PDA

View Full Version : 92 Prostar205 Interior Project

jsibert
04-05-2011, 12:08 AM
The interior replacement project has begun.....I have removed almost all of the skins (including the 3 million staples) and have emails out to all of the recommended interior guys on this forum. A couple of questions to start.....

I want to replace all of the wood seat bases and side panels, what is the preferred material and where do I buy it?

The wood strip inlays on the back seat foam are rotten, I assume that I can epoxy replacement wood strips back into these slots....has anyone else encountered this issue?

Also noticed a soft spot in my floor just behind my motor box in the center (the removable piece over the prop shaft. What is the easiest way to replace or re-inforce this section?

Also planning to replace most of the exterior decals, any suggestions on companies that reproduce the original designs?

I have owned this boat for 11 years and I am looking forward to giving it a fresh look....

rjracin240
04-05-2011, 11:52 AM
The interior replacement project has begun.....I have removed almost all of the skins (including the 3 million staples) and have emails out to all of the recommended interior guys on this forum. A couple of questions to start.....

Also planning to replace most of the exterior decals, any suggestions on companies that reproduce the original designs?

Try this web site for your decals, Jim is a member of team talk and very helpful.

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/

mayo93prostar
04-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Regarding the rear floor, I have same problem with my 93 prostar 190 because the floor is an aluminum honeycomb material that is 1 inch thick and mine has delaminated and sagging. I have looked for the sheet material but it is pretty expensive so I plan to replace with either marine grade plywood or hardwood plywood and coat it with epoxy resin to seal it up. My boat stays in the garage when not used so I am not too worried about the wood rotting. I hate to put wood in a boat that has very little or none but it is more reasonable price. That is unless someone knows of an economical source for 1-inch think aluminum honeycomb sheet material. The last I priced it, one 5x8 sheet was over $300.

tph
04-06-2011, 02:29 AM
"The wood strip inlays on the back seat foam are rotten, I assume that I can epoxy replacement wood strips back into these slots....has anyone else encountered this issue?
reproduce the original designs?"

Yes, you can do just that. I replaced a few of them when I did the upholstery on my '89 Prostar. Make a paper pattern, trace it onto 1/4 inch plywood, cut, and epoxy into seat slots.

DooSPX
04-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Try this web site for your decals, Jim is a member of team talk and very helpful.

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/

agreed, their number is in my sig. I got all the decals for my 91 through them.

bikeman
04-07-2011, 09:54 PM
I've had the stickers for several years and haven't had the gumption to go try to remove the old ones yet - or figured out how to align the new ones. subscribing hoping to hear how ya'll do it.

i also need to get an observer seat base done. last time i had something done, it didn't have the "raised outer edge". I have a message into mike mag, and going to hit up mastercraftskins.com - any other suggestions for a 1995 prostar observer seat base recover job?

thanks!
Chris

web
04-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Also noticed a soft spot in my floor just behind my motor box in the center (the removable piece over the prop shaft. What is the easiest way to replace or re-inforce this section?

I've got the same thing in my '91 190 and will be wrapping a piece of birch plywood in fiberglass and epoxy for a replacement. I'll take pictures and (assuming it turns out okay) post them over the next couple weeks. BTW, mine is not the aluminum honeycomb that others have described. It's a fiberglassed plywood and it looks like water was able to get to the wood where there was a hole cut to access the prop shaft below.

wetfoot100
04-07-2011, 11:13 PM
This is just a thought, but if this area behind the motor box has 1 inch thick material, couldn't you use some of that 1 inch plastic decking that is used for building decks? The stuff would be relatively easy to cut into the right size and you wouldn't have to worry about rot. Just a thought.

jsibert
04-16-2011, 10:19 PM
The interior is out and shipped to Jim.....during the next three weeks, we will be taking on the following:
- Carpet extraction and replacement
- Replace the plywood on the side panels
- Replacing all of the decals (after a complete detail)

I will post a few before and after pictures.

cbryan70
04-16-2011, 10:21 PM
agreed, their number is in my sig. I got all the decals for my 91 through them.

Does Bawls give you a discount to for promoting his business?