PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake Issues

nickespi
04-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm leaking fluid! It's coming from the trailer tongue area. It towed fine to the water today, but on the was back home the ride got real rough. Once we were back home I saw that the fluid was leaking on the ground. Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/nickespi/image4.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/nickespi/image5.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/nickespi/image3.jpg

nickespi
04-03-2011, 10:30 PM
And I managed to do this to my prop. What a great day!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/nickespi/image2.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/nickespi/image.jpg

Cmpdman
04-03-2011, 10:32 PM
How did u do that to your prop?

nickespi
04-03-2011, 10:38 PM
The ramp we dropped in at is convenient, but terrible. Especially for a 23 foot boat. Needless to say that when I was trying to squeeze my way out of the ramp area, the prop caught the ramp. So pissed. The 1-2 foot waves didn't help either. The load was awful too. Never using that ramp again.

trickskier
04-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Just tighten the fitting and you shoud be fine - Also check your brake fluid level.

As for the prop - Get a new one or get that one reconditioned.

Cmpdman
04-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Wow. Not fun! I've only ever dinged one prop. 24' fourwinns @ lake powell. Helping to get a drunk houseboat captain & his houseboat off a rock. We all had fun, until they pulled my boat back into a rock. that was a $600 mistake. Good luck with the prop!

TX.X-30 fan
04-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Easily under 200 for that prop ding, grt it fixed and all good.

cmarty123
04-04-2011, 08:19 AM
I don't know how old your trailer is. I just bought our '95 MC and the brake line going through the trailer frame was rusted out. It was a lousy design. There's a plastic protective sleeve that tries to protect the line, but it ends up just holding water and rusting the brake line. Try tightening your connections first, but the brake line may need replaced...

bturner2
04-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Can't tell what year your boat is but seeing that rust would make me think it could be a few years old. From what I can see it appears to have a leak at the reverse solenoid return line, If that's the case the line will need to be replaced. A bad seal in the master cylinder will spray brake fluid everywhere and pretty much make the same mess.

Best place to start would be to put pressure on the cylinder and see if you can see where the leak is. Without seeing the actual leak we're all going to be guessing. Break fluid is some pretty nasty stuff so be sure to where eye protection when looking for the leak and clean it up quickly off any painted surfaces.

CantRepeat
04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Easily under 200 for that prop ding, grt it fixed and all good.

I was thinking rubbing compound and a buffer should fix it up.

On the hose it looks like it's either leaking from the fitting or at the hose compression.

nickespi
04-05-2011, 09:35 PM
What's the best way to put pressure on the system so I can check for the leak? I'm new to surge brakes. Thanks

nickespi
04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
I was thinking rubbing compound and a buffer should fix it up.

On the hose it looks like it's either leaking from the fitting or at the hose compression.

A good buffing can fix almost anything. Might try it on the brake fitting also.

nmcjr
04-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Sort of hard to describe, but under the tongue, just behind the ball recepticle you will see an area where you can instert a large flat screwdriver. From there you pull the handle of the screw driver forward, which will apply pressure to the master cylinder. You are basically prying against the rod of the master cylinder and it should feel sort of "springy". If you look up under there you will be able to see the location. Clean it well first so you can spot where the leak is. Also, I would top off the master cylinder first, to make sure it is not low on fluid.

bturner2
04-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Another way is to block the tires and CAREFULLY back the truck up with the trailer attached making sure not to back over the blocks. This will pressurize the brake system with enough force to see the leak. The flat screwdriver is by far the safest way.

CantRepeat
04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
A good buffing can fix almost anything. Might try it on the brake fitting also.

I like your style mister! :D

nickespi
04-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Sort of hard to describe, but under the tongue, just behind the ball recepticle you will see an area where you can instert a large flat screwdriver. From there you pull the handle of the screw driver forward, which will apply pressure to the master cylinder. You are basically prying against the rod of the master cylinder and it should feel sort of "springy". If you look up under there you will be able to see the location. Clean it well first so you can spot where the leak is. Also, I would top off the master cylinder first, to make sure it is not low on fluid.

Sounds good. I know exactly where you're talking about. Thanks for the help.