PDA

View Full Version : Difference between engine and tachometer hours?

Coloshadow
04-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Just notice yesterday that there is an hour meter on my tachometer. I have a 1985 S&S with 463 engine hours and 118 tachometer hours. My guess is once the tachometer hits a certain RPM, it spins that meter. What RPM would that be?

Thanks!

ski_king
04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Just notice yesterday that there is an hour meter on my tachometer. I have a 1985 S&S with 463 engine hours and 118 tachometer hours. My guess is once the tachometer hits a certain RPM, it spins that meter. What RPM would that be?

Thanks!

I am guessing you tachometer was replaced about 118 hours ago.

My 82 came only with the standard hourmeter. However when I updated my dash a few years ago, I replaced my dead tach with a new one that had the hour meter built into it and then used the orginal hourmeter location for a depth finder.

The hour meter within the tach runs any time the ignition is on.

On mine I even went so far to run the hours up on the tach hour meter to match the orginal hourmeter to keep the actual number of hours on the boat.

east tx skier
04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Agree with ski king. Unless you have the original hour meter, or some pretty meticulous service records, there's not way to determine the actual engine hours on your Ford.