PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Now Please!!!

mjb100798
04-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I know this is an odd request but for some reason i cant get my boat(97 ps 205) to even turn over now after some alternator issues.. ive done everything i can think of as far as checking voltages/kill switch/neutral switch, now at my witts end.....if anyone out there is electronically inclined please feel free to give me a call at 478-919-1879 (Jay), I'm trying to get it to the lake tomorrow and would rather talk to someone over the phone if possible...again thanks in advance for the help...

BGcraft
04-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Jay, not in a spot to call but sure sounds like the fuel pump. And if u can verify spark definitely fuel related...engine not getting gas.

Maybe spool up a search on fuel pumps. Some peeps have had luck replacing the just pump modules.

Found this for you:
These are the part numbers for the fuel pumps:
AC Delco EP356
Airtex E2044
NAPA P74118

Hopeful this can get u lake bound rather than need for a MC pump full assembly order.

Good luck...feel for u man complete PITA when u ready to wet the hull.

BG

Viktimize
04-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Jay, not in a spot to call but sure sounds like the fuel pump. And if u can verify spark definitely fuel related...engine not getting gas.

Maybe spool up a search on fuel pumps. Some peeps have had luck replacing the just pump modules.

Found this for you:
These are the part numbers for the fuel pumps:
AC Delco EP356
Airtex E2044
NAPA P74118

Hopeful this can get u lake bound rather than need for a MC pump full assembly order.

Good luck...feel for u man complete PITA when u ready to wet the hull.

BG

Why would a bad fuel pump, cause the electrical system to not turn the starter?? Is there some kind of lockout in the ECM?? I've never heard of this on any other vehicle before. :confused:

OP, I don't know exactly what you have checked. But obviously battery voltage would be first, which I assume you checked. If battery is good, I would just check for voltage at the starter while you crank it. If you have voltage there and the starter is not engaging, you need a new starter. If you don't have voltage, you need to start working back. Starter relay, ignition switch, etc.

airdrew99
04-08-2011, 08:52 PM
BGcraft,
I chatted with Jay on the phone about an hour ago. He said the engine is not turning over at all. The starter is not engaging and the starter relay/solenoid is not clicking either. I helped him troubleshoot over the phone. He should be getting back to me or responding on here when he figures something out.

Drew

Table Rocker
04-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Check the main breaker. There should be a red button (with a 50 on it) on or near your engine. Push that button to reset.

JimN
04-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I know this is an odd request but for some reason i cant get my boat(97 ps 205) to even turn over now after some alternator issues.. ive done everything i can think of as far as checking voltages/kill switch/neutral switch, now at my witts end.....if anyone out there is electronically inclined please feel free to give me a call at 478-919-1879 (Jay), I'm trying to get it to the lake tomorrow and would rather talk to someone over the phone if possible...again thanks in advance for the help...

By "turn over', do you mean crank or start? If it's not cranking at all, make sure it's in neutral. If it's in neutral, use a screwdriver or something to connect the two screws on the neutral safety switch and try it again. If that doesn't get it to crank, use jumper cables directly from the battery and go to the starter.

Who did the work? There's no reason it shouldn't crank if the only thing worked on is the altermnator.

liledgy
04-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I second, jumping between battery and solonoid, bypassing the positive battery cable.

mjb100798
04-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks all who replied, talked Drew(thanks again for calling), JimN, it doesnt do anything period all i hear is the electric choke for like two seconds but thats it...as for the breaker on the back its only sticking out and i've tried pushing it in but it wont budge so i guess its already in... its a rebuilt marine starter that i just bought today(could be bad), neutral switch was cut by P.O., kill switch works...I have voltage at the starter/alternator/ignition switch....
1. tried the jumper from the truck to battery= no go
2. tried jumper from starter to battery to bypass solenoid = no go
3. have constant 12v on one side of solenoid but not the other when turning the key
4. bought a new solenoid from oreily's(looks just like the other one but with an extra post, too dark for me try this next...will have to wait till the am... TIME FOR A MUCH NEEDED A DRINK!!!!!

matt
04-08-2011, 09:26 PM
sounds like a solenoid problem but jumping should have fixed that. I would look for a starter/alternator shop to check it out. A crappy starter-solenoid spark under a engine cover could be bad

BGcraft
04-08-2011, 09:42 PM
My fault gents thought turning over no fire.

Good luck Jay...sounds like u got the A team on it.

I'll keep my pie hole shut and gain wisdom over life of this thread!

Happy spring all.

carracer
04-08-2011, 10:09 PM

good luck from Ark. enjoyed the phone conversation

JimN
04-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks all who replied, talked Drew(thanks again for calling), JimN, it doesnt do anything period all i hear is the electric choke for like two seconds but thats it...as for the breaker on the back its only sticking out and i've tried pushing it in but it wont budge so i guess its already in... its a rebuilt marine starter that i just bought today(could be bad), neutral switch was cut by P.O., kill switch works...I have voltage at the starter/alternator/ignition switch....
1. tried the jumper from the truck to battery= no go
2. tried jumper from starter to battery to bypass solenoid = no go
3. have constant 12v on one side of solenoid but not the other when turning the key
4. bought a new solenoid from oreily's(looks just like the other one but with an extra post, too dark for me try this next...will have to wait till the am... TIME FOR A MUCH NEEDED A DRINK!!!!!

Look on the solenoid on the starter- it should have a second small diameter post and I would bet that the crank wire (yellow/red tracer or red/blue tracer) is on the wrong one. You can use a short section of wire to jumper from the battery cable to the posts and if you get it to crank with one of them, use it. You may also see a separate red wire nearby and that needs to be on the same post as the battery cable.

mjb100798
04-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Carracer...thanks for the call, will let you guys know something tomorrow...you guys are great...knew i could count on someone to give me shout...

JimN, the solenoid only had three posts, must be original...bought a new solenoid from oreilys and will try it out tomorrow and see what happens...

again thanks for all the advice...
Jay

samgreazy
04-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Keep us posted hope you get that thing running

Thrall
04-09-2011, 11:54 AM
If you have 12V to the main terminal and 12V to the trigger wire on the solenoid when you turn the key then the solenoid has to be bad. If it just clicked but didnt turn over that would mean the solenoid was engaging but the starter has a dead spot in the windings.
If no 12V to either post when there should be, then there's a short in the wiring somewhere or possibly a bad ignition switch (not likely).

mjb100798
04-09-2011, 02:35 PM
ok, heres the latest...i have 12v everywhere except on the other solenoid connection when i turn the key, even have 12v on the trigger wire....the solenoid is brand new but from oreillys and has the extra small post with the letter i on it, i assume this isnt needed so nothings hooked up to it...is it possible that i bought a bad new solenoid? This is driving me insane.....again thanks for all the help/calls...really appreciated...gonna take the new solenoid back and swap it out...

Jay

Jim@BAWS
04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't know where you are located. But by now with all the time you have spent, a dealer could have had you up and going and out the door.

Call tell them your situation, ask if you can wait. and have them do it

Jim@BAWS

mjb100798
04-09-2011, 03:14 PM
No dealers around here...

gatorguy
04-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Did you bypass the solenoid all together yet? Give that a shot just to confirm that the starter is good. It's less likely, but you could have a bad starter and solenoid.

JLeuck64
04-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Ummm.... is the ground cable connection good??? ;)

mjb100798
04-09-2011, 04:26 PM
How do I bypass the solenoid?

mjb100798
04-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Ok I just used a screwdriver got the engine to bump over? Where should I be looking next, just put a second new solenoid on, can I really be that unlucky and have 3 go bad in a 24hr period?

mjb100798
04-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Does the solenoid need to be grounded?

mjb100798
04-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Johnny, tell the idiot what he's won!!!! Got it, thanks for all the help guys.....

carracer
04-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Johnny, tell the idiot what he's won!!!! Got it, thanks for all the help guys.....

I know this was nerve racking but look on the bright side, you will be able to help someone else down the road with the lessons you have learned. I disagree that you run back to a dealer everytime, it feels good to figure things out for yourself and most labor charges are $100.00 plus per hour.

JLeuck64
04-09-2011, 06:39 PM

LOL... you got a great sense of humor!
(If ya ain't frustrated... ya ain't learnin!)

mjb100798
04-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Racer, agreed about the dealer, plus dont have within two hrs...i like figuring things out, what can i say..im a knucklebuster...not that i didnt need help...but now i know every dang wire on that boat now...LOL... again thanks for everyones help...

Jay

Viktimize
04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
So what was the problem?? Bad ground?

mjb100798
04-09-2011, 10:12 PM
How about no ground...just kept overlooking it cuz the solenoid is housed in that plastic thingy...then when i touched the two post with a screwdriver i knew something was missing...then it hit me..when i fixed the wiring from the alternator i completely forgot about the solenoid ground.... I'll chalk it up as a good learning experience and now know the state of all my wiring....

BGcraft
04-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Glad u got it sorted Jay.

Wisdom gained.

Good rest of the season!

BG

Jerseydave
04-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Well at least you can get out and ski. I'm pretty sure my boat will start, but the water temp here is still only 45! No drysuit so I guess I'll be waiting to jump in.

Glad to hear you got her fixed. Happy skiing!