PDA

View Full Version : Port rear ballast hard tank won't empty- but port rear Fly high will fill/empty

Eric2010MCX2
04-07-2011, 09:40 PM
So we put the full flyhigh system in a few weeks ago.

Last week when we went out the port rear pump would not fill ANYTHING. Today, when we were out, I popped the cover off the pump to make sure the impeller was ok, hit the switch real quick and watched it spin to make sure the pump was not seized.. everything checked out, so I put the cover back on the pump, and just for grins, hit the switch.. magically, it filled the sac and then I flipped the fly high valve and filled the tank.

Then, after I filled everything and checked out my new surf wake (which was awesome, especially since there were no sacs in the walkway), I emptied the sac. then I flipped the valve and went to empty the port hard tank and..........nothing.

we ended up towing it home with the port tank still full. I know it has water still in it b/c the we were driving down the lake with the boat tilted to the port side.

ColdTurkey
04-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey mate, I had some problems with my ballast not filling or emptying a few months ago. I opened up the ballast relay box and had a bit of a look around. I found that there is a long copper plate that supplies the positive power to the individual ballast pumps. It had a bit of corrosion on it where it attached to the port circuit breaker (trip switch) and when I cleaned her up it solved the problem.

Might not work for you but it's worth checking out.

Eric2010MCX2
04-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Mine fills and drains the sacs but will not empty the tank, so I dont think its a pump problem. I think its something to do with the valve or the hoses.

j4rowell
04-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Having the same issue.

nmcjr
04-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Depending on how it is routed, it sort of sounds like the vent might be getting blocked. If the vent daisy chains to the sac for instance, I have seen where the sac will collapse and block the vent, and if the vent is blocked, tanks will not empty. (sacs will because they can collapse and don't need to let air in)

ColdTurkey
04-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Hmmm, I don't have a sac with my hard tank yet so I'm not sure. nmcjr's answer makes a lot of sense to me though.

If the hard tank can't let air in it can't let water out because it can't collapse.

Jerseydave
04-10-2011, 09:08 PM
I am not an expert on the FlyHigh system, but I use one-way check valves on my rear fat sacs. They do create a really strong suction to help the fat sacs empty faster.

Your hard tanks should have a wide-open vent hose, make sure it is not pinched. Never use the check valves on hard tanks, they could collapse.

I've read on here that sometimes the clearance is tight for the ballast impellers. Some owners have taken their impellers and trimmed them slightly so they don't "bind up" after you put the cover on the pump.

Eric2010MCX2
04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
So the issue is fixed.

When you ask your buddy who is helping you do the install.. "are you SURE you routed each hose correctly on the back of the 3-way fly high valve?" and he swears up and down he did... you should go back and check.. they were put on the wrong positions.

Everything fills and empties correctly now :-)

Jerseydave
04-11-2011, 07:18 PM
So the issue is fixed.

When you ask your buddy who is helping you do the install.. "are you SURE you routed each hose correctly on the back of the 3-way fly high valve?" and he swears up and down he did... you should go back and check.. they were put on the wrong positions.

Everything fills and empties correctly now :-)

Glad to hear that you got it figured out.
Don't ever let your friend hook up your boat to your truck! :D