PDA

View Full Version : Battery Load tester

airdrew99
04-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Does anyone own a battery load tester? I know you can go to Autozone and use it for free. I was looking at buying one. I have a Powerstroke diesel with 2 batteries that I would like to be able to check and other vehicles as well. If you own one, what kind and do you recommend it? Thank you for any input.
Drew

muskingumriverdocks
04-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I have a cheap one that was bought at Harbor Freight. I've had it for 5 years or so and it still works ok. One suggestion, if your diesel has one bad battery replace both. If you don't then the battery you leave in will weaken the new one.

JLeuck64
04-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I think its kind of funny to say this but I have two! I call them my ears lol. But seriously... I have always used the sound of engines cranking as the first clue to the general health of the battery(s). From there, if the engine sounds weak or slow during cranking I will grab a voltmeter and look at the battery voltage while the engine is cranking. A new fresh battery can maintain well over 10 volts while cranking the engine and weak batteries don't. I agree with the above poster about replacing systems using two batteries as a matched set. Its a good idea I believe because the healthy one has been covering for the weaker of the two.