PDA

View Full Version : '04 X9 MCX Stopped Running

mellig
04-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Boat has always started first key turn and yesterday after idling at the dock for a few minutes; the motor died (no sputtering prior) and will not restart. Plenty of battery, motor turns over, but will not fire.

My first concern is water in the fuel system, but would have expected slightly different behavior and had it out several times over the last month with no issue and tank is completely fuel. I did not add fuel stabilize after filling up about 3 weeks ago.

Any similar experiences/recommendations for resolution would be greatly appreciated….

CantRepeat
04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Check for spark, check for fuel (crank it over while giving it some gas, look if the plugs are wet).

Lars
04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I hate to ask... did you check the kill switch? I've definitely troubleshot my engine not starting for a good half hour to realize the kill switch was off.

kskonn
04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I hate to ask... did you check the kill switch? I've definitely troubleshot my engine not starting for a good half hour to realize the kill switch was off.

I spent an hour at a boat ramp once trouble shooting the engine to have a friend who I called to help me ask "ok so the kill switch is in right" at which I replied, crap I think we just found the problem.

sand2snow22
04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
If your gauges don't work when you turn on the key, most likely kill switch. Otherwise might be fuel pump?

wheeler
04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
check all three relay switches at back of motor. one of them is your fuel pump relay switch....all three are identical and cost around $12-$14 each.

meg
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Fuel Pump!!!!!!!

djkslc
04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
kill switch?

Thread Jack - I have a buddy (2004 xstar) that was 12 miles up lake from Bullfrog in Lake Powell. Stoped the boat to let the kids swim, boat wouldn't restart. Worked on it for several hours, couldn't figure it out. Had executive services come and tow him back for $700.00 put it on the trailer cut his trip short. Took it to a local shop, and they called him the next day and said he was all ready to go, he replied that was quick what was wrong. She replied that she wouldn't tell anyone, but the kill switch was knocked off. Expensive kill switch lesson. BTW that is just the tip of the iceberg on funny things he's gotten himself into with this boat (first time boater).

ahhudgins
04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Could be a lot of things, but as Cantrepeat stated you should check for spark and fuel pressure first. If not, you can just start throwing random parts at it. My boat did the same thing and it turned out to be the ignition switch. I had no spark or fuel while cranking. Internal contact on the "Run" terminal was bad.

CantRepeat
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
He said it cranks over but wont start. I don't think that is the behavior of the killswitch.

sand2snow22
04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
He said it cranks over but wont start. I don't think that is the behavior of the killswitch.

That is exactly the behavior of the killswitch plus gauges don't work.

bturner2
04-04-2011, 04:05 PM
If the fuel pump is in the tank on an 04, 9 time out of 10 it's going to be the fuel pump. Check the preasure on the fuel rail then do a search on fuel pump 101. If it is the pump you might as well buy two. A lot cheaper than a $700 tow as stated in a previous post. I just finished putting together my spare pump rebuild kit after having my pump go bad last year at about 250 hours.

mellig
04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the great lessons learned and advice. I did some playing [remove, put back, etc.] with the killswitch as it really was the exact behavior described. It was suggested from another friend to slip a coin behind to push it in further as the plastic clip may have started to bend.

Was up all night and my conclusion was that it could not be water in the gas, I would have seen different running behavior.

bturner2
04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I've heard of the actaul switch going bad also in which case you'll want to jump the switch.

kskonn
04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Yea my understanding is that there are two kill switches that mastercraft puts in boats, one that is horrible and one that is good, which boats they are in I can't tell you. I do know that my dealer always changes out the boats to the Kill switch that does not fail.

CantRepeat
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
That is exactly the behavior of the killswitch plus gauges don't work.

Is it? I thought it would not turn over... guess I should pull mine off and try. :D

kskonn
04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Is it? I thought it would not turn over... guess I should pull mine off and try. :D

Yea that is exactly what happens, it will crank just won't turn over, acts just like a relay.

André
04-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Is it? I thought it would not turn over.. :D

That's when it's not in neutral.Kill switch just kill the spark usually and maybe the gauges on newer boats,that i don't know.(Mine is old).

To the o.p.
On the fuel rail there should be a schraeder valve (similar to a tire valve).Press on it and check if there is fuel pressure.
My money is on the fuel pump...
How much gas did you have in the tank at the time it happened?

mccobmd
04-04-2011, 06:24 PM

That sir is a cogent and well thought out observation.

CantRepeat
04-04-2011, 07:24 PM
That sir is a cogent and well thought out observation.

I grammer well? lol.

Man, learn something new every day.

I've knock my lanyard off while driving and knew it was the kill switch that shut the motor off. I never pulled it off and tried to start. I just "assumed" it would not crank as well.

That's some good learning right there! :D

xbot50000
04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Similar thing happened with my X9. It's probably the fuel pump.

CardenFam
04-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Turn the key and do not try to start, listen for the 3 second buzz which would be the fuel pump running. If you do not hear the "buzz" then that is a pretty good sign that the fuel pump is not working.

rhsprostar
04-04-2011, 09:54 PM
....been there done that..fuel pump..check my old posts for info...
BTW....pretty easy and cheap fix...

mellig
04-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the on-line help... While it was pretty much a toss up of advice between fuel pump and kill switch, in my case was the kill switch and looking to be skiing again in Seattle on Saturday! Still cold but keeps the crazies off of the lake!

bturner2
04-07-2011, 08:44 AM
So what exactly was wrong? Was the lanyard off or was the switch bad. If the switch was bad what did you do to confirm it was bad?

Lars
04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Any points for the original solution poster?? :headbang:

mellig
04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
So what exactly was wrong? Was the lanyard off or was the switch bad. If the switch was bad what did you do to confirm it was bad?

Lanyard was always on and key still looks good, no signs of bending, etc... but assuming the switch is bad/going bad as you have to push it in as far as you can with your finger to complete the circuit and start the engine... options are replace the switch or get creative with the key by wedging some material in to push in the switch, think I will suck it up and replace the switch!

Thrall
04-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I'd just bypass it and leave it dummied into the boat so it looks like you have one. All you have to do is connect the 2 leads going to the switch to bypass it. No more problems.

Yellow X9
04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
If its the Kill switch, and don't have one avail. Get to the back of the switch, if theres only 2-wires feeding it. A temp fix would be to cut the 2 wire loose from the switch side, and twist the 2 going away from the switch together. Atleast by doing this you would rule out the kill switch if it still didn't start- Like I said though-a temporary fix / test