PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory PFD for all ages while on the boat!

Sodar
04-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Just read this on another website. Pretty ridiculous...

Just got a debriefing on what went on that the National Boating Safety Advisory Council (NBSAC) meeting over the weekend with the Coast Guard. A proposal/resolution to mandate PFD wearing for boaters (any and all ages) passed by a 15 to 5 vote. Next step is to have 12 "town hall" public meetings across the country to gather public input (this process and the evaluation may take as much as 2-3 years). Maybe more troubling was the fact that the National Park Service has bought on to this concept and Lake Mead has been identified as one of the "test" lakes for the one-year program starting January 1, 2012. Pine Flats up in the Fresno area has just started its one-year test program on April 1. It's going to take a major push-back on the part of boaters to squash this thing.

Willski
04-04-2011, 03:03 PM
PDF? Acrobat is a free download! I know I'm a smarta**.

That would stink to have to wear PFDs all of the time.

Sodar
04-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Fixed, smarta**! :)

Double D
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
It doesn't matter, don't you know this will all be gone in 2012?? :)

Reminds me of the helmet laws for motorcycle riders. It may be smart to wear them but let US be the ones to determine how smart we are going to be.

FourFourty
04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
It doesn't matter, don't you know this will all be gone in 2012?? :)

Reminds me of the helmet laws for motorcycle riders. It may be smart to wear them but let US be the ones to determine how smart we are going to be.

Most states do have helmet laws dont they?? Mine does :mad:

I dont mind the helmet law, because I think its a very good idea to wear one on a bike....however, I can swim, so I dont need a PFD on the boat....that would suck.

cutlerdaddy
04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I cant imagine having to wear a life jacket all the time. It would really suck...

2RLAKE
04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
i have my PFD stuffed with all that 'bama money ....

Skipper
04-04-2011, 07:41 PM
That's gonna throw a huge wrench into the swimsuit thread!!!!

Duane D
04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
LOL Skipper, that was funny!

CantRepeat
04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Wow, that's not going to be fun... at all. I would hope all the boat manufactures get a group of heavy weight lobbyist on this pretty fast.

Willski
04-04-2011, 11:36 PM
That's gonna throw a huge wrench into the swimsuit thread!!!!

Wow. Didn't think about that. That might be worse than wearing one all the time!!

Although the way some people drive, they should be wearing on at all times.

UrbantuxTN
04-05-2011, 12:19 AM
For those interested you can find the full text of the resolution as well as meeting minutes at uscg (http://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/contentView.do?contentTypeId=2&channelId=-33185&contentId=308387&programId=155208&programPage=%2Fep%2Fprogram%2Feditorial.jsp&pageTypeId=13489&BV_SessionID=@@@@1538136988.1301973287@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadfdeilfkhfcfjgcfgfdffhdghm.0)

The resolution recommends PFD's be worn if meeting the following criteria:

a. personal watercraft regardless of length
b. human-powered vessels (such as canoes, kayaks, rowboats, etc.)
regardless of length
c. any vessel less than 18-feet in length
d. for any person towed while engaged in watersports

It also states they should get public input and base any final decision on public opinion of the proposed changes.

Cobra Rob
04-05-2011, 12:41 AM
For those interested you can find the full text of the resolution as well as meeting minutes at uscg (http://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/contentView.do?contentTypeId=2&channelId=-33185&contentId=308387&programId=155208&programPage=%2Fep%2Fprogram%2Feditorial.jsp&pageTypeId=13489&BV_SessionID=@@@@1538136988.1301973287@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadfdeilfkhfcfjgcfgfdffhdghm.0)

It also states they should get public input and base any final decision on public opinion of the proposed changes.

Outside of the 18' thing that is about the same as now... Glad I got the X-45 :D Girls come with us.. no need for the life jacket on this boat...

willyt
04-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Outside of the 18' thing that is about the same as now... Glad I got the X-45 :D Girls come with us.. no need for the life jacket on this boat...

It might just be Ohio, but I thought there was a length minimum and it was 16 ft as is...

Muttley
04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm wondering when that was posted on that site. It says the test program starts on April 1st

They might be able to make you keep them on the boat, but I doubt it's something they could enforce you to wear.

supturb89
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm wondering when that was posted on that site. It says the test program starts on April 1st

They might be able to make you keep them on the boat, but I doubt it's something they could enforce you to wear.

Sure they could enforce you to wear it. Just like they enforce you to wear your seat-belt. If you don't wear it and they catch you, you get a fine. You can choose not to, but they are going to make you pay if you don't.

MIskier
04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
I wonder if they would stop and check if the vest are USCG approved. No one in my family even has a CG approved vest, only comp ski vests.

ProTour X9
04-05-2011, 05:14 PM
EDIT..sorry didn't read it that thoroughly...

bturner2
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
This is yet another tax being passed off as safety legislation. Anyone want to take bets that if this actually goes in to effect that the size local law enforcement presence doesn't double. This will be like a license to rob people on the lake blind.

Fatalities on the lakes has been dropping consistently for years. This is just another example of big government telling you how live your life. If you like this wait and see what our current president will have in store for us in his next term when he doesn't have to worry about another reelection.

Sodar
04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow, that's not going to be fun... at all. I would hope all the boat manufactures get a group of heavy weight lobbyist on this pretty fast.

It's going to take a lot more than a fledgling industry to avoid legislation like this!

This is probably tongue in cheek, but still... this year, 18'... next 20'.... following year 25'. I hate the slippery slope retards on the news, but I can see something like this heading that direction.

It might just be Ohio, but I thought there was a length minimum and it was 16 ft as is...

See above

This is yet another tax being passed off as safety legislation. Anyone want to take bets that if this actually goes in to effect that the size local law enforcement presence doesn't double. This will be like a license to rob people on the lake blind.

Fatalities on the lakes has been dropping consistently for years. This is just another example of big government telling you how live your life. If you like this wait and see what our current president will have in store for us in his next term when he doesn't have to worry about another reelection.

Exactly.

Trump 2012 :rolleyes:

UrbantuxTN
04-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I wonder if they would stop and check if the vest are USCG approved. No one in my family even has a CG approved vest, only comp ski vests.

I can tell you that they check here, not the skier but they verify there is a USCG approved vest for everyone on board. Currently it is perfectly OK to where a comp vest while boarding, tubing, skiing, etc..

Cobra Rob
04-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I can tell you that they check here, not the skier but they verify there is a USCG approved vest for everyone on board. Currently it is perfectly OK to where a comp vest while boarding, tubing, skiing, etc..

Same here. We have had several times in the summer they asked us to have everyone on the boat grab a jacket. Any that didn't look right they asked to see the label for coast guard rating.

They also wouldn't let us keep the cheap orange ones in the multi-pack. Had them on board to meet requirements. Keeping 18 jackets takes up a ton of room.. Have closer to 20 ish I would say so there are different sizes plus the non-approved ones for boarding..

craig3972
04-06-2011, 12:34 AM
I am not even in the US and this irritates me

MIskier
04-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Same here. We have had several times in the summer they asked us to have everyone on the boat grab a jacket. Any that didn't look right they asked to see the label for coast guard rating.

They also wouldn't let us keep the cheap orange ones in the multi-pack. Had them on board to meet requirements. Keeping 18 jackets takes up a ton of room.. Have closer to 20 ish I would say so there are different sizes plus the non-approved ones for boarding..

We keep the orange ones on the boat as well, luckily we have never been asked to show that the vests were CG approved just that we had enough in the boat for those aboard.

jeffbare
04-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Mandatory life jackets instituted at California lake

Posted on April 08, 2011

Jumping off your boat for a swim in Pine Flat Lake, Calif., without a life jacket?

Anyone - including boaters - found swimming more than 100 feet from shore without a life jacket could now face a $175 fine as part of the new life jacket regulations put into place April 1 by the Army Corps of Engineers, which manages the lake.

In addition to life jackets now being mandatory for all swimmers outside designated swim areas, new Corps of Engineers regulations say Coast Guard-approved life jackets must be worn by:

•Everyone aboard non-motorized vessels, regardless of length, at all times.
•Everyone aboard motorized vessels up to 16 feet in length at all times.
•Everyone aboard motorized vessels 16 feet in length or larger when under way (except when powered by a trolling motor or if you are inside a fully enclosed cabin or the boat is stationary).

"Unlike state agencies, or even the U.S. Coast Guard, the Corps of Engineers can make this kind of change without any public comment," Boat U.S. vice president of government affairs Margaret Podlich said in a statement.

"As part of a multiyear study, they have instituted similar requirements in the Pittsburgh area and some lakes in Mississippi," she added. "While the word 'study' implies a temporary ruling, the Corps says they are considering more permanent life jacket rules in the future that would cover much larger geographical areas."

The Corps of Engineers is the nation's largest provider of outdoor recreation, operating more than 2,500 recreation areas at 456 sites (mostly lakes) in 43 states and leasing an additional 1,800 sites to state or local park and recreation authorities or private interests.

Boaters are encouraged to share their thoughts about these requirements by logging in here to send e-mail comments to the Pine Flat Lake park manager and their members of Congress.

DooSPX
04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
WOW! Thats insane... In florida, at least on my lake you have to have a USCGA vest if you you are skiing, tubing, wakeboarding, surfing, etc.

ShamrockIV
04-08-2011, 02:43 PM

whats the big deal here?? except for the 18 foot deal all the others conform to current laws

east tx skier
04-08-2011, 03:28 PM
WOW! Thats insane... In florida, at least on my lake you have to have a USCGA vest if you you are skiing, tubing, wakeboarding, surfing, etc.

In Texas, you don't have to wear a vest at all if you are skiing. You just have to have an approved vest in the boat for the rider. My vest is not CGA. Trickers routinely go without vests.

east tx skier
04-08-2011, 03:30 PM

In Texas, you don't have to wear a vest at all if you are skiing. You just have to have an approved vest in the boat for the rider. My vest is not CGA, but it has done a fine job protecting my ribs a time or two.

Trickers routinely go without vests.

DooSPX
04-08-2011, 03:39 PM
In Texas, you don't have to wear a vest at all if you are skiing. You just have to have an approved vest in the boat for the rider. My vest is not CGA, but it has done a fine job protecting my ribs a time or two.

Trickers routinely go without vests.

I wish I did not have to have a USCGA vest, but I just bought a O'Neill Assault Lumbar Support vest. Can't wait to give it a try, hopefully tomorrow.

ahhudgins
04-08-2011, 03:53 PM
In Texas, you don't have to wear a vest at all if you are skiing. You just have to have an approved vest in the boat for the rider. My vest is not CGA. Trickers routinely go without vests.

I better double check our laws, but as far as I know you can ski buck naked in Virginia as long as there is an observer in the boat AND there is also a CG approved vest in the boat for the skier. There has to be a CG approved vest (orange ones will do) for every person in the boat and the stamp MUST be readable. The only ticket I ever got was for barefooting with no observer in the boat and my suit wasn't CG approved. I went to court and the judge let me off with a warning. I really don't think that she gave a rat's @ss about a skiing voilation that day.
Some of these laws to protect us from ourself are getting out of control.

bturner2
04-08-2011, 05:54 PM
As my grandfather used to say.....

Be wary of the man who want to protect you from yourself as he typically wants far more than your saftey.

jeffbare
04-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Group seeks stiffer Coast Guard regulations on life jackets

Posted on April 13, 2011

Link to the below article: http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/511027-group-seeks-stiffer-coast-guard-regulations-on-life-jackets

The National Boating Safety Advisory Council recently approved a resolution for life jacket wear, asking the Coast Guard to pursue requirements for life jacket wear for recreational boaters in certain circumstances, the Marine Retailers Association of America reported.

The resolution asks the Coast Guard to consider requiring life jackets for boaters on personal watercraft; human-powered vessels, such as canoes or kayaks; any vessel less than 18 feet in length; and any person being towed while engaging in water sports.

The resolution further charges the Coast Guard to work with its partners to design a strategy to engage the boating public through in-person and electronic dialogue on this topic.

The federal government has been pushing for mandatory adult life jacket wear for several years, according to the MRAA. The action of the boating safety council followed a test project by the Army Corps of Engineers on three lakes in Mississippi, Ohio, and California and a recent announcement that the National Park Service was going to initiate a test case of mandatory adult life jacket wear on Lake Mead.

MRAA recently issued a position paper opposing mandatory adult life jacket wear that was distributed to all members and is posted on its website.

Contact mraa@mraa.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or larryinnis@aol.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it with any comments on the issue.

MattsCraft
04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Latest News on the subject:

ARLINGTON, Va. Meeting in Arlington on April 1-2, the National Boating Safety Advisory Council, a Congressionally mandated advisory group to the Coast Guard on recreational boating safety, approved a new resolution for life jacket wear, according to a release from the Marine Retailers Association of America. NBSAC passed the resolution with 15 in favor to 5 opposed.

The resolution asks the Coast Guard to initiate efforts that target a future regulatory project to pursue requirements for life jacket wear for recreational boaters while underway and riding in or upon 1.) personal watercraft, regardless of length; 2.) human powered vessels (such as canoes, kayaks, rowboats, etc) regardless of length; 3.) any vessel less than 18-feet in length; and 4.) any person being towed while engaged in water sports.
Advertisement
The resolution further charges the Coast Guard to work with its partners to design a strategy to engage the boating public through in-person and electronic dialogue on this topic through pre-rulemaking consultation aimed at informing the public about the potential benefits of such regulation, gauging public opinion about life jacket wear based on boating type and activity, and making decisions on this topic based on a thorough understanding of both public sentiment and potential benefits.

In addition, the resolution asks the Coast Guard to streamline the life jacket testing and approval process to reduce the overall cost of highly comfortable life jackets, support innovation and creativity in life jacket design and technology, and allow improved life jacket models to reach the consumer more quickly and easily. By doing so, the Coast Guard should give proper consideration to the acceptance of alternative life jackets by completing and accepting a harmonized North American standard.

"The federal government has been pushing for mandatory adult life jacket wear for several years," the MRAA said in its release. "The action of NBSAC followed on a test project of the Corps of Engineers on three lakes in Mississippi, Ohio, and California and a recent announcement that the National Park Service was going to initiate a test case of mandatory adult life jacket wear on Lake Mead. The Coast Guard has verbally expressed its desire to declare all federal waters an adult life jacket zone."

According to a statistician at the meeting, approximately 82 million Americans go boating each year and there are about 400 drowning deaths on average. If the recommendations of the NBSAC resolution were enacted, it was predicted about 70-80 additional lives would be saved.

MRAA asked its members to contact the group with their thoughts on the issue.

MRAA recently issued a position paper opposing mandatory adult life jacket wear, which was distributed to its members and posted on MRAA.com.