PDA

View Full Version : What's the shallowest water you ever boated/skied on?

Cmpdman
04-03-2011, 10:40 PM
What's the shallowest water you ever boated/skied on?
Mine's about 5 feet. With a friend in his boat. We could see the prop churning sand. once we noticed it, we turned off the boat and pushed the boat out to deeper water. About 200 yards.

Double D
04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
We have idled through 30" of water, according to the depth finder, to pick up someone, but have never skied or gone fast through it. Hate doing it since we cant see the bottom....

fstaslp
04-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Under 5' in the Great Miami River in Hamilton OH for Miami University Ski team

east tx skier
04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
3.5 fee with a muddy bottom. We left a trail.

73blue
04-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Not sure exactly, but in late fall we were kneeboarding (yeah, its been a while) off our point. I swung out to the right of the boat and hit what I thought was a submerged tree. Turned out the fins caught the weeds on the bottom. After I fell, I stood up in about knee deep water. I then walked to the boat, where it was just over waist deep.

h2oskiluvr
04-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Water was low and we were desperate to ski in the course so the skier was in about 2 feet of water at the buoys. At one end of the run if we slowed to idle the boat would be stuck in the sand. So dangerous I can't imagine doing that now. Five feet is a safe number. especially if you are slalom skiing. Those falls can be very unpredictable.

erkoehler
04-03-2011, 11:54 PM
We commonly boat in 2.5-5ft of water.....rarely see double digits on the depth finder.......

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2011, 12:20 AM
We commonly boat in 2.5-5ft of water.....rarely see double digits on the depth finder.......

Yikes - don't know if I could get used to that. Plenty of deep water around here. Nice and clear too.

Cmpdman
04-04-2011, 12:33 AM

That is shallow. We boat in 40-250 feet. I did notice than on the x45, the depth gauge goes to 99 then displays --. I figure we're deep enough at that point.

ShamrockIV
04-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Shallow on Center Hill is anything under 100.
i was freaked out at csm where the water was from 12 feet to 3 feet deep.

Barefooter92
04-04-2011, 08:40 AM
On Lake James we footed over the sand bar every morning. I have fallen and stood up with the water level at my knees. Needless to say this was when we were young, dumb, and...

dmminfla
04-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Florida Keys, We ran around Marathon through the seven mile bridge and back north. The water was about 2 feet. All is fine until you come off the plane. We were not on the MC.

jkski
04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Every morning, May-September we ski in 3.5'-4' of water with a couple of the turn bouys being in 2.5'-3'. It took a lot of getting used to especially when you are running your expensive ski boat back in forth in a path that is that shallow, but at least it is known and consistent, can't say I would want to do it in an unknown area. The turn bouys are the worst as you have no room for error at times between the depth and the fast approaching shoreline.

SPSinclair 190
04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Mid 70s Cedar Falls Iowa the entire jump course was in 3ft of water including landing area on the Cedar river!!!!!! And belive it or not it was at a tournament !

nascar
04-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I was glad it was not my boat but we ran a course in low water of about 2.5 to 3 feet in my younger days . At one end we had to turn around without stopping leaving a mud trail . We had to tie slip knots in the bouy lines to take up the slack so the bouys would line up straight . We were using my buddy's older Ski Supreme ......I was smart and left my 78 SS Mastercraft at home . We heard a couple things hit the boat but were was no damage .

Bouyhead
04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
This is as high as it gets on a regular basis. 1' higher with a full moon, no water at low tide all mud. When the tide is on it's way out we push the envelope and ski in 3 1/2 ft. of water.

sizzler
04-04-2011, 10:01 AM
used to barefoot in tidal mudflats...we would start in a 6ft deep channel and go thru the creeks which were only about 2ft deep.....the boat was a barefoot200 with outboard...this would be trimmed out so that the boat was hardly in the water.....if you fell,then you had to walk out of the creek as the boat could not stop in it.......

as before.......we were young and dumb...but it made for great videos

3event
04-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I suppose I have to go out and check depth at the shallow end of our lake, but less than 4' for sure. We throw a muddy trail depending how we cut it, and if we are boarding the water pressure under the hull pushes up the stern &drops the bow a shade when we get into that depth. If the skier/boarder drops we idle out to deeper water to launch, but have been running this way for a lot of years and no problem (sandy,muddy bottom). No debris, rocks, or anything substantial on the bottom whatsoever.

DooSPX
04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I would say where we ski is about 5 feet. Leaving the boat ramp, its only 2 feet... I get a pucker factor watching the dept finder like a hawk even though I have done it a thousand times. Lucky our lake is all sand.

Willski
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Too shallow. Not on purpose though. My brother was driving, I was footing. He wasn't paying attention on the river. He got into a mudflat about 18" of water maybe. When I saw the mud trail from the boat I let go. Stood up in water to my knees. I wasn't to pleased with him!

2RLAKE
04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
something I'll never forget was footing on some small Michigan lake in 1991 ... had lily pads and other plants zipping by me ... i let go was was in water just over my knees ... good thing i didnt do a face plant!

Barefooter92
04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
I am seeing a pattern here...Footers have Ba!!$ and no brains!

2RLAKE
04-04-2011, 01:55 PM
On Lake James we footed over the sand bar every morning. I have fallen and stood up with the water level at my knees. Needless to say this was when we were young, dumb, and...

Lake James is the very first lake on which i skied ... 1981

barefoot
04-04-2011, 02:04 PM
The water's pretty shallow where I live. My lift sits in 3ft of water. I put-put through a channel that is under 3ft to get out to the main lake. There's a couple of shallow channels that we go through to get through to get to other lakes that are under 4ft. So I guess it's safe to say we are under 5ft a good portion of the time.

ahhudgins
04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Maybe I have the record? Years ago I was filming in the observer's seat of my 79 S&S and heard a lound crunching sound and things went blurry for a second. The boat had come to a complete stop from 25 MPH and the guy behind the boat was was standing in shin deep water. All of us had known where the sand bar was and the driver still went right over it. Skier didn't signal or let go either. I guess they didn't care because it was my boat. Pontoon pulled us off and there was no damage. It was all soft mud, luckily.

cbryan70
04-04-2011, 03:29 PM

gotta love the chain. Same here on the river. 5ft avg i would say with the DEEP parts at 8 to 10 ft. in july i would say 3 to 4 ft avg.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
On average the river is 3-4 ft and the lake thats the river dumps into is 7ft but the river can get down to 18-24 inches in some places like the boat ramp area.

Barefooter92
04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Lake James is the very first lake on which i skied ... 1981

2Rlake:
I was there! Love that place. We are gone now but always in my heart. 1981? Might have been my first ski too!

tex
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Under a foot in Germany. When the boat would make the turn on one end during the jump act, you had to be outside the wake to set up for the next jump and yes it was nerve racking!

CantRepeat
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
The shallowest water I ever boated in coast me about $1400 bucks of underwater gear.

muskingumriverdocks
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Skier's Paradise Hockingport, Oh. About 18" on shore side of the course, you could see the anchors on the turn bouys. As if that wasn't bad enough, when you turned around on far end went through grass that grew out of the water.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Skier's Paradise Hockingport, Oh. About 18" on shore side of the course, you could see the anchors on the turn bouys. As if that wasn't bad enough, when you turned around on far end went through grass that grew out of the water.

Clearly you weren't at Boat Driver's Paradise.:D

ski_king
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Behind a boat, about 5 feet.

Behind a motorcycle, somewhere between 1 foot to wet grass.

Table Rocker
04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Behind a motorcycle, somewhere between 1 foot to wet grass.Here is a YouTube clip of some ditch kneeboarding. CAUTION: Language not suitable for all audiences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXEEnQXQeFs

cf_koch
04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Skiied on a course that was layed out in an old mill pond. I'm not sure how deep it was but when the boat went around the turn around island, you had to stay right behind the boat and even there your ski would drag along the bottom.

h2oskifreak
04-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Flooded cow pasture w/ a course in it. 2 1/2 to 6 feet maybe. I loved every pass. Walk in after a fall in a tourney. Close to Ogden UT. mid to late 80's.

muskingumriverdocks
04-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Clearly you weren't at Boat Driver's Paradise.:D

Thankfuly I never drove, Chip the owner did. It was scary enough behind the boat. They had a lot of tournaments there through the 80's.

wakescene
04-07-2011, 03:33 PM
2 summers ago in south Jersey we had a King high tide (Full moon HT, with an extra 1ft due to earths rotation or something...anywho.

I was wakeboarding and my buddy driving, Full loaded 2001 Maristar(1800lbs), 4ppl on boat and gear. At the end of the channel you make a hard right, the proceed. There is a marker stake at the end of the channel that my buddy missed and drove over land a good 60ft. Not quite sure how we made it, but it was no more than 18inches deep and any point. I actually sunk my board and got a little drag on the grass. Ther were some weird Hydrodynamics going on that day!

After the tide dropped, we noticed a "V" chopped out of the weeds that are on this section of land...exactly where the prop was! This is now officially named "Doug's corner" after my buddy driving. Here's the photo.

sethro
04-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I've been in a private lake that was a uniform 3ft with a muddy bottom. I remember making the joke that it wasn't really a "deep water" start when I was getting in for my first pass.

I was concerened, as I have gone out the front on the Rock River where I ski and struck the top of my back/base of my neck area on the bottom of the river...gravel bottom too! That was in about 4.5ft of water. I distinctly remember tucking my head like I was preparing for a barefooting fall, but that probably wasn't the best plan of attack.

tex
04-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I've been in a private lake that was a uniform 3ft with a muddy bottom. I remember making the joke that it wasn't really a "deep water" start when I was getting in for my first pass.

I was concerened, as I have gone out the front on the Rock River where I ski and struck the top of my back/base of my neck area on the bottom of the river...gravel bottom too! That was in about 4.5ft of water. I distinctly remember tucking my head like I was preparing for a barefooting fall, but that probably wasn't the best plan of attack.

I've taken a jump set on the Rock River!

sethro
04-07-2011, 08:51 PM
I've taken a jump set on the Rock River!

What part of the river? Our club used to keep the jump, and slalom course for that matter, on the river before we were blessed with a private lake.