PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for a new battery

Glenn
04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I am looking for a new battery for my 2002 Prostar 209. Anyone have good experiences with a particular brand. Please let me know what size as well. Don't have access to my boat presently so I don't know what is in it. Would like to pick up battery before picking boat up.

Thanks, Glenn

east tx skier
04-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Delco starting battery with as many cca as you can get that will still fit the box. Not sure on the size.

jeffbare
04-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Delco starting battery with as many cca as you can get that will still fit the box. Not sure on the size.

I agree, as many CCA as possible. I have also had good luck with Costco batteries.

bturner2
04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
If you want cheap and lots of it Interstate, Delco, Die Hard or whatever wet cell battery is cheap or on sale will do. For the price you pay they're hard to beat. Doesn't sound like you're running a sound system so the high end batteries are probably best left out of the conversation.

Group 24 batteries are typically starting batteries while group 27/29 are typically deep cycle. Here's a link to a battery size chart.....

http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

Your boat most likely came with a group 24 starting battery.

mikey.145
04-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Ive had great luck with Interstate marine battery's I think lots of folks on here would agree.

Boater_C
04-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Costco batteries work great and last a long time (they have deep cycle ones too), Costcos are everywhere, and they have excellent customer service!

Glenn
04-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I just need to figure out the largest battery group size that will fit. Diehard has a platnum series that are group 31 and 34. They are a little larger than the group 24 that may have come with the boat. Not sure if the Battery compartment is large enough. I have to drive 2 hours to measure in my boat. Any one happen to have the dimensions for a 2002 Prostar 209?

Glenn

ted shred
04-03-2011, 03:24 PM
I have had great luck with the walmart marine battery. It has lasted the longest of any I have used before and was not to expensive.

east tx skier
04-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Often, "Marine" batteries are deep cycle batteries. You don't want a deep cycle battery as your starting battery. If you get a marine battery as your only battery, make sure it is a starting battery.

smoketu
04-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I have an '04 X-9 with the single battery which should be the same as your 209. I don't have my boat here but, I have the battery which is an interstate group 24. It has cca of 800 and marine ca's of 1000. It has the same dimensions as stated in the chart posted above for groups 24 which look like the same as the 34. If I remember that box was pretty tight fitting.

east tx skier
04-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I have an '04 X-9 with the single battery which should be the same as your 209. I don't have my boat here but, I have the battery which is an interstate group 24. It has cca of 800 and marine ca's of 1000. It has the same dimensions as stated in the chart posted above for groups 24 which look like the same as the 34. If I remember that box was pretty tight fitting.

Are the battery boxes open on top in the MCs or do they have a lid on them? The Group 24 batteries are taller than the Group 34s is the only reason I mention it. If 24 will fit, groups 48 and 65 should fit also.

airdrew99
04-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Interstate batteries are ones I recommend. They are awesome!!! I have a F-250 Powerstroke Diesel with 2 Interstate batteries. They are the MTP-65. They have an 85 month warranty (over 7 years). They are 1000ca and 850cca. My truck is a 7.3L and is around 18:1 compression. I can start my truck with just one Interstate battery by itself. I highly recommend these.

Drew

smoketu
04-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Are the battery boxes open on top in the MCs or do they have a lid on them? The Group 24 batteries are taller than the Group 34s is the only reason I mention it. If 24 will fit, groups 48 and 65 should fit also.

Mine has the lid with a nylon strap. You probably could leave it off.

erkoehler
04-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Interstate 24mxhd model. We've had good results running these for many years.

grimsweeper
04-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Invested in agm battery from sears-mfg by Odyssey Batteries,going on 2 yrs. Per manufacturer,combines starting and deep cycle capabilities. Also recommend battery tender,I think storage is what kills most batteries.
http://www.mysears.com/DieHard-Marine-Battery-Platinum-PM-1-Group-Size-31M-with-exchange-reviews
http://www.odysseybattery.com/marine.html

fskof
04-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I have a 2003 Prostar 209 with the original battery still in it. Here is the info that my battery has:

Ameristart 24m-x
Marine Starting
Marine Crank @ 80 F 1050
Cold Crank amps @ 0 F 750
Reserve capacity 125

I never had any sarting problems with this battery and I cant believe its still working after 8 yrs

trickskier
04-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Sears DieHard Marine Battery!

Cmpdman
04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
I've used Interstate for years.

bobx1
04-04-2011, 11:27 AM
I've used Interstate for years.

Me 2. I have been in several battery arguments over the years and have come to the conclusion (with personal experience and experience from many friends) that you should go cheap and go often when it comes to batteries.

TXX9
04-04-2011, 01:00 PM
No comments on gel batteries? I run Optima red tops in my duramax and have had great results. I was considering getting a blue top (marine) for my 06 X9. Anyone have good or bad experiences with the Optima blue top in your MC?

ithaca91
04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
We just upgrated to an 850 cca (from 500 or 550). Interstate was what was recommended.

TXX9
04-04-2011, 01:12 PM
My mistake. Optima is not a "gel" battery, but a spiralcell AGM battery according to their website. But, any thoughts or comments on using Optima in your MC?

supturb89
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Interstate 24mxhd model. We've had good results running these for many years.

Just got a steal on one from my local dealer. Will probably end up picking up another for a dual battery setup.

east tx skier
04-04-2011, 06:42 PM
No comments on gel batteries? I run Optima red tops in my duramax and have had great results. I was considering getting a blue top (marine) for my 06 X9. Anyone have good or bad experiences with the Optima blue top in your MC?

Do not get an optima blue top as your only battery. They are not starting batteries.

bturner2
04-04-2011, 07:23 PM
My mistake. Optima is not a "gel" battery, but a spiralcell AGM battery according to their website. But, any thoughts or comments on using Optima in your MC?

Ahh geez someone had to bring it up. Might as well get the RTP and MCX thread going as well.

You'll find some strong opinions on here about Optima. A lot of haters and a lot of believers. I've been running a pair of Blue Tops going on my third season so I can't say anything yet about longevity. As far as performance I have had absolutely no issues and they seem to run the stereo all day long without any problem. Then again I'm also the owner of an RTP engine in a X2 that I feel runs and powers my boat very well while other on here would say that the only motor to have is the MCX.

The thing I like about the Blue Top (or any AGM battery for that matter) is that that there is no acid to boil out of the battery and therefore less mess to deal with. They're also a bit smaller and offer more options for mounting. With that comes cost and for a lot of people cost is more important than the features I personally like about the battery. If cost is a factor in the decision making process stay away from all AGM batteries. Two other AGM batteries to look at would be Decca and Odyssey. Expect to pay at least double (and most likely triple) what you would for a Wallmart or Interstate battery. Here's a shot of my set up. I wouldn't recommend using battery trays in a location where clothes, food or people will be accessing frequently with a wet cell battery. As I stated above they're not for everyone and others seem to have had problems with them. So far so good for me.

Romanod
04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Two DieHards never let you down! I place the second one in a battery box that had a strap I screwed to the floor. I also had a battery switch where I could use either battery or both. One battery just did't cut it for starting and stereo. I also attached a permanent trickle battery charger (Sears) and set it to the 1 amp setting when needed. The longer the starter is away from the battery the more current is needed to operate.

Prostar 190 98

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Love AGM's hate optimas had 2 in 3 years.

Want bulletproof...........Kinetik

TXX9
04-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Do not get an optima blue top as your only battery. They are not starting batteries.

Sorry ETex, but their website states differently.

"The BlueTop starting battery (dark gray case) is to be used when a dedicated starting battery is required and it should never be used for cycling duty. The dual purpose BlueTop (light gray case) can be used for both starting and deep cycling; it is a true deep cycle battery with extremely high cranking power.

■Trolling motors, marine applications with heavy electrical accessories and RVs should use a dual purpose BlueTop (which is both a starting and deep cycle battery)
■Use a BlueTop starting battery for marine applications and RVs when the battery’s only function is engine starting
Note: The difference between BlueTop and YellowTop deep cycle batteries is that BlueTop batteries have both automotive (SAE) posts and threaded posts, while YellowTops (other than D31T) only have SAE posts.

If you ever get confused on the color tops just remember: if it has a dark gray case then it is a starting battery; if it has a light gray case then it is a deep cycle (dual purpose) battery."

milehigh970
04-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Older optima batteries were bulletproof.. Ran them in all our race cars! Optima was bought out and now are Junk! Imo

east tx skier
04-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Sorry ETex, but their website states differently.

"The BlueTop starting battery (dark gray case) is to be used when a dedicated starting battery is required and it should never be used for cycling duty. The dual purpose BlueTop (light gray case) can be used for both starting and deep cycling; it is a true deep cycle battery with extremely high cranking power.

■Trolling motors, marine applications with heavy electrical accessories and RVs should use a dual purpose BlueTop (which is both a starting and deep cycle battery)
■Use a BlueTop starting battery for marine applications and RVs when the battery’s only function is engine starting
Note: The difference between BlueTop and YellowTop deep cycle batteries is that BlueTop batteries have both automotive (SAE) posts and threaded posts, while YellowTops (other than D31T) only have SAE posts.

If you ever get confused on the color tops just remember: if it has a dark gray case then it is a starting battery; if it has a light gray case then it is a deep cycle (dual purpose) battery."

Interesting. Good to know. People tend to speak of these batteries in pretty generic terms, i.e., "blue top." I've never heard anyone get more specific about dual purpose versus blue top starting battery. For what it's worth, I had the "blue top" with the charcoal gray case. Lasted all of 9 months and would not hold or take a charge. Went back to Delco. Half the price for a reliable battery.

TXX9
04-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I did'nt know there was a difference either until I went to their website to check it out. I pulled the battery out of my 06 X9 before storing last winter and just put it on charger to get ready for this year. Interestingly enough it had an Interstate Marine/RV deep cycle SRM 24 (550 CCA/690 MCA) in it. This is the battery that was in it when I bought it last summer. The boat only had 72 hrs on it and I don't know if this is the original battery that came in it, or the original owner replaced it sometime. I never had any trouble with it all last summer and never looked at it until now.

Wouldn't you want a deep cycle to handle all of the Stereo in our MC's? I have often worried about anchoring up and swimming with the engine off and the stereo playing for any length of time.

I kind of like the idea of the dual purpose BlueTop (light gray case) being a a true deep cycle battery with extremely high cranking power.

Thrall
04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Love AGM's hate optimas had 2 in 3 years.

Want bulletproof...........Kinetik

Just to add to the pile here. Used to be an Optima hater. 2 redtops in 4 yrs in my old boat (good warranty coverage though, free replacemement twice). I thought they were crap, then I learned about battery maintenance in the off season. Got my 3rd Optima (2nd free replacement), used it for 1 season in the old boat. Threw it in the old '74 Jeep that fall. This thing gets no battery maintenance, lives outside during the winter, gets started and run around maybe once every other month during the winter. In the summer it only gets run long enough to pull the boat in/out of the garage, surely doesn't run long enough to do any real charging ALL year.
That battery is 3-1/2 yrs old now and still kickin.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....................

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-KINETIK-KHC1800-POWER-CELL-CAR-AUDIO-BATTERIES-HC1800-/350447009870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519845004e

I got 5 years out of these, lots of floating with a 2500 watt system. I did nothing special except a trickle charger.

JPK
04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-KINETIK-KHC1800-POWER-CELL-CAR-AUDIO-BATTERIES-HC1800-/350447009870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519845004e

I got 5 years out of these, lots of floating with a 2500 watt system. I did nothing special except a trickle charger.

Kind of expensive for a battery.

craig3972
04-07-2011, 12:44 PM

these guys sell em for a lot less http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_8302_Kinetik-HC1800-1900-amps-High-Current-Car-Audio-Power-Cell.html

these batteries pack almost 1/3 more power for there size due to the flat cell type configuartion as opposed to spiral. they are AGM's (wont spill )and can take a beating and bounce back.

rjracin240
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Interstate batteries are ones I recommend. They are awesome!!! I have a F-250 Powerstroke Diesel with 2 Interstate batteries. They are the MTP-65. They have an 85 month warranty (over 7 years). They are 1000ca and 850cca. My truck is a 7.3L and is around 18:1 compression. I can start my truck with just one Interstate battery by itself. I highly recommend these.

Drew

Just my .02 cents worth.....always found batteries to last about the same amount of time regardless of whether I purchased Interstate or blems from my local battery distributor.
The only difference I found was the expensive name brands lock you in with their warranties, everyone hates passing up a buck so after the battery dies in the same amount of time as the blem, they offer you a chunk of money to use toward the purchase of a new battery which cost you about the equivalent of the blem again or a little more.

airdrew99
04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Just my .02 cents worth.....always found batteries to last about the same amount of time regardless of whether I purchased Interstate or blems from my local battery distributor.
The only difference I found was the expensive name brands lock you in with their warranties, everyone hates passing up a buck so after the battery dies in the same amount of time as the blem, they offer you a chunk of money to use toward the purchase of a new battery which cost you about the equivalent of the blem again or a little more.

We have had Interstate batteries last 8 years. I've never seen a Wal-Mart battery last 4 years. We've tried Wal-Mart batteries in classic Mustangs, daily drivers, and boats. They just don't last. We've never had a problem with an Interstate though. In fact, we've never had to take them up on the warranty. If you can get a cheaper battery that will last a long time, definitely go for it. For me, I like Interstate.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2011, 08:34 PM

That was for 2 batteries. Diehards Marine AGM is 180 or so.

Adam Wanichek
04-08-2011, 12:42 AM
+1 for Costco batteries. Havr heard they are produced by Johnson Controls which manufactures Interstate as well. 36 month trade-in no questions asked and then prorated to 100 months. Paid $65 plus $9 core last week, killer deal.