PDA

View Full Version : Affixing folding platform brackets...

MakeMineaS&S
04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Just ordered a set of the OJ folding platform brackets for my '85 S&S and so far, they look EXCELLENT. Well-machined, well-built, etc.

Last night, I removed the platform and original brackets and have a couple of questions, (pictures included):

Question 1: There is a small bracket right in the center to help carry the load over the span of the platform. The new brackets do not appear to allow for this. What is the best way to work with the holes in the hull? Seal them up with lots of silicone? I'm tempted to reinstall the bracket into the hull, but not the screws that secure it to the platform. That way, the platform still has it to rest on when in place, but not being permanently attached would still allow the platform to fold. Thoughts?

Pic:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/p-r/Boat/DSC00661.jpg

Question 2: Upon removal, some of the silicone sealant on the center bracket brought a dime-sized piece of gelcoat with it, which can be seen in the upper photo. What's the best way to repair the spot on the hull? I can see raw fiberglass there, and I don't want water getting in there. Best ideas?

Pic:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/p-r/Boat/DSC00662.jpg

Any other good ideas since the platform is off right now? I'm gonna detail around the mounting points, but any other ideas would be welcomed!

Thrall
04-05-2011, 09:09 PM
If the platform will still fold with the center bracket, then yes I'd put it back on but not screw it to the deck like you said.
Use 3M 4500 (?) or 5200 to seal any unwanted holes or where the gelcoat is missing. I sealed the holes when I re-attached the swim brackets to my Prostar and also put a thin layer over a couple small damage spots like yours and it sealed well.

justinglow
04-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Did your brackets come off easily? I am wanting to this on my 86. Are they just lag bolted in?

Imawreck
04-05-2011, 11:49 PM
There is no two ways about it...they are a b*()(&tch to get off! Most of them are siliconed on when bolted, while others have an adhesive better than super glue used. I lucked out with the second of the two on mine. Once you commit, no going back. If you are careful, however, you will do minimal damage. I used a heat gun and gradually (and painfully slowly) heated the brackets in order to encourage the caulk or adhesive (cause you don't know till you pry one off) to losen it's grip. It did work, but even with my caution got me a couple quarter size chunks of gel coat pulled off the fiberglass. NOTE: if you're thinking these things will come off with a little gentle encouragement, think again...think more like 3lb mini sledge! Since I'm anal, I had those chuncks filled by a fiberglass guy before I installed the new brackets (even though they would be totally covered by the new brackets!). Needless to say, the install goes very easy, its the removal that leaves something to be desired.

H20skeefreek
04-06-2011, 09:08 AM
these platforms are thinner than the newer ones, how is the platform flex without the center bracket?

MakeMineaS&S
04-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Haven't mounted it yet. Home computer is crapping out, so I'm posting from work.

As far as removal, it actually came off really easy. All I had to do was wiggle it a little and it popped right off. It looks like it was lag-bolted right in.

When I re-mount, I'll let anyone know of any flex issues. I'll pick up some of that 3M stuff today and see what happens.

Luv2Ski
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
There is no two ways about it...they are a b*()(&tch to get off! Most of them are siliconed on when bolted, while others have an adhesive better than super glue used. I lucked out with the second of the two on mine. Once you commit, no going back. If you are careful, however, you will do minimal damage. I used a heat gun and gradually (and painfully slowly) heated the brackets in order to encourage the caulk or adhesive (cause you don't know till you pry one off) to losen it's grip. It did work, but even with my caution got me a couple quarter size chunks of gel coat pulled off the fiberglass. NOTE: if you're thinking these things will come off with a little gentle encouragement, think again...think more like 3lb mini sledge! Since I'm anal, I had those chuncks filled by a fiberglass guy before I installed the new brackets (even though they would be totally covered by the new brackets!). Needless to say, the install goes very easy, its the removal that leaves something to be desired.

Not usually that hard to remove, wonder if a PO got a little crazy with the adhesive.

100% silicon should work fine, suggest starting with lower adhesion products so you can remove next time without pulling the gel off.

If you have to leave the center bracket off for clearance issues, you might as well fill the holes with a paste-gelcoat since you need to do the same to repair that missing piece.

blakehardesty
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Im very interested in this. Keep posting pics and progress please

190 Skier
04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Also very interested in how these fold down brackets work. If they are easy to use, if they rattle or bounce and how well they support the swim step. Please keep the pictures coming!

pmkkdx
04-06-2011, 05:51 PM
shooting from memory of my old '83 S&S ... the platform was merely lag screws into the transom but I had a very difficult time keeping them tight ... I replaced with longer bolts inserted thru from the inside that were just long enough to clear the platform bracket with flat washer, lock washer and nylon insert lock nut (with flat washer on the inside) coated with silicon to fill any gaps between bolt & thru hole in hull ... never had another issue over the next 15 years. BUT what a PITA to get the bolts in from the inside due to the gas tank placement!

back to one of your questions ... personally, I would opt to leave the center bracket attached (re-attached) to the boat to offer some support in the middle of the platform when in the down position.

I would like to also see some pictures of this folding brackets once installed too!

MakeMineaS&S
04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Currently in the process of cleaning off the old silicone. What a PITA. Should have the mounting spacers mounted tonight and the platform brackets mocked up and new drill-holes on the platform marked.

Here are pics of the new brackets. They fold down, but not right at the transom, since the speedometer pitot tubes are inside the brackets, but it should give me 8-10 inches additional clearance when folded.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/p-r/Boat/DSC00663.jpg

Bracket stowed.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/p-r/Boat/DSC00664.jpg

Bracket deployed.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/p-r/Boat/DSC00666.jpg

Both brackets for comparison.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/p-r/Boat/DSC00667.jpg

Mounting spacers to align the brackets to the transom angle.

MakeMineaS&S
04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Dang image limiter. Last pic:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/p-r/Boat/DSC00665.jpg

Pitots inside the brackets, the limiting factor.

blakehardesty
04-06-2011, 11:36 PM
That boat looks just like mine. When I took my platform off to spruce it up last summer I noticed the screws had stripped in the middle bracket. I filled the holes and left the bracket off. I have had no problems (and im not a small man) so I would say you are good there.