PDA

View Full Version : Changing the transmission fluid.

68FastbackGT
07-18-2005, 08:50 PM
I am trying to get my in-lawís 84 Master Craft sea worthy again. It has not been run in a couple of years and was running very bad. I have rebuilt the Holly 4150, replaced the water impeller, plugs, rotor cap and button. The boat runs good now with 2 exceptions; the engine rps varies at idle and the transmission slips a couple of times when you aggressively accelerate out of the hole.
I checked the transmission oil and it did not register on the stick. I do not think that the fluid in the transmission has ever been changed, so now sounds like a good time to do it. I do not have a manual for this boat and after a couple of searches I could not find a procedure for changing this oil.

How do you change the oil in a 1984 with Borg Warner Velvet Drive transmission?
How do you check the transmission oil? I know with the dipstick, but should the engine be running in neutral like on a car?
Where is a good place to find a manual for this boat?

Thank in advance.

G-man
07-18-2005, 09:02 PM
suck the fluid out with a drill attachment into a graduated container so you know how much to put back in, it's easy

kpickett
07-18-2005, 09:39 PM
A manual pump (like the pump from a shampoo bottle) will work very well, as long as the straw will get deep enough into the transmission. To check the fluid level, run the engine until it's warm, and then shut it off and immediately check the level agains the dipstick. The fluid runs back down into the transmission within a minute or two and you can't get a good reading. If you're low on fluid now, the amount you get out won't be enough for refilling, so just add back what you took out, then add a bit at a time, checking between each fillup.

Willski
07-18-2005, 10:12 PM
I have an '84 also and just read your post. I have the book in front of me here, and it confirms what people have said. Check it right after you shut off the boat. It also says you don't have to thread the dipstick in to check. The capacity when mounted at 15 degrees is about 1.5 quarts as far as I can tell. I am actually getting ready to change mine too. I have a drill pump that works pretty well at getting the oil out. There is also the option of pulling the plug at the bottom, but it is difficult to get out when the T/M is installed and it makes a mess of the bilge.

jimmer2880
07-19-2005, 07:34 AM
I have an '84 also and just read your post. I have the book in front of me here, and it confirms what people have said. Check it right after you shut off the boat. It also says you don't have to thread the dipstick in to check. The capacity when mounted at 15 degrees is about 1.5 quarts as far as I can tell. I am actually getting ready to change mine too. I have a drill pump that works pretty well at getting the oil out. There is also the option of pulling the plug at the bottom, but it is difficult to get out when the T/M is installed and it makes a mess of the bilge.

Many trans don't have a plug on the bottom (I'm not saying you don't - just that I KNOW mine & many others don't). So - I wouldn't count on it being there.

Otherwise - very good info. That's how I do it (with the drill pump).

MarkP
07-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Thatís what I use too, (drill pump). I donít know if its anal, but my last change I did twice. Changed it then changed it again after the next time out. Sound anal??

jimmer2880
07-19-2005, 11:35 AM
just a little Mark.Wish I could find synthetic trans fluid. I would use that instead if I could find it. I've heard wonderful thing from car guys.

68FastbackGT
07-19-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys. :) :toast:
I think I now understand the jokes about the straws. I will get a drill pump. I am always looking for a reason to buy a new tool. Most of my projects are a means to a tool acquisition ends.
Are you suppose to use Dextron automatic transmission fluid for these older Master Crafts? I do not have access to an owners manual so I can not check.
Is there a good place to get a shop manual or owners manual for an older Master Craft?