PDA

View Full Version : Marine altenator question

1redTA
04-03-2011, 11:27 AM
The alt on my 81 Skier is in need of replacement. I took it apart to clean it up and realized the screens were easily removable as well as the rear cover.

So my question is, can I just get another automotive alt and put the screens from the marine onto it and still be safe?

gotta_ski
04-03-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm no expert, but my understanding has been that the only thing that makes it "marine" is the screens and it has to be painted black, which was a coast guard requirement IIRC. Hopefully someone like enginenut will be along shortly to give you a more solid answer. Good luck!

ski daddy
05-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I had a voltage regulator go out on mine and didn't have any luck finding one I called MC dealer and they said I had to buy the whole alternator which was close to 600.00 so I went to the local alternator shop to see about getting a new regulator but he couldn't find one but had a rebuilt marine that worked fine for 40.00

1redTA
05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I ordered a marine 105amp from Amazon $70 shipped to the door. It has one wire hook up, 2" mounting arm ,same as stock, V pulley and a one year warranty

ryanmojo
06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I ordered a marine 105amp from Amazon $70 shipped to the door. It has one wire hook up, 2" mounting arm ,same as stock, V pulley and a one year warranty

I have an '88 Tristar 351W and I think I'm looking at the same alternator on Amazon.. Was the alternator you bought on Amazon internally regulated or do you have an external regulator on your '81?

Thanks!