PDA

View Full Version : TT with an iPad

MyCabinFever
04-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Can anyone help out and let me know how I can access Marketplace while viewing through my iPad? None of the icons appear on my screen when I access TT on iPad. Still trying to figure this thing out!

east tx skier
04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I can look when I get home. I don't think the buttons are flash animations. So they should work. Or, they may have been destroyed along with the emoticons in the most recent forum "upgrade."

Double D
04-01-2011, 07:12 PM
I think your biggest issue will be that the site has a lot of 'Flash' components in it and since Adobe (Flash) and Apple (Safari) cant learn to play nice together, you are kind of hosed.

flipper
04-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Can anyone help out and let me know how I can access Marketplace while viewing through my iPad? None of the icons appear on my screen when I access TT on iPad. Still trying to figure this thing out!
The market place isn't working at all right now

MyCabinFever
04-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I think your biggest issue will be that the site has a lot of 'Flash' components in it and since Adobe (Flash) and Apple (Safari) cant learn to play nice together, you are kind of hosed.
I was afraid the Adobe situation might be the problem. Is there another way to navigate to Marketplace without clicking on the actual icon?

east tx skier
04-01-2011, 10:46 PM
You could send a link to your ipad. I figured out that getting there was half the battle when I got home.

Barefooter92
04-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Well now that you mention it. They have never worked (two years) on my itouch.

MyCabinFever
04-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Well now that you mention it. They have never worked (two years) on my itouch.
It would be nice, in today's world of iWhatever, if there was a link within TeamTalk. Possibly under News & Information or a forum header of it's own.

bigmac
04-02-2011, 09:28 AM
It would be nice, in today's world of iWhatever, if there was a link within TeamTalk. Possibly under News & Information or a forum header of it's own.

Internet-savvy organization that MasterCraft is, I'm sure they're waiting to see if the iPad, iPod, or iPhone catches on before making their site work on those devices. Maybe MC will make a change if they ever see evidence that those devices are becoming popular.

erkoehler
04-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Just bought an ipad the other day, can't wait for it to arrive!

The boat brand I work for now has some different apps available as sales tools, I'm sure MasterCraft is going to have something.

east tx skier
04-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Internet-savvy organization that MasterCraft is, I'm sure they're waiting to see if the iPad, iPod, or iPhone catches on before making their site work on those devices. Maybe MC will make a change if they ever see evidence that those devices are becoming popular.

Dear Apple, flash compatibility. Get some.

Seriously though, why doesn't Apple make it's browser compatible. It's stubbornness born of it's feud with Adobe doesn't mean MC ought to have to make a special website just for Apple.

There's always Skyfire if you want to pay more.

Sent from my Android device while watching flash video and cruising through the MC site with no problem whatsoever.

/has plenty of Apple devices and likes them just fine, but is irritated when flash doesn't work.

bigmac
04-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Dear Apple, flash compatibility. Get some.

Seriously though, why doesn't Apple make it's browser compatible. It's stubbornness born of it's feud with Adobe doesn't mean MC ought to have to make a special website just for Apple.

There's always Skyfire if you want to pay more.

Sent from my Android device while watching flash video and cruising through the MC site with no problem whatsoever.

/has plenty of Apple devices and likes them just fine, but is irritated when flash doesn't work.

Flash is an amazing resource hog, especially in the amount of clock cycling it requires, and as a video interface it's the buggiest piece of crap to come down the pike. So many people want to ascribe this to simple corporate petulousness because they look no further than the "in-depth" reporting of the issue by CNN or some other equally tech-savvy news outlet. The reasons for that decision by Apple are well-documented and well-supported. We now see Adobe scrambling to clean up Flash and bring it up to reasonable performance standards as a result of Apple snubbing them, but it's too little and too late. Since the early days of Postcript (the origin of the long-simmering feud) they have repeatedly shown that Apple can't trust them.

It will take longer than many of Job's other market-changing initiatives, but Adobe is going to likely lose this one. Again.

As to the Mastercraft forums, that company's ability to identify and use internet tools and trends for their marketing is..uh..less than stellar. I doubt anyone at Mastercraft even knows there's an issue.

No Skeez
04-02-2011, 01:20 PM

They're moving in the right direction with the boat buyer's guide iPad and iPhone apps, but yes, there is room to expand. Plus, those were developed by Bonnier Corporation.

Double D
04-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I just posted this on my wifes iPad so it can be done you just don't get the fancy buttons on top, the smileys, or the nice home screen.

Use this link.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/

east tx skier
04-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Flash is an amazing resource hog, especially in the amount of clock cycling it requires, and as a video interface it's the buggiest piece of crap to come down the pike. So many people want to ascribe this to simple corporate petulousness because they look no further than the "in-depth" reporting of the issue by CNN or some other equally tech-savvy news outlet. The reasons for that decision by Apple are well-documented and well-supported. We now see Adobe scrambling to clean up Flash and bring it up to reasonable performance standards as a result of Apple snubbing them, but it's too little and too late. Since the early days of Postcript (the origin of the long-simmering feud) they have repeatedly shown that Apple can't trust them.

It will take longer than many of Job's other market-changing initiatives, but Adobe is going to likely lose this one. Again.

As to the Mastercraft forums, that company's ability to identify and use internet tools and trends for their marketing is..uh..less than stellar. I doubt anyone at Mastercraft even knows there's an issue.

I won't argue with that, at least with it as a video standard. But CNN? The rest of us are not so inept as some might think just because we have the gall to point out this flaw with the almighty fruitware. And please don't think this is some fanboi versus fanboi post either. Apple's fine. I use it plenty. But I don't drink the Steve Jobs koolaid. And you can't do dips between the screens of two ipads. I have itunes. It does fine at organizing the music. But buggy or not (if we are to believe everything the Apple sources spew on cultofmac.com), ideal or not, flash comprises a great portion of the functionality of the internet. Without flash support, you can't even get to market on this forum, for example, because the button is animated.

But, really, MC should have to change because Apple chooses to not be able to see the button within Safari?

When I'm using my ipad or my ipod to surf, it ticks me off that it isn't compatible when flash is the medium. I hate having to find a work around when it could just work. That's it. For the money, it should have that functionality and I think it's a shortcoming in Apple's mobile products. I'm not alone in my opinion and it's not because I needed Wolf Blitzer to explain it to me. It's simple. It doesn't work unless I want to pay to use a browser like Skyfire that can do that. The Apple products simply can't do what I want them to do in this regard. Apple can say they're protecting you from something that isn't up to their standards, but that's just silly. It didn't stop them from having a youtube app in there from day one.

I say give the user the capability to do what he wants and stop holding the cards so close. But as an Android user, I'm spoiled in that regard. I welcome the fragmentation argument.

I used to really want an iPhone. Then I got an HTC EVO. Now I don't think about iphones anymore. I think it still has a bit more elegant of touch interface, but not enough to make me want to put up with AT&T or Verizon. Getting back to flash for a second, I guess I don't see the memory problems on my phone from my "do everything" browser because my phone has ample memory to support it ... about 2x that of a 1st gen. ipad.

/Nerd rant, over.
//CNN. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/big/rolleyes.gif Pfff.

FancySauceRules
04-03-2011, 03:18 AM
I wanted an HTC EVO until I realized it's the worst battery life in the history of phones. You can't view flash content if your phone is dead.

BriEOD
04-03-2011, 08:58 AM

Dude, are you ruffling feathers again?! :D

Hope things are well.

east tx skier
04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I wanted an HTC EVO until I realized it's the worst battery life in the history of phones. You can't view flash content if your phone is dead.

My wife's cr@p winmo phone has all bad battery life beat.

The EVO was much maligned when it was first released because of its battery life. There was a recent analysis of the phone over a year later. Looks like they improved the battery life with an update.

HTC sent out an update that somehow has DRASTICALLY improved the battery life for stock users. It was found that Sense was the greatest killer for the battery (excluding the gorgeous four.three inch power sucker you’re accustomed to searching at) and HTC corrected that. Will the Evo ever win finest battery out of the box? No. But it no longer has the tag of “worst battery life ever.” In truth, if users are smart, they can adjust the Evo so that it runs for DAYS without having needing to be recharged (not you frequent gamer/GPSer).

My experience with it has been that for the EVO, like with any smart phone, if you manage your data settings so that it's not constantly looking for emails, battery life is much improved. My use of the phone doesn't require me to "push" emails and that helps tremendously. The way I have it set up, I'm good for the day with plenty to spare. If I forget to charge it, it's still going the next morning and I'm not in a rush to charge it.

If you're running 4G data on it, it will drain it quick though. If I use that, I turn it off after whatever I'm downloading is done. 3G works fine for general surfing. But the 4G comes in very handy for pulling down large files or uploading pictures.

I don't know about worst battery life ever. My friend with a Galaxy S isn't doing any better or worse. I have owned one since last fall and if it was as bad as you think it is, I might not love the phone as much as I do. How long did you use yours before you came to this conclusion?

Getting back on track, the ipad has tremendous battery life. Of course, it's got a lot more room for a battery than any of these smart phones. But hats off to Apple. I generally get two weeks out of a full charge.

Double D
04-03-2011, 11:20 AM
My wife's cr@p winmo phone has all bad battery life beat.

As for the EVO, like with any smart phone, if you manage your data settings so that it's not constantly looking for emails, battery life is much improved. The way I have it set up, I'm good for the day with plenty to spare. If I forget to charge it, it's still going the next morning.

If you're running 4G data on it, it will drain it quick though. If I use that, I turn it off after whatever I'm downloading is done. 3G works fine for general surfing. But the 4G comes in very handy for pulling down large files or uploading pictures.

I don't know about worst battery life ever. I have owned one since last fall and if it was as bad as you think it is, I might not love the phone as much as I do. How long did you use yours?

My work Phone is the HTC Eris running Droid Software. Talk about sucky battery life!! I would turn everything off, turn down the screen brightness, but the only thing I needed to keep running was the phone and e-mails, since it was a business phone. I would pull it off the charger at 8 AM, and most times it would be dead before 5 PM. If I was traveling the start time would be earlier and then I would be screwed by 3 or 4 in the afternoon. My only saving grace is I invested in a high capacity battery which gives me two days now with all kinds of stuff running. It does however increase the thickness of my phone by double. But its actually easier to handle. The battery comes with a new back plate.

All that said, the phone still has problems since its an older model and will trade up for the iPhone in a heart beat. I just hope there is still an iPhone 5 planned for the summer.....

east tx skier
04-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Seems like I heard somewhere that this may be the first year since 07 that we may not see a new iPhone announced in May. They may be taking more time to see if they can need up the battery to handle LTE, which is purportedly an even bigger battery hog than wimax.

Double D
04-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Seems like I heard somewhere that this may be the first year since 07 that we may not see a new iPhone announced in May. They may be taking more time to see if they can need up the battery to handle LTE, which is purportedly an even bigger battery hog than wimax.

I wish they would just tell us! I guarantee that Verizon iPhone 4 sales would go way up if we 'the consumer' knew that we would not see an iPhone 5 for a year and a half from the time they were released to Verizon.

east tx skier
04-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I suppose. Unless people are wanting something that will run on LTE, which presumably would be a feature on the iPhone 5. We shall see.

MyCabinFever
04-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I just posted this on my wifes iPad so it can be done you just don't get the fancy buttons on top, the smileys, or the nice home screen.

Use this link.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/
Thanks DD. I can get to and use the screen that you sent the link for, but what I really want to be able to do is to get to "Market" from the main TT homepage, the link you sent. Does anyone know how/can this be done?

Double D
04-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks DD. I can get to and use the screen that you sent the link for, but what I really want to be able to do is to get to "Market" from the main TT homepage, the link you sent. Does anyone know how/can this be done?

Dont fret! Here is the link: http://www.mastercraft.com/market/ but it doesn't work ever since the recent updates they did to the site. So its not the iPad at this point. I cant get to Market, Showroom, etc. Their all broke...

FancySauceRules
04-03-2011, 02:56 PM

The quick work around is to get a remote login app, like Log Me In Ignition, and view the website on your home computer via your iPad. This unfortunately is one of those situations that is tough on the iPad. I actually spend most my time inside apps so lack of flash doesn't bother me. The android users I know rarely use apps, so I imagine they would be lost without flash. Apps use far less data, run faster and are tailored to the aspect ratio of the screen. Some cost money, but most tasks can be completed with a free version. With 65,000 in the app store, you can accomplish about anything you want.

As for iPhone 5, it most certainly will be out in June. The rumors of delays are used to sell people on more droids. The iPad 2 wasnt supposed to be out till summer.....typing on it now.

east tx skier
04-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Good. Can't wait to see it. So how long did you have the Evo? Trying to figure out when they updated sense to improve battery life.

As for apps, we Android users run plenty of web apps. But you're right, we'd be pretty upset if we lost flash capability. One nifty thing about the android app market is that it's web based. So no software to mess with to access the app market. You can browse and install apps from the webpage and they download ota to the phone. Of course, you can do it from the phone, too with the market app or, my preference, appbrain.

FancySauceRules
04-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I had the EVO last fall and switched to iPhone. The droid products are fine phones but all around apple products give a better all around experience. Droid products keep trying to sell the latest hot "stat" without regard for whether it actually works. An example is the EVO camera....supposedly better than iPhone on paper, but way worse video and pictures in reality.

Web based app store I can do without too. This is one of the last websites I visit. I am trying to go 100% apps. I am tired of logging in to have websites customize my experience. Also, web browsers keep reloading data that an app stores locally. That leads to slower performance and extra data usage. Also, I dont want to track all my web passwords. I am yet to figure out a single password that fits all standards.

east tx skier
04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Different stokes, I guess. I just don't find it to be so complicated.

They day they put a decent camera sensor in a phone, let me know. Cameras in phones are handy enough, but don't come close to a stand alone.

MyCabinFever
04-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Dont fret! Here is the link: http://www.mastercraft.com/market/ but it doesn't work ever since the recent updates they did to the site. So its not the iPad at this point. I cant get to Market, Showroom, etc. Their all broke...
DD, thanks for the link. I too was checking the Market link on my home PC and noticed it was down. Good to know it is not my system messing with me again. I have enjoyed the discussion generated by my simple iPad question. It makes me realize how little I know about some things. Been enjoying a 77 degree day wishing I was on the H2O getting to know my, new to me, MariStar! It won't be long.
Good Day

east tx skier
04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
As for iPhone 5, it most certainly will be out in June. The rumors of delays are used to sell people on more droids.

September (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42678795/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/)

FancySauceRules
04-20-2011, 09:38 PM
September (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42678795/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/)

Just one more rumor from china....

I saw another one this weekend that said next year.

At least this one admits production this summer. It won't be a big game changer anyway. If you heard Apple's conference call today after earnings, Tim Cook didn't have nice things to say about 4G chipsets. Basically it seems to imply they aren't ready for prime time.

My work just gave me a 4G hot spot. The one that Verizon advertises 100 times a day. I wasn't getting a 4g signal, so i looked up the coverage map. Soooooo funny!!! Verizon 4g only covers Portland airport in Oregon! Why advertise and sell a product that doesn't exist! So typical. That's a big reason I stay with apple products. They deliver on everything they sell you. They don't sell the hottest feature till it's ready for everyday use without compromise.

FancySauceRules
04-20-2011, 09:45 PM
When I said "out in June", I really mean announced in June. Announced is all I really care about. Once that happens, we can at least evaluate it's merits and make purchase decisions. If the iPhone 5 isn't 4g and someone can make a 4g phone that lasts me 48 hours without any compromise, I am ready to switch(assuming Verizon or AT&T rolls out 4g to more than just the Airport terminals, hahaha).

east tx skier
04-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Must have misunderstood. When I say out, I think "out in stores" and ready to buy. Announced versus released. In the end, we will know in June and September whether these are rumors or not. I personally don't care. Not in the market for one. Certainly not with Verizon or AT&T.

Anyhow, plenty of dual core monster phones to drool over while Apple gets ready for its next iteration.

east tx skier
04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Just one more rumor from china....

I saw another one this weekend that said next year.

At least this one admits production this summer. It won't be a big game changer anyway. If you heard Apple's conference call today after earnings, Tim Cook didn't have nice things to say about 4G chipsets. Basically it seems to imply they aren't ready for prime time.

My work just gave me a 4G hot spot. The one that Verizon advertises 100 times a day. I wasn't getting a 4g signal, so i looked up the coverage map. Soooooo funny!!! Verizon 4g only covers Portland airport in Oregon! Why advertise and sell a product that doesn't exist! So typical. That's a big reason I stay with apple products. They deliver on everything they sell you. They don't sell the hottest feature till it's ready for everyday use without compromise.

I have a 4g phone that works as advertised (I suppose its a hotspot, too). I actually have pretty good coverage in my town of under 100k. Not on verizon though. We've been on sprint for a while. Suffered through the bad times. Now, it's nice having 4.5 mb down when I need it. I'm glad HTC doesn't care what Apple thinks is ready for the masses. My phone is currently speedier than my home internet when I want it to be. Regret my current purchase not at all.

east tx skier
06-06-2011, 06:23 PM
When I said "out in June", I really mean announced in June. Announced is all I really care about. Once that happens, we can at least evaluate it's merits and make purchase decisions. If the iPhone 5 isn't 4g and someone can make a 4g phone that lasts me 48 hours without any compromise, I am ready to switch(assuming Verizon or AT&T rolls out 4g to more than just the Airport terminals, hahaha).

Well, at least they "announced" iCloud at WWDC.

FancySauceRules
06-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Well, at least they "announced" iCloud at WWDC.

Well, still no 4g service here in Oregon, so no hurry on the new phone. Hopefully the wait is for a 4g iPhone. But really, iOS5 is the "new phone". 4g is the only hardware update we are waiting on. Processors are already fast enough and I don't need anymore megapixels.

east tx skier
06-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Well, still no 4g service here in Oregon, so no hurry on the new phone. Hopefully the wait is for a 4g iPhone. But really, iOS5 is the "new phone". 4g is the only hardware update we are waiting on. Processors are already fast enough and I don't need anymore megapixels.

How do I have 4G in Tyler TX and you don't have it in Oregon. To quote Fast Time, "we can't even get cable TV here....". That with the wifi tether for root has come in extremely handy on the last two business tripsmi was on. Beats scrounging for wifi.

Got Apple TV last week. Pretty seamless interface for what I needed. Just wish indidnt have to keep iTunes open for the music to stream.

Got the gingerbread root port from the ota over the weekend. Battery life is much improved. New radios are nice as well. Lots of guys getting in excess of 37 hours of use on STD evo battery. Apple still does a lot better on the battery, but that is a significant improvement.

Agree that IOS5 looks nice and the free cloud stuff will be nice nice. Figure google will make picasa stream and get something similar up and running. It's not as if they don't have the server space. They are probably waiting for LTE to get better reach, I agree. As someone with one bar of 4G, I can tell you that it's a nice feature when I'm trying to move big files, multiple picture uploads or hidef video, around. Given what Apple is wanting to do with their cloud service, 4G must be the hold up.

Double D
06-07-2011, 01:38 AM
I didn't bother waiting and just got the iPhone 4....

TTAdmin
06-08-2011, 05:15 PM
MasterCraft HQ in Vonore, TN - just outside of Knoxville. Sprint has been testing 4G in our area since March...spotty use cases at this time. Recently reviewed tests of 4G circuits on the towers. We got between 12 and 20mb on point to point tests. But for now it's like being the only car on the highway with 4G...you can go as fast as you want. Once more of these circuits go live people won't be able to get nearly those speeds because they will be competing for bandwidth with others as they come on the network.

east tx skier
06-08-2011, 05:21 PM
MasterCraft HQ in Vonore, TN - just outside of Knoxville. Sprint has been testing 4G in our area since March...spotty use cases at this time. Recently reviewed tests of 4G circuits on the towers. We got between 12 and 20mb on point to point tests. But for now it's like being the only car on the highway with 4G...you can go as fast as you want. Once more of these circuits go live people won't be able to get nearly those speeds because they will be competing for bandwidth with others as they come on the network.

Drive fast while you can. 4G is handy for downloading large files and uploading pictures and video. I tend to leave it off unless I'm doing this. When I do, I'll stay put, because like you mentioned, if you're moving about, it's spotty.

Those speeds are insane. I'm happy to get 4.5 Mbps down with 4G.

FancySauceRules
06-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Drive fast while you can. 4G is handy for downloading large files and uploading pictures and video. I tend to leave it off unless I'm doing this. When I do, I'll stay put, because like you mentioned, if you're moving about, it's spotty.

Those speeds are insane. I'm happy to get 4.5 Mbps down with 4G.

I totally agree, 4g is amazing. I was in Sacramento and my corporate Verizon 4g hotspot got a good signal. It was depressing to come back to 3G here in Portland.

east tx skier
06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
My 3G has been particularly slow here over the las several days. Not sure what the issue is.

FancySauceRules
06-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Verizon just popped the trunk on 4G service in Portland!!! Testing it right now. Pretty sweet.

Double D
06-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Verizon just popped the trunk on 4G service in Portland!!! Testing it right now. Pretty sweet.

What phone?

FancySauceRules
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
What phone?

Currently using a Verizon 4g hotspot from Samsung with an iPad.

east tx skier
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
What kind of speeds are you getting?

FancySauceRules
06-16-2011, 04:01 PM
What kind of speeds are you getting?

Right around 10.5-11.5 Mbps down and 5.5-7.5 up. Such a huge upgrade!

FancySauceRules
06-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Just did the comparison, here in downtown PDX(pearl district). AT&T 3G is .75-1 Mbps vs. Verizon 4G 10.5-11.5. I cant do Verizon 3G, as my hotspot always selects the higher speed. The AT&T test was done on my iPhone.

east tx skier
06-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Here, I'm getting around 1.4 Mbps on 3G (sprint) versus 4.5 Mbps on 4G. In Dallas, my 4G was clocking out over 8 Mbps.