PDA

View Full Version : color problems

hadzinak
03-31-2011, 10:00 PM
I have noticed that after 4 years slight dicolorations at the rear part of the boat where is the most sun exposure...I always apply protective wax once a year ( 5 month season ). Does anyone have anything to propose either to protect or restore?

Justjoe
03-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Wow, yick!

Is it that bad? Or is it the light?

03geetee
03-31-2011, 10:10 PM
THE TEAK!

Dont show Harold he might pass out.

That is some nasty sun damage, it almost looks like Gelcoat seperation too.

JTR

JohnE
03-31-2011, 11:01 PM
I have noticed that after 4 years slight dicolorations at the rear part of the boat where is the most sun exposure...I always apply protective wax once a year ( 5 month season ). Does anyone have anything to propose either to protect or restore?

You already have the anwer. Restore then protect.

hadzinak
04-01-2011, 01:41 AM
it as bad as it looks which is quite bad... as far as restore and protect I have been doing it meticulously for 4 years now but still it keeps on spreading ( at least it is confined at the rear part of the boat ) is there a way to confine it?

sand2snow22
04-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Is the boat moored in saltwater? Just thinking salt and sun might not be a good combo.

Boat needs some professional help. Wet sand, compound, polish, wax, etc....Get her restored and order a waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com so you won't have to restore again.

Teak needs some love, too. Many threads on restoring it....

ntidsl
04-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I need to look up the word meticulous.

Sodar
04-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I am guessing that boat is used in the salt bath... it just has the right look.

Hadzinak, waxing a dark hull once per season is not enough to protect and maintain a dark color that is left exposed to the elements 24/7 for 5 months. In a situation where the boat is pulled out after every use and stored indoors, 1 wax per season would be adequate.

Get it wetsanded, get a cover that covers the transom and throw a coat of wax on the transom every couple months during the season. That chalky oxidation should be gone form good.

hadzinak
04-02-2011, 04:21 AM
This what it looks like at the start of each season.... it is not used in salt water for more than 1 month and it is never left in the sea for more than 4 days in a row...where can I get that cover you are talking about?

erkoehler
04-02-2011, 09:49 AM
It needs to be wet sanded then compounded and polished.

If you compound it and polish you will get a temporary shine like that but after a few weeks the fade will be back.

hadzinak
04-02-2011, 03:15 PM
These are the "creams" I use after I have had it sanded, I think that compound is included. Still the ugliness reappears at the end of each season... I don't think that I can keep sanding it forever.... Anyone know any more permanent solution?

Luv2Ski
04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
As suggested above,

I am not sure you are ever removing the oxidation. You may just be applying a polish (not sure exactly what those creams are). Polish feeds the gelcoat, which fills-in voids on the oxidized surface, which will make it shiny.... for a little while.

I don't think you have a true polishing compound to remove that oxidation. I would suggest hitting it up with #49 oxidation remover (http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product/Gel-Coat-Clean). If that does not work, then you may indeed need to wetsand.

With that much sun exposure in a single season, I agree with others that you should get a cover - too much work goes into polishing the teak and gel to let it get that much exposure.