PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter?

jimmer2880
07-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Ok - here's the poop.

Before I owned my '95 PS190 TBI 350, the jack@*** stripped the nut going into the in-line fuel filter (on the hard line between the filter & the TBI). A couple years back, I was in a bind to get running again so, I ended up splicing the line. It worked for a while, but now it has started leaking.

I'm working with Chuck at BAWS (aswome to work with). He called MC & Indmar. MC nor Indmar make the fuel lines anymore. MC suggested that they would make a line from the pump directly into the TBI, taking the filter out of the loop. They suggested using a carberator style filter on the rubber-line somewhere.

My question is - which filter should I use? Can I get away with one like this:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3299

or - should I go to a screw-on style like this:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SIE18-7852-1

Thoughts?

Also - if I need to go with the 2nd one, where to put it? I'd like to put it somewhere that I don't need to remove the floor to get to. But - my pump is at the rear most portion of the motor. There is easy access behind the back panel of the boat with the pad that's velcro'd on - which provides easy access to the tank shut-off valve. I believe there's enough room for the 1st one, but not the 2nd.

thoughts? Pls help. I don't want to be down for 2 weekends in a row (fuel pump failed last Friday, hence the urgency now).

87MC Dave
07-18-2005, 06:46 PM
from what I can tell the second on according to the skidim catalog is a fuel/water seperator. Do you know if you already have a water seperator in your fuel line somewhere. I would think that you would want the inline filter.

jimmer2880
07-19-2005, 07:08 AM
from what I can tell the second on according to the skidim catalog is a fuel/water seperator. Do you know if you already have a water seperator in your fuel line somewhere. I would think that you would want the inline filter.

DOH! - right. Sorry - it's been a while since I had to deal with filters like that. THANKS!