PDA

View Full Version : 2002 X9 battery compartment. Can u drill hole

Waynerzman
04-03-2011, 03:16 AM
I would like to drill a hole in my battery compartment as it always seems to have water it in. Where will the water go? All compartments seem to be sealed. The cooler flows into engine compartment and the ski locker I believe does too. I just want to make sure the water is able to be pumped out if I drill a hole. Thanks

bturner2
04-03-2011, 06:56 AM
You would be better off finding how the water is getting in the battery box. The box is sealed so any battery acid doesn't get into the rest of the boat. Even if you were able to get it to drain into the bilge you would now have the possibility of battery acid in the bilge or fumes from a cooked battery making their way there. Either situation would not be good.

Waynerzman
04-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I forgot about the battery acid issue. I think water gets in there if I've hit a big wave and its come over top of the bow. It's a pain to empty. Also my glove box fills with water when it rains. I was thinking of drilling a hole in there as well and adding tubing. Again I have no idea what's under the floor boards and where water goes in there. These boats all seam to have sealed enclosures. I'm thinking that the empty space between the floor boards and hull may never be able to be drained if I drilled a hole. The engine compartment seems to be sealed as well.

bturner2
04-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah you really have to be careful as the stringers are actually made up of fiberglass and bonded into the hull so it's not like the old days when everything under the floor wen to the bilge. Unless I could see exactly where the water would route I wouldn't be willing to go making holes.

kkkeating
04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
You should not have water in the battery compartment. The cup holder could be the culprit as it has holes in the bottom. Find out the souce of the water. A drain in the glove box with tubing to run to a opening would be nice, as ours does get water when water runs over the bow, up and over the windshield and onto the dash. That's the problem when surfing with the right amount of ballast and the bow's only a foot above the waterline!