PDA

View Full Version : X45, X35 or X25 best for wakesurfing?

MuskokaJ
04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I am interested to hear what is the best Mastercraft for wakesurfing, out of the following:

X45
X35
X25

The only factor that I am interested in (for this comparison) is the size and quality of the wake (not in stock ballast form, but properly weighted for surfing). Please don't say the Enzo is the best surf wake. Even if it is, I don't want a Centurion boat. ;-) Also, I know that the X55 or X80 might produce better wakes for surfing than the 3 boats listed, but I want to keep it at a max of 24 feet.

Sooner or later, Mastercraft needs to make a surf-specific boat! Anybody aware of plans for that in the future?

Thanks for your help!

PWTXstar
04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
It looks like the guys at Slayshtank / Shredstixx in Austin are trying out Mastercrafts from TSR. You might give one of them a shout and see which boat worked best for them. Here are some edits and stills from their site.

http://slayshtank.com/2011/04/slayshtank-wakesurfing-wakesurf-photo-of-the-year-candidate-1/

http://slayshtank.com/2011/03/wakesurfingmastercraft/

http://slayshtank.com/2011/03/slayshtank-wakesurf-a-new-edit-from-matt-parrish-feat-chase-hazen/

MuskokaJ
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Impressive wake on the X35. And also, quite impressed with the X15. The X15 is a little too close to what I have now (X2). Looking to go bigger for a larger surf wake, and longer pocket. Thanks for the links, great vids.

josepcedwards
04-04-2011, 06:00 PM
X25 Hands down! Thats what it was built for!

FourFourty
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM
The first link for slayshtank is behind a CSX220 which is the same hull as the X25. I have heard the 25 has an incredible surf wake, But have also heard the 45 is pretty good as well. No real life experience yet, so.... I suck. I will be able to comment on the 25 as soon as I can put my new boat in the water up here..... Month minimum :mad:

And the 45 is technically over 24'....so you are narrowed down to 2 boats....:D

Stixx
04-04-2011, 08:26 PM
these shots were taken behind the X35, and in our humble opinion, the 35 throws the best wave of the MC line. we too would like to see a surf edition MC, maybe in 2012.

http://slayshtank.com/2011/03/tsrmastercraftwakesurf/

stay tuned for a whole season of wakesurfing highlights from Shred Stixx and MasterCraft by slayshTank Productions. many good things in the works.

if anyone has any questions, feel free to email or call us direct, info@shredstixx.com or 512 669 1124

we are currently offering MC TeamTalk members 10% off on any new Stixx.

MuskokaJ
04-05-2011, 05:29 PM
these shots were taken behind the X35, and in our humble opinion, the 35 throws the best wave of the MC line. we too would like to see a surf edition MC, maybe in 2012.

http://slayshtank.com/2011/03/tsrmastercraftwakesurf/

stay tuned for a whole season of wakesurfing highlights from Shred Stixx and MasterCraft by slayshTank Productions. many good things in the works.

if anyone has any questions, feel free to email or call us direct, info@shredstixx.com or 512 669 1124

we are currently offering MC TeamTalk members 10% off on any new Stixx.

Thanks for the response. Great pics. Can I ask how you have the X35 weighted to optimize the surf wake? And when you say you feel the 35 throws the best wave of the MC line, I am assuming you have done some comparisons with the 45 and 25?

Thanks so much for your advice. It's always great to hear from people that have first-hand experience, particularly in testing multiple hulls. Much appreciated.

CLTMC
04-05-2011, 06:56 PM
I am interested to hear what is the best Mastercraft for wakesurfing, out of the following:

X45
X35
X25

The only factor that I am interested in (for this comparison) is the size and quality of the wake (not in stock ballast form, but properly weighted for surfing). Please don't say the Enzo is the best surf wake. Even if it is, I don't want a Centurion boat. ;-) Also, I know that the X55 or X80 might produce better wakes for surfing than the 3 boats listed, but I want to keep it at a max of 24 feet.

Sooner or later, Mastercraft needs to make a surf-specific boat! Anybody aware of plans for that in the future?
Thanks for your help!

I have had the chance to surf most of the MC line up repeatedly. My picks are based on ease of setting up the boat and wakesurf wake size and shape.

1) X-45 Easy to set up and Huge!!!
2) X-25 Easy to set up and big!
3) X-35 wake was nice but took more time to set up.

weight set up, port factory filled, 750lb sac port rear locker,550 tube sac port side storage,4people in the port rear of the boat, 1/4 kgb filled, 2 people in the port bow.

Make sure you get the tower camera option; you can adjust the camera angel to hit the sweet spot. You can get some great wakesurf footage!!:twocents:

MuskokaJ
04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I have had the chance to surf most of the MC line up repeatedly. My picks are based on ease of setting up the boat and wakesurf wake size and shape.

1) X-45 Easy to set up and Huge!!!
2) X-25 Easy to set up and big!
3) X-35 wake was nice but took more time to set up.

weight set up, port factory filled, 750lb sac port rear locker,550 tube sac port side storage,4people in the port rear of the boat, 1/4 kgb filled, 2 people in the port bow.

Make sure you get the tower camera option; you can adjust the camera angel to hit the sweet spot. You can get some great wakesurf footage!!:twocents:

Interesting. I wonder if your observations about set-up on the 35 have to do with the deep-V, and that perhaps it requires more weight to get a better wake? Also surprising to hear your opinion that the 25 has a better wake than the 35.

I'd be interested to hear Stixx chime in on your observations. Thanks.

MuskokaJ
04-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I searched some other threads from the past that have covered similar topics, and someone pointed out that they believed that the deeper V hulls produce a better surf wake. If so, that would point more towards the X35 and X25, as opposed to the X45.

Any truth to this? I suppose it makes sense, given that the more water that is displaced by the hull, the larger the wave (in theory).

Thoughts?

blakehardesty
04-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I have surfed a 45 and it was sick. Thats the only experience I have other than my buddies Supra that we normally use.

Cmpdman
04-06-2011, 11:23 PM
X45 has an awesome surf wake. I haven't tried the others but will on an x 55 soon. X45 full front ballast, full port ballast, 3 or 4 people in the rear port side, perfect pass=great surf wake. We would surf onto the platform, kick up our board, grab a drink, get back on the board and go back out... Pretty fun.

MuskokaJ
04-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Based on the responses to this thread, and my research in other areas, it almost seems to be a toss-up with these 3 boats (in terms of surf wake), with maybe a slightly higher response rate for the X-45.

scott023
04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Based on the responses to this thread, and my research in other areas, it almost seems to be a toss-up with these 3 boats (in terms of surf wake), with maybe a slightly higher response rate for the X-45.

I've surfed the 35 and the 45, and IMO the 45's wake is far superior to the 35. Easier to work with, and it has a better wake on the Starboard side to boot.

MuskokaJ
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Scott023, would you say the starboard wake on the 45 is cleaner, larger, or both? I surf starboard side (goofy).

scott023
04-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Scott023, would you say the starboard wake on the 45 is cleaner, larger, or both? I surf starboard side (goofy).

The 45's starboard wake is cleaner and bigger with factory ballast. If you throw a 450lb Fatsac in the SB rear locker, the SB wake is fantastic.

BoulderX45
04-08-2011, 01:37 PM
The 45's starboard wake is cleaner and bigger with factory ballast. If you throw a 450lb Fatsac in the SB rear locker, the SB wake is fantastic.

Scott023,
Where do you set your wake plate with this setup:)

MuskokaJ
04-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Scott023, you mention with factory ballast it is cleaner and bigger. How about with some significant surf ballast? My concern is that the 45 will require significantly more ballast weight than the 35 and 25 to have a major impact on the wake. 35 and 25 are shorter (of course), but also have deeper-vee hulls, resulting in a hull design that reacts better to ballast weight. At least, that is my theory. ;-) Any comment on this? The thing that intrigues me about the 35, for example, is that the hull is the deepest, and also the freeboard is the highest (which theoretically would respond well to extra ballast weight).

scott023
04-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Scott023,
Where do you set your wake plate with this setup:)

At about 80%.

dreddy
05-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know the basis of the X35 hull? Aside from the pickle fork is it based on the X30 or is it an entirely new design?

CottagerGreg
05-31-2011, 03:59 PM
I think the x-35 is the sharpest looking and is feature packed too as a boat.

If you buy a x-35 or x-45 I would love to come try out a slaysh session. I am in the Muskoka area every weekend :)