PDA

View Full Version : E15 fuel coming?

Jerseydave
04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
This is not good for anyone......

http://gaswatch.info/ethanol-e15-boat-engines/

Jeff d
04-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Fortunately I still have 3 gas stations within few miles of my house with non-ethanol fuel at prices comparable to the E10 stations.

Jeff d
04-01-2011, 02:04 PM
BTW what's the incentive for gas stations to purchase and sell ethanol fuel in areas where reformulated gas isn't mandated by the EPA? Is it cheaper?

It's not mandated where I live but 90%+ of them sell E10.

FourFourty
04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
It is bad..... I am not nearly as worried about E15 in my boat as I am about Food prices. Be afraid, be very afraid. On the day of this announcement (a couple months ago) The price of corn started to rise. It has not stopped. The price for corn today is over twice what it was a couple months ago, and there is a lot of worry of an impending shortage. Corn is involved in almost every food we eat.

Those who thought it would be a good idea to use a food source to power our vehicles are Idiots....

captain planet
04-01-2011, 02:13 PM
It is bad..... I am not nearly as worried about E15 in my boat as I am about Food prices. Be afraid, be very afraid. On the day of this announcement (a couple months ago) The price of corn started to rise. It has not stopped. The price for corn today is over twice what it was a couple months ago, and there is a lot of worry of an impending shortage. Corn is involved in almost every food we eat.

Those who thought it would be a good idea to use a food source to power our vehicles are Idiots....

Thanks to well funded lobbiests. That's the reason corn is used for ethanol and it is being pushed on us....lobbiests. Also the reason corn is so well subsidized in this country.....to the tune of 20 billion a year.

vision
04-01-2011, 02:16 PM

I have to agree. This is just amazingly good marketing by ADM and similar companies. The benefits of ethanol as a fuel source are hard to find. Recent studies have questioned the EPA's policy on mandating ethanol in certain areas as the reduction in fuel economy off sets the reduction in per gallon emissions.

Please tell me we are not still financially subsidizing ethanol production.

captain planet
04-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I have to agree. This is just amazingly good marketing by ADM and similar companies. The benefits of ethanol as a fuel source are hard to find. Recent studies have questioned the EPA's policy on mandating ethanol in certain areas as the reduction in fuel economy off sets the reduction in per gallon emissions.

Your joking right?

JDJ_205
04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Your joking right?

Unfortunately the lake i'm on is not that big - so we're at the mercy of the local gas stations.

Its a double whammy. You get gas that isn't as good for your boat and food prices go up b/c of the ethanol as well.

captain planet
04-01-2011, 02:44 PM

Speculators ought to be drawn and quartered. :mad::D You tie the ropes, and I'll whip the horses.

Jerseydave
04-01-2011, 02:47 PM

I'm in the wholesale food business......it's going crazy right now. Beef, pork, poultry, cheese....pretty much everything I deal with is climbing every week. Most of the increases are because of grain prices, especially corn. The govt is partially to blame, plus other countries (China for example) are buying a lot of our corn driving up the price. We need the corn for food production, not fuel production.

The EPA has the head up their a**, and the tree huggers are getting in the way when it comes to us using more of our own resources here in the U.S.

DooSPX
04-01-2011, 02:53 PM
the lobbyists and politicians make money and do favors for corp. big wig... we have no say in about 90% of the money making schemes that the gov. does.
thats all the ethanol scam is...
now, if they really wanted to use ethanol, there are many other ways to get it, but they would not make the big $$$ from it like with corn. Corn is in about everything we eat or even do everyday, they force ethanol from corn, there for corn has a choke hold over our nation.
at least, thats my opinion

captain planet
04-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm in the wholesale food business......it's going crazy right now. Beef, pork, poultry, cheese....pretty much everything I deal with is climbing every week. Most of the increases are because of grain prices, especially corn. The govt is partially to blame, plus other countries (China for example) are buying a lot of our corn driving up the price. We need the corn for food production, not fuel production.

The EPA has the head up their a**, and the tree huggers are getting in the way when it comes to us using more of our own resources here in the U.S.

There are two problems with this statement.

First, we don't have the resources for our energy needs domestically, at least not in oil. We have plenty of coal, but you can't drive a car on coal.

Second, never mind us treehuggers, we can't keep giving away our money for energy, we need to come up with alternative energy here. We are currently creating history with the largest exchange of wealth in human history with the amount of U.S. dollars going over seas for oil, and for the sake of our future it has to stop.

Ever heard of T. Boon Pickens?

captain planet
04-01-2011, 03:03 PM
the lobbyists and politicians make money and do favors for corp. big wig... we have no say in about 90% of the money making schemes that the gov. does.
thats all the ethanol scam is...
now, if they really wanted to use ethanol, there are many other ways to get it, but they would not make the big $$$ from it like with corn. Corn is in about everything we eat or even do everyday, they force ethanol from corn, there for corn has a choke hold over our nation.
at least, thats my opinion

Brazil generates a majority of their ethanol from sugar cane and their country runs most of its cars on ethanol. BUt hey, we have corn, who needs to use sugar cane? :(:rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Just to make sure we are using somewhat up to date info.

Soundings Trade Only Today
Daily news for
marine industry professionals
April 01, 2011
Search

Efforts to clear the way for the eventual sale of gasoline that contains 15 percent ethanol are under way in Nebraska and Illinois, the National Marine Manufacturers Association reported.

The Illinois bill would authorize the state to encourage service stations to offer E15 and provide information about any financial incentives that might be developed for service stations.

The Nebraska bill would eliminate labeling requirements for ethanol fuel dispensed at service stations.

The NMMA is opposing both bills.

Last year, the Environmental Protection Agency approved E15 for use in cars and light trucks from model-year 2007 or newer. In January, the agency expanded the rule to include cars, SUVs and light pickup trucks built between 2001 and 2006.

E15 has not been approved for use in boat engines.

The NMMA and other groups have filed suit against the federal agency over its decision.

FourFourty
04-01-2011, 03:29 PM

The whole deal is laughable. Think about how many other countries in the world are laughing and saying "Stooopid AMEriCANS"

Speculators ought to be drawn and quartered. :mad::D You tie the ropes, and I'll whip the horses.
I'm with ya

I am in the grain business..... Organic and conventional animal feed manufacturing to be exact. And yes, the food price increases are from a dramatic increase in the value of Corn and Wheat. (wheat has increased due to demand increase as a substitute for corn).

As far as the export of corn- We actually import just as much. Most of the exchange is due to the growing seasons, and what it is used for, and when...... It has been like this for a long long time.

Ethanol is the root cause of the current demand increase, and it will only get worse. EPA is already driving for E20 by 2015. Thats another 3 billion bushels of corn to consume.....Awesome :facepalm: again.

I dont know what to say about the treehugger statement, except that, there are smart ones, and not-so smart ones. For instance, we can use this basic comparison- Any of the treehuggers that dont see enough benefit from hydroelectric power or windmills to make them understand that some fish and birds are going to be inconvenienced for the greater good......Well....they are idiots. The ones that see that a damn creates a new LAKE :o).....They are a bit more enlightened, and they can see, that long term, it is for the better.

captain planet
04-01-2011, 03:36 PM
The whole deal is laughable. Think about how many other countries in the world are laughing and saying "Stooopid AMEriCANS"

I'm with ya

I am in the grain business..... Organic and conventional animal feed manufacturing to be exact. And yes, the food price increases are from a dramatic increase in the value of Corn and Wheat. (wheat has increased due to demand increase as a substitute for corn).

As far as the export of corn- We actually import just as much. Most of the exchange is due to the growing seasons, and what it is used for, and when...... It has been like this for a long long time.

Ethanol is the root cause of the current demand increase, and it will only get worse. EPA is already driving for E20 by 2015. Thats another 3 billion bushels of corn to consume.....Awesome :facepalm: again.

I dont know what to say about the treehugger statement, except that, there are smart ones, and not-so smart ones. For instance, we can use this basic comparison- Any of the treehuggers that dont see enough benefit from hydroelectric power or windmills to make them understand that some fish and birds are going to be inconvenienced for the greater good......Well....they are idiots. The ones that see that a damn creates a new LAKE :o).....They are a bit more enlightened, and they can see, that long term, it is for the better.

I appreciate the qualification. ;) Tree hugger; a badge I wear proudly.......and anyone who is a deer hunter that hunts from a tree stand, literally is a tree hugger.

broncotw
04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
“First, we don't have the resources for our energy needs domestically, at least not in oil. We have plenty of coal, but you can't drive a car on coal”.

This is false! Between Alaska, the newly HUGE oil field discovered in Montana, and all of the deep water un-tapped oil basins in the Gulf of Mexico, there is more than enough oil in the U.S.

The correct statement would be “Because the U.S. Government will not allow it’s own county to be self sufficient and would rather be dependent upon volatile 3rd world countries such as Libya and Saudi Arabia” the result is sky rocketing prices at the pump and the grocery store for the average U.S. consumer”…

FourFourty
04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I appreciate the qualification. ;) Tree hugger; a badge I wear proudly.......and anyone who is a deer hunter that hunts from a tree stand, literally is a tree hugger.

Being in the "Organic" business, I wear it proudly as well.

vision
04-01-2011, 03:45 PM
There are two problems with this statement.

First, we don't have the resources for our energy needs domestically, at least not in oil. We have plenty of coal, but you can't drive a car on coal.

Second, never mind us treehuggers, we can't keep giving away our money for energy, we need to come up with alternative energy here. We are currently creating history with the largest exchange of wealth in human history with the amount of U.S. dollars going over seas for oil, and for the sake of our future it has to stop.

Ever heard of T. Boon Pickens?

I agree, except I fear that fractionation to harvest natural gas is not a good substitute for oil. Disruption of normal geologic formations over large areas is going to bite us in the arse. Not that harvesting oil from sand or rock or the sea bed is any better.

Light, wind, gravity. These energy sources are abundant. We just need to be better at using them. I realize that is both practically and politically easier said than done.

captain planet
04-01-2011, 03:46 PM
“First, we don't have the resources for our energy needs domestically, at least not in oil. We have plenty of coal, but you can't drive a car on coal”.

This is false! Between Alaska, the newly HUGE oil field discovered in Montana, and all of the deep water un-tapped oil basins in the Gulf of Mexico, there is more than enough oil in the U.S.
The correct statement would be “Because the U.S. Government will not allow it’s own county to be self sufficient and would rather be dependent upon volatile 3rd world countries such as Libya and Saudi Arabia” the result is sky rocketing prices at the pump and the grocery store for the average U.S. consumer”…

I would challenge you to find the estimated barrels of oil in these areas and then divide it by the 22 million barrels/day we consume and you will see it will be a short lived supply.

DooSPX
04-01-2011, 03:49 PM

I 100% agree!!!

Brazil generates a majority of their ethanol from sugar cane and their country runs most of its cars on ethanol. BUt hey, we have corn, who needs to use sugar cane? :(:rolleyes:

You know, I live about 20 min. from what used to be one of the largest Sugar cane growers for the whole US. That is until they decided it would be cheaper to import all our Sugar Cane from Brazil.

FourFourty
04-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Sorry to say....This is False. It would be a 10-15 year patch at best. And then, we would be screwed, blued, and tattood.

I would challenge you to find the estimated barrels of oil in these areas and then divide it by the 22 million barrels/day we consume and you will see it will be a short lived supply.

Truth....You haz it.

FrankSchwab
04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
What I don't understand is the push to use Ethanol (fermented mostly from sugar-containing foodstuffs like Corn or Sugarcane) instead of Methanol (higher octane, produced from coal or natural gas or from cellulose containing non-foodstuffs like weeds, grass, straw, wood pulp, etc ).

Oh, that's right, there is no lobby for sawdust production.

broncotw
05-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Here is a post from "Mycabinfever" on 5/1/2011 in regards to the topic "Higher Gas Prices This Summer":

This seems to dovetail into this thread!!!

"I thought this was a good fit for this thread:

This has been around but we need to keep it going so people will realize
Obama will not allow us to have more oil! **He wants to break America.....to
where it's citizens must depend on the Government to care for them!

Here's *Important and verifiable information :

About 6 months ago, the writer was watching a news program on oil and one of
the Forbes Bros. Was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to ask
you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; *how much oil does
the U.S. Have in the ground?" *Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "more
than all the Middle East put together." *Please read below.

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only
scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. *It was a
revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in this
area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota, and extreme
eastern Montana ..... Check THIS out:

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska 's Prudhoe Bay
, and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil.
The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion
barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... At $107 a barrel,
we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5...3 trillion.

"When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their
jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.." says Terry Johnson, the Montana
Legislature's financial analyst.

"This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in
the past 56 years," reportsThe Pittsburgh Post Gazette. *It's a formation
known as the Williston Basin , but is more commonly referred to as the
'Bakken' *It stretches from Northern Montana , through North Dakota and into
Canada . *For years, U. S. Oil exploration has been considered a dead end.
Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades
ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's
massive reserves..... And we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels.
And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost
Americans just $16 PER BARREL!

That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years
straight. *And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one
should - because it's from 2006!

U.. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World

Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the
largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION
barrels. *On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In three
and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this
motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?

They reported this stunning news: *We have more oil inside our borders, than
all the other proven reserves on earth.. Here are the official estimates:

- 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia

- 18-times as much oil as Iraq

- 21-times as much oil as Kuwait

- 22-times as much oil as Iran

- 500-times as much oil as Yemen

- and it's all right here in the Western United States .

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the
environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become
independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of people
dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this
very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION barrels
untapped. *That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the
world today, reports The Denver Post.
Don 't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? *Think again!
It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just
might be funding the environmentalists?

BallBushing
05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I know there's a reason but can't remember what it is. Why can cars run fine with an ethanol mix but boat engines get screwed up?

willyt
05-02-2011, 05:13 PM
alcohol eats the seals in the fuel systems

Jeff d
05-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I know there's a reason but can't remember what it is. Why can cars run fine with an ethanol mix but boat engines get screwed up?

The other issue is storage. You fill up your car and generally burn it within a couple of weeks or less but in the boat it could sit for months (depending on your usage habits). Alcohol loves water so it draws moisture from the air and "mixes" it with the fuel. So, over time you can get some pretty "moist" fuel which leads to poor performance and corrosion.

chawk610
05-02-2011, 05:25 PM

WATCH "Food Inc." Corn rules the planet... it's not funny at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a real global conspiracy!

TX.X-30 fan
05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks to well funded lobbiests. That's the reason corn is used for ethanol and it is being pushed on us....lobbiests. Also the reason corn is so well subsidized in this country.....to the tune of 20 billion a year.

Your joking right?

I agree senior, well stated.

TX.X-30 fan
05-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Sir, the religion of wacko environmentalism has polluted the minds of Americans for 40 years and the schools are where they began the brainwashing. The bottom line is we have NO other energy sources, I assume we will someday but that day is not today. Just look at the beacon lights on windmills they have to be on a real power grid for safety. We have no clue what actual reserves are but NG is estimated at well over 100 years and the nut-ball wackos don't want to tap it.

Here is a post from "Mycabinfever" on 5/1/2011 in regards to the topic "Higher Gas Prices This Summer":

captain planet
05-02-2011, 06:44 PM

I hate to even quote this....but do you really believe the highlighted portion of this? :confused: ......really?

TX.X-30 fan
05-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I hate to even quote this....but do you really believe the highlighted portion of this? :confused: ......really?

Based on his actions what else could we think?

broncotw
05-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Funny Captain Planet!

The point I wanted to get across was not that "Obama will not allow us to have more oil! **He wants to break America" but rather there is more than enough oil present in the U.S. for us to sustain ourselves long enough to develop an alternative fuel source....

As much as I dislike Obama I do not think he wants to "break America!!!