PDA

View Full Version : Surf help

davidstan
04-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I saw the thread on good surfboards for beginner girls but wondered what you veteran surfers recommend for me and my family. I am 180 and poor balance :( and a beginner so what would be the board if money is the object and then if it is not the object? Rest of my fam are girls 120 to 135 lbs and great at all h2o sports. Cwb seems to have a lot of marketing as I see the Ride a lot on line. I think I want a surfboard type that all can use and progress on. Any help is appreciated. We would be behind the x2 stock ballast.

scott023
04-02-2011, 01:41 PM
If money isn't an object, the Walker project boards are MINT.

http://www.thewalkerproject.com/

jdhart73
04-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Inland Surfer Red Woody.....

Ole Miss Rebels
04-02-2011, 02:17 PM
inland surfer blue lake. best all-around board for everyone. red woody is great too but generally for a heavy person.

tr6coug
04-02-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm 180lb and learned on a hyperlite broadcast and CWB Tsunami. Now, we use the CWB Tsunami for teaching people how to wakesurf behind our X2. It is very stable and forgiving. Last year we changed to a Ronix Koal 4'-6" which is more maneuverable and challenging. For a beginner, I'd suggest the Broadcast or Tsunami.

Justjoe
04-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm with the coug on this one. Scott, I know you love your Walkers... I like mine too, but they are going to be too much for a balanced challenged beginner.

Run with the Tsunami, use it for a season with the family. Maybe for Christmas roll out the dough for a...(searching for the right words here)...more dialed in, demanding, less stable, faster, edgy, attractive (you see???).

Learn to surf before you commit to a direction/size/whatever. If the girls get good, they may want a little surf style board....or maybe they decide that skim style is it....don't rush it.

Worst case, at the end of the season you had a board that would work for everyone, and one that you can teach somebody how to ride with, and that is bombproof in construction.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Inland surfer boards (remember, I have one), and the Walker boards (yup), and even the Liquid Force boards. I'm just sayin, it's a nice middle of the road ride with no surprises.

Oh, and once you get your head around what you're doing, borrow the bageezus out of other peoples rides. Drag em around the lake a couple times if you can test out theirs. Figure out what you like.

Justjoe
04-02-2011, 04:25 PM
In 1985 I bought my first sailboard. It was a Mistral Superlight. If I remember right, it was like 12 feet long, and I was flying a semi battened 6.3 sail.

Had a riot. The thing was a dock. You could sail a family on it. Over a couple years I added a quiver of sails from a little 5.0, up to a breeze worthy 9.0. I taught myself water starts with it, I learned to body drag off the boom, I could jibe and tack like a madman (and it was FUN).

After a couple seasons I started on short boards (which in the Midwest isn't really that short, but...) and it sucked. Glass, fragile, low volume, sharp rails, aggressive sails. These things didnt allow you to make mistakes or be sloppy. Sure, I learned how to ride better, but at a huge cost. Now I could only go out if the wind was raging(read spring, fall, and in storms). Where I used to be able to let friends try it out, now I was afraid they'd ding em up. And if they did get a chance to try, it would typically be a frustrating few minutes before they would just give up.

I think surfing could be the same. Go easy to start, and then when you get the urge for upping your game....make it YOUR game. I guess that then you might still have that other board to let people play on. And when they kick the board out from underneath them and it macks into your transom, you can smile and know that your boat might be getting ganked, but not your board.

davidstan
04-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Thx for the input all. I think I will end up with the blue lake if it is easy to get up on. Next door neighbor has the red woody and likes it but he weighs 250 or so.

venetrex
04-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Also more ballast in the X2 makes for an easier surf. Weigh the port down real good

MattsCraft
04-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Like This?

venetrex
04-02-2011, 08:19 PM
That wakes clean do you have a wake plate??

MattsCraft
04-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I have a center trim tab, don't use it for surfing no surf tabs. Stock, port and Kgb Full, 400# X2 fly high (port) full and a 350# fly high down the center full. All peeps on the port side, wake is good size, not as good as the 25 but close and the pocket is well back and long.

davidstan
04-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Looks like ya have it dialed in on the x2. I will prolly get the 400 lb pro x also

MattsCraft
04-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Pretty darn nice, really don't see how tabs would improve it. We will also if we are short on peeps, use a 350# sack on the port seats. Here are a couple more shots. Good surf riders can surf up and down this wake all day long!

FYI, the board is a Liquid Force, skim style, single fin. Donít' know the model number etc. A little squirrely for new riders, but once they get a few tries on it, can get up. Nice for them because it is short enough to maneuver in the water easily, just takes more experience to ride it rope free!

davidstan
04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
One question for those with the tsunami. Description says it is for intermidiate/advanced surfers so is it right for a beginner? How thick is the board? Like a surfboard? Thx

MattsCraft
04-05-2011, 10:25 PM
My :twocents:: I have literally taught 20 plus people how to surf, most of which have never skied or boarded etc. There is a simple rule I use, and yes the driver has everything to do with it! Slow and easy on take up, combined with boat position as it relates to the rider is so, so important. You must start with new surfers off the port side corner, (assuming that is the side you are using/regular riders/right foot back) this will allow the rider to push into the wake as they get up.

We have 2 boards in our arsenal, the one in the picture (Skim Style) and a longer/wider board which is easier to surf/hold in the pocket than the shorter/Skim style board. That being said, the shorter skim board is the best place to start for beginners, why? It is much easier to maneuver in the water and control when getting up. The problem is the board; having only a center fin is harder to control once the rider is up. After they have tried this a few times, got the feel of controlling the board and at least surfed into the pocket, we switch them to the larger board and bingo; they are now surfing, with the rope at least.

On take up, if your rider gets stranded center or starboard side and does not have the feel to pressure their front foot, stop, they will not get into the pocket/surf through the wash, as the wake is developing. This is why I like to keep the rider off of the port corner, as the boat starts and the wake is developing, they are forced into the pocket.

Hope this makes some sense and helps:D