PDA

View Full Version : How to find people to bring to lake

LaRue
04-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Goal: To find people who can drive and observe when i want to head to lake ( 1 hour away) when wife and son are not able to go. Also, to give young and old an opportunity to boat and engage in water sports who normally do not have the opportunity.

Challenge: What is the most effective way to get the word out that i am heading to the lake on such and such a day or at such and such a time and how could people indicate they are interested in going if someone is willing to take them?

I envision a place where people could look and see who might be at the lake or who indicated they were interested in going, how many, what time, contact info...etc.

I have a strong desire to meet new people through boating and consider it a privilege to drive and provide a boat and toys for those who don't get a change to enjoy watersports on a regular basis. Nothing like seeing someone learning to ski, wake-board or even ride a tube for the first time.

Any thoughts?

dpolen
04-04-2011, 12:39 PM
How about using a website like Socializr.com? We use this for the group of 40+ guys I golf with during the summer. Somebody sends out an invite for tee times they have made and folks just sign up if they can attend. If you have everyone's email address, you can just send a blast out when you know you're going to the lake. Just an idea...good luck!

Kathy and Chris
04-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Once I posted a Craigslist ad for my locality in the "For Sale -> Boats" category with the subject "Waterskier/Wakeboarder/Boat Driver wanted". I met three enthusiasts through that ad, who then introduced me to other enthusiasts. Now I have little trouble finding others to ski with, and I've made some great friends.

pmkkdx
04-04-2011, 12:45 PM
interesting! maybe even something like Facebook where over time you can build quite a friends list of interested parties that would always be willing to go. you might even put up a flyer with your FB contact info at some of the local boat shops, marinas, etc. to start building your contacts list. I would think that finding people to go would be fairly easily accomplished!!!

Dylan
04-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I would check on a local forum, as I have found tons of riders that way and met some great friends! I know wakeworld has a "find a 3rd" section, might want to check it out!

Patrick Hardy
04-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Contact and join your local waterski / wakeboard club(s). You will meet plenty of people to boat and network with. You can start by using this link.
www.usawaterski.org/clubs/clubdirectory.asp

M-Funf
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Once I posted a Craigslist ad for my locality in the "For Sale -> Boats" category with the subject "Waterskier/Wakeboarder/Boat Driver wanted". I met three enthusiasts through that ad, who then introduced me to other enthusiasts. Now I have little trouble finding others to ski with, and I've made some great friends.

I did the same thing, but posted in the "activities" section. Two people called me. The first was a flake, but I've been skiing with the second guy and somebody else he knew plus some others we all know year-round for the last 4 years.

I tried to post ads on the skiing sites, but nobody replied. They aren't as "local" as Craigslist.

Good Luck.

chico
04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
My neighbour doesn`t ski,but he loves to swim,we meet at the dock at 6:45 am,when i`m done my sets,it`s his turn to swim,he is also a good driver thanks to perfect pass and a heater.

ahhudgins
04-04-2011, 08:31 PM
My wife isn't a big fan of driving for me (and the feeling is mutual) so I put a post on a local skiing site before my kids were old enough to drive for me. You may have to weed through a few people before you can find someone that doesn't annoy the crap out of you. The first guy showed up with his slalom ski and stripped down to his SPEEDO. I asked "Uh, you aren't going to wear that, are you?" The second weekend he showed up with his 300lb, non-english speaking, non-skiing girl friend. That only lasted two weekends.

CantRepeat
04-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Someone should start up a web site www.hotchicksthatdriveskiboats.com - just saying.

UrbantuxTN
04-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Not sure the wife would approve of me posting ads on that one...

LaRue
04-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Will get some info out and see what happens

rjracin240
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
There is a international web site that I use locally for meeting fellow mountain bikers called www.meetup.com

Good luck and hope this helps

j4rowell
04-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Someone should start up a web site www.hotchicksthatdriveskiboats.com - just saying.

Dang. Link didnt work. Try reposting.

JLeuck64
04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Where you live are there show ski teams? Just another source for a large group of die hard skiers that might work out for ya.

j4rowell
04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Dang. Link didnt work. Try reposting.

I figured it out. You have to do:

.com/andhatetanlines/topless

barefoot
04-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I'd suggest MeetUp.com Again, you'll probably have to weed through a few people before you find the right person/group to ski with, but i bet they'll be loyal and dependable after that

2RLAKE
04-05-2011, 10:03 PM
... but you might find a couple of really hot chicks!

nmcjr
04-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I posted on wake world "find a third" two years ago, rode with a few people and networked and took down a phone number for everyone I met. I met 30+ driver/thirds that way, 10 who I ride with regularly and even go on camping trips and houseboat trips with now. Highly recommended way to meet dependable people. I was worried at first there'd be a bunch of flakes or weirdos, but honestly that was never the case and I met some really great people. We typically use txt messaging now to organize trips, as I suspect many do, so its all about finding those first few contacts and then networking, since not every outing is posted on WW.

PaulW
04-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Will get some info out and see what happens

What part of the Midwest are you located in? Or what lakes or rivers do you boat at?

Rockman
04-06-2011, 02:13 PM

.com/andhatetanlines/topless

CLASSIC!!! :D

LaRue
04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
What part of the Midwest are you located in? Or what lakes or rivers do you boat at?

Okoboji Iowa, Lost Island Lake, Iowa, Yankton South Dakota on the Missouri are where we boat.

92 190 PS
04-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by j4rowell http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/mc2009/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=743423#post743423)

.com/andhatetanlines/topless (http://.com/andhatetanlines/topless)

Not sure how I missed this one. Still laughing while I type this.