PDA

View Full Version : cleaning mold off the vinyl

jmmcalpin
03-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Does anyone have the mixture in the MC manual for cleaning mold off the vinyl? I think it was water, hydrogen peroxide and ammonia but can't remember the amounts and I don't have my manual anymore.. Any help welcome..

John

ShawnB
03-31-2011, 08:09 PM
One (1) tablespoon ammonia, one-fourth (1/4) cup of hydrogen peroxide, three-fourths (3/4 cup of water/rinse/dry.

From here:http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/b904483ae2bb799d4fe0b315f00aa764.pdf

2RLAKE
03-31-2011, 09:49 PM
My '04 X9 was dirty when I first got it ... New boat but cover wasn't on well over the winter ... I used Babes, Babes and more Babes and it was perfectly clean afterwards ... I also had mildew and it cleaned it well ... Had several toothbrushes and soft scrub brushes

CardenFam
04-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Dont forget the MAGIC ERASER.

BriEOD
04-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Dont forget the MAGIC ERASER.

Amen to that....

MattsCraft
04-01-2011, 08:49 AM
There is s huge discussion over on WW on this, Malco vs Totally Awesome cleaner. I can't vouch for either and have no idea if this stuff hurts the vinyl, but for what it's worth a lot of people are using it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786614

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786566

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783303&highlight=Malco

Jeff d
04-01-2011, 10:25 AM
I like the hot semi-high pressure DIY car wash to start the de-molding process. I have pulled the boat there at the beginning of the last 2 seasons and blasted everything off the interior. It handles about 90% of it then I follow up with cleaning by hand. If you have a real light colored interior there still may be slightly discolored spots but if you leave the boat out in the sun for a day or two those tend to disappear.

We used to use soft scrub w/ bleach on the vinyl of my dad's Hydra Sports center console and the vinyl still lasted over 15 years even with it being uncovered half the time and stored outdoors. I have been hesitant to use it on my own boat but I doubt it would hurt it although many say it's bad for the stitching. If I had some bad mold/mildew I'd probably give it a shot, stay clear of the seams when possible, rinse thoroughly and follow up with a good protectant. I probably wouldn't use it regularly either although we did use it many times a year on my dad's vinyl with no ill effects.

Jeff d
04-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Oh, and Totally Awesome is great for vinyl that's dingy from skin oil, sweat, sunscreen, etc. but l but I've found that it doesn't do much for mildew stains.

TN X-45
04-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I picked up some totally awesome at the Dollar Store (actually for $1) and I am testing it out on the vinyl in a non-conspicous area and of course following with 303. Make sure you get the clear bottle with red writing and yellow solution. There are a couple of different types. Will let you know how it works.

bobx1
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I started using LA Totally Awesome on my pontoon boat for black streaks and it was "Awesome". I then started using on the vinyl and after 4 years, have not had an issue. I must admit that I have yet to have the nerve to try it on my MC but also have not had a mold/mildew problem on the MC. My pontoon dealer told me the mold/mildew problems are caused by not only putting your boat up wet but also the issue is magnified if there is dirt/oil/etc on the seats as that is what it likes to grow on.

I keep my pontoon boat in the water and covered but the MC goes into indoor storage after each use. I have also started to be dilligent when covering the pontoon boat by wiping down and cleaning the seats PLUS just started keeping a bucket of charcoal in the boat for moisture. Will see if it helps.

Maristar210
04-01-2011, 11:40 AM
One (1) tablespoon ammonia, one-fourth (1/4) cup of hydrogen peroxide, three-fourths (3/4 cup of water/rinse/dry.

From here:http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/b904483ae2bb799d4fe0b315f00aa764.pdf

Loks right to me. Be sure to use some 303 liberally afterwards

MasterCraftByDesign
04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I think the magic eraser will do it! Maybe we need to start carrying some cleaning supplies on MCBD? What do you think?

Jim D.
www.mastercraftbydesign.com
www.mastercraftboatsofchicago.com

Jeff d
04-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Isn't the Magic Eraser abrasive and bad for the vinyl? I used one on a couple of spots on a car's paint once and it made it dull. Had to hit it with a buffer and polish to get the gloss back.

jmmcalpin
04-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas, I am going to start with the ammonia hydrogen peroxide mixture, that seemed to work last year.. if that doesn't work I will try the Awesome and see how that goes..

Thanks John

Sodar
04-03-2011, 10:58 PM
I can speak from first hand experience that Totally Awesome will destroy your vinyl. I have never used Malco, but I have used Totally Awesome on the bolsters of a center console fishing boat and within 2 months of using it the vinyl had discolored and it had to be replaced. I will never let that stuff touch anything I own ever again.

Epic Fail.

Jeff d
04-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I can speak from first hand experience that Totally Awesome will destroy your vinyl.

Did you get the all purpose cleaner in the translucent bottle with the red text and filled with yellow liquid? Like this:
http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/Images/Product_FRT_%20Images_Degreasers.jpg

Totally Awesome also has some miscellaneous household cleaners similar to Lysol and Mr. Clean in opaque white bottles that I would imagine isn't great for vinyl.

I wonder if something could have been on the vinyl that reacted with the Totally Awesome to make the discolorations. The wife got some organic tea tree toilet cleaner once that reacted with something on our toilet seats to make dark orange splotches. The cleaner was totally clear and I'm not sure if it reacted with old cleaner residue or something but it was weird. We had to replace the seats because nothing would remove the stains not even bleach based cleaners.

I haven't had a problem with the LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner that's labeled for vinyl over the course of the last year and it makes the vinyl look great but I might stop based on your experience to be safe. I'm going to make up a batch of the MasterCraft approved recipe above and see how it does.

Jeff d
04-04-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm going to make up a batch of the MasterCraft approved recipe above and see how it does.
Unfortunately the above recipe doesn't seem to be very good. I hit a cushion with that and a scrub brush for a few minutes and it still looked dingy and had some black scuff marks that wouldn't come off (White vinyl). Grabbed the Totally Awesome and it came right off. I'm addicted! Must use Totally Awesome!

jmhjgh
04-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Mold Armor that you can find at Menards works great on mold and mildew, but it is probably not friendly for the vinyl. We used it on our "new to us" 96 205 and we recommended it to friends on their pontoon. Their pontoon vinyl was a disaster and cleaned up amazingly well with the Mold Armor. It might be harsh on the vinyl, but nothing else seemed work. Wear rubber gloves: with the Mold Armor and Magic Eraser we were successful in removing my brother's fingertips :)

rhsprostar
04-26-2011, 12:27 AM
I vote for Magic eraser but i am not sure on the long term effects.......