PDA

View Full Version : Knee Replacements and skiing...

ProTour X9
04-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Well my old man is getting to be just that...old. Years of jump-skiing and working on his feet have got to him. He's in his early fifties and still slaloms into 28 off, but he's been finding it more and more painful for his knees. Anyways he seems to think that if he gets replacements that he won't be able to ski anymore. I'm just wondering if anybody out there knows anything on the subject. What should he do?

Doug.

barefoot
04-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I've had a couple of ACL surgeries on my Right knee, but no knee replacements to speak of. I think I ski harder now with my new knee than I did without the surgeries. In your case, my guess is that there will be a transitional period, but after that, there may be some risks that he'll have to weigh before chasing balls.

Jeff Lyman
04-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Doug, If he does go with all new knees and skis then please coment back here for others to understand the good and bad. I to am 50 and skied with pain for years and years in and out of the courses. I was addicted to ice packs and motrin. My knees should of been repaired many years ago but us guys dont do things like that when were supposed to. I believe my tendons to knee caps were partially torn for many years and got worse and worse. Most likely some smart healing and then rehabilitation would of saved me and the recent struggle after blowing out both at once in Jan! I am determined to ski this season even if its at beginner levels. Got 105 degrees of ROM tonight at PT.... that is very big deal to me.

Get those knees checked out NOW !

ahhudgins
04-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Well my old man is getting to be just that...old. Years of jump-skiing and working on his feet have got to him. He's in his early fifties and still slaloms into 28 off, but he's been finding it more and more painful for his knees. Anyways he seems to think that if he gets replacements that he won't be able to ski anymore. I'm just wondering if anybody out there knows anything on the subject. What should he do?

Doug.

What do you mean "old man"? I just turned 49 in March!! Ha Ha.
Iíve wondered the same thing myself. Iíve had the meniscus repaired on one knee and it has lasted about 10 years. Iím getting to the point that I have a lot of ďbone on boneĒ pain, but mostly when I stand on concrete all day long. I had to stop running after the surgery but I still do elliptical workouts at the gym and no pain when skiing. Knowing of the complications my boss has gone through after a total knee replacement; I find it hard to believe that a surgeon would give the OK.

If no one here has had a replacement, maybe your Dad can talk to a doctor and let us know.

pkskier
04-06-2011, 12:18 AM
I ski with a friend that is now 64 yrs old and 5 years ago he had both knees replaced at the same time and rehabed extremly hard and his skiing is as good as it ever was. We both ski at 36 mph and he hasn't missed a beat. On top of that he had both hips replaced 2 years ago also. So if your dad really wants to ski after having his knees replaced it will be up to him. Rehab is the key.

sethro
04-06-2011, 09:47 AM
One of my ski buddies, now 66, had one knee replaced three years ago. He mainly slaloms and tricks, and is right back to his previous level. He had it done in the fall, and was skiing by the next spring. His only hurdle was confidence with the repaired knee during trick skiing toe holds. Once he got that back, everything was fine.

Now, he is very physically fit person and has been his entire life. Still lifts weights regularly so I think that plays a major role.

ahhudgins
04-06-2011, 10:01 AM
That is really great news to hear. I also think that it depends a lot on the individual and their level of activity. My sister inlaw had a hip replacement and she is in her early 40s. The doctor told her "NO running or impact sports at all". She used to ski a little bit but now she is too scared to try again.

jbfootin
04-07-2011, 10:49 AM
One of my friends had 2 new knees last winter, and was barefooting by the end of summer. He even competed in Footstock last August. Big Jack is pretty hardcore, but he was out there and said that it felt betther than it has in years.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
If he wants to walk and not be in a wheelchair in his latter years he should find a new sport. I love all the anecdotal stories but lets see how they are in their 80's when healthy 80 year olds are still mobile.