auto Zone or Snap on?
Better parts, Auto Zone or the Ford dealer?

I use to sell Mac Tools when they were all made in the U.S.A.
The China tools usually break the first time you use them. How good can those China parts be then? Certainly not made to the same specs as OEM parts from the dealer.

Sullivan
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm a big Ford fan after what has transpired over the last few years with bailouts. I'm waiting for an opportunity to replace one of my cars or truck with one now.

I was suprised when I drove in to a Toyota dealership a few weeks ago and looked at a Tundra. The Tundra is more American made than any other truck (thats what the dealer told me). If I remember correctly the truck is 82 or 84% made in the US and that was listed right on the Materials or Origin sticker.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-09-2011, 01:47 AM
I'm a big Ford fan after what has transpired over the last few years with bailouts. I'm waiting for an opportunity to replace one of my cars or truck with one now.

I was suprised when I drove in to a Toyota dealership a few weeks ago and looked at a Tundra. The Tundra is more American made than any other truck (thats what the dealer told me). If I remember correctly the truck is 82 or 84% made in the US and that was listed right on the Materials or Origin sticker.

Bottom line is where does the money go when you buy a Toyota? I'm thinking it doesn't stay in the U.S.

cf_koch
04-09-2011, 07:03 AM
A large portion of that Toyota purchase price goes to the dealer where you bought the vehicle and its employees, the American line workers at the factory, parts suppliers, and advertisers etc that have jobs in this country that can spend money buying Chinese goods at Walmart. No matter where the profits go the foreign manufacturers do create jobs in this country.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Its just like Steve Jobs of Apple said, to build the IPad here it would have to sell for 5,000 wheres its made in china and sells for 500. All larger corporations are going to source for the cheaper materials.

waterbug
04-09-2011, 10:05 AM
I am the business manager at a Ford Dealer. I'm not sure if any parts ade made in China, but a couple of the paint colors are. We were notified by FMC that there will be a shortage of Tuxedo Black and Redfire due to the fact that those to pigments come from China. So if you are in the market for one of these colors, it may be hard to get....

Sullivan
04-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Bottom line is where does the money go when you buy a Toyota? I'm thinking it doesn't stay in the U.S.

I would venture to say having the manufacturing plant here in the US benifits us way more than having a US owned company having the manufacturing done in another company.

ahhudgins
04-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Its just like Steve Jobs of Apple said, to build the IPad here it would have to sell for 5,000 wheres its made in china and sells for 500. All larger corporations are going to source for the cheaper materials.

Exactly, but sooner or later we (and China) are going to reach a tipping point where we are producing next to nothing and China will be filthy rich. I'm sure that my brake drums were made with cheap steel and machined by a 15 year old kid making $5 a day. OSHA, the EPA, insurance companies, unions, lawyers, and the IRS make it impossible to run a manufacturing facilitly in the U.S. I understand coporations looking for cheaper materials and labor, but eventually it is going to kill our economy. Ever since ABC ran the series "Made in America", I am constantly looking at everything I buy. Hardly anything is made in the USA...it's sickening.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Exactly, but sooner or later we (and China) are going to reach a tipping point where we are producing next to nothing and China will be filthy rich. I'm sure that my brake drums were made with cheap steel and machined by a 15 year old kid making $5 a day. OSHA, the EPA, insurance companies, unions, lawyers, and the IRS make it impossible to run a manufacturing facilitly in the U.S. I understand coporations looking for cheaper materials and labor, but eventually it is going to kill our economy. Ever since ABC ran the series "Made in America", I am constantly looking at everything I buy. Hardly anything is made in the USA...it's sickening.

Very well said.

TX.X-30 fan
04-10-2011, 12:32 PM

Ford too a huge bailout too, it was called something else.

jpattigr
04-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Ford's bailout was selling Volvo, Jag and Land Rover and re investing that cash into new very good product!
They did a very good job in turning their product line around.

jpattigr
04-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Read the thread with great interest, have been in the wholesale and retail trade for almost 30 years.
I have been to the factories in Asia and the wages are about $50 to $60 a month, 6 day work week and 10 hour days, You do the math! BTW, the factory jobs are good jobs in those markets.
The bigger issue is that no one in NA wants to work in factories anymore, we want (and for our children) to be the designers, marketers, etc. No one wants the factory jobs it seems (that may be changing now but the recession will end and then what??)
Interesting times! Not sure what the correct answer is!

tommcat
04-10-2011, 10:27 PM
If you purchase replacement auto parts from the dealership, do you get American made parts or do they come from China and Japan? I had a few small projects to do on my F150 that I had let go over the winter and we are taking a short trip next weekend. Luckily I started two weeks ahead of time. I am about 3 miles away from Auto Zone and Advance Auto, so it was faster than going to the Ford Dealer.

It took 3 sets of rear brake drums (made in China) to get a good set. First set had not been balanced; the second set had a hole in the casting right where it had been machined on the I.D. The third set wasnít running true against the shoes when I turned the axle so I took them to my local garage and one drum was .010 out of round. I paid the $12 to have it turned.

First radiator (made in China) didnít have the bag of transmission line adapters so they had to order a whole new radiator. The second radiator had everything but the bottom port is called a ďuniversal portĒ and is slightly smaller than the original and it has o-rings to make up the difference. I still have a slight drip on that port that I have to rig tomorrow.

It seems that with the unemployment problem we have in the U.S. we could hire people to make better quality parts rather than send more of our jobs and money over seas. I would gladly pay more for my parts if they fit and I didnít have to waste 3 or 4 days to finish a 3 or 4-hour job.
those werent ford parts. there is no "bag of adapters" or "universal" port on a ford factory radiator. i have never had a ford drum out of balance or out of round. you likely got aftermarket parts sold to you at ford prices, it happens quite frequently.

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
those werent ford parts. there is no "bag of adapters" or "universal" port on a ford factory radiator. i have never had a ford drum out of balance or out of round. you likely got aftermarket parts sold to you at ford prices, it happens quite frequently.

I went to the Ford dealership and asked the parts person if their drums were made in the USA or not. She said "I have no idea, but the box will say Ford Motorcraft on it". The drums from Ford are $99 versus $59 at Auto Zone. I will have no way to know if the Ford drums are American made unless I order them, they are not in stock.

The Auto Zone radiator had two different adaptors for different sized transmission lines. My original radiator had the line adaptors installed. The "Universal Port" on the Auto Zone radiator is a piece of crap and I ended up cutting a small piece of inner tube and wrapping it around the radiator port and using two hose clamps to stop it from dripping.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2011, 10:15 AM
I went to the Ford dealership and asked the parts person if their drums were made in the USA or not. She said "I have no idea, but the box will say Ford Motorcraft on it". The drums from Ford are $99 versus $59 at Auto Zone. I will have no way to know if the Ford drums are American made unless I order them, they are not in stock.

The Auto Zone radiator had two different adaptors for different sized transmission lines. My original radiator had the line adaptors installed. The "Universal Port" on the Auto Zone radiator is a piece of crap and I ended up cutting a small piece of inner tube and wrapping it around the radiator port and using two hose clamps to stop it from dripping.

I guess sometimes you get what you pay for.

tommcat
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Almost nothing from ford is made in the US, most of it is mexican. my point is that if you got any kind of universal port at all, that is not a factory ford component. our stuff has the correct fittings for the vehicle and the line snaps right in. there are no loose parts in the box at all. but there are a lot of dealerships selling aftermarket parts and calling them "ford" so they can increae profits. i have even seen them swapped into ford boxes and handed to technicians to install under warranty.

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 11:24 AM
I guess sometimes you get what you pay for.

I firmly believe that, but I will be highly disappointed if the Ford parts are not made in the USA. The drums might be machined by a better shop in Mexico than China but I'm just tired of all our money leaving this country.

We went to the NHRA races in Charlotte this weekend (Iíll post some pictures tonight) and as we walked through the gift shops I could not find ONE clothing item that was made in the USA.

tommcat
04-18-2011, 11:31 AM
I firmly believe that, but I will be highly disappointed if the Ford parts are not made in the USA.

then prepare for dissapointment. i cant think of the last part i installed that was made in the usa.

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 12:21 PM
then prepare for dissapointment. i cant think of the last part i installed that was made in the usa.

Sad, very sad. I could open up a factory in the U.S. to make brake drums and put some people to work. But in order to get them to give up their welfare checks I would have to pay them $16/hr, give them 3 weeks vacation the first year, 10 personal days, health insurance, 401K, and then the unions would move in and my brake drums would end up costing $375 a piece.

tommcat
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
yep, and you can thank unions for pretty much all of that. and the screwed up sense of entitlement that everyone seems to have these days.

milkmania
04-19-2011, 10:24 AM

It is very difficult, but I am trying also.