PDA

View Full Version : 1985 S&S Electronic Ignition/Steering Cable Upgrade

Coloshadow
03-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Hello. I searched the forums and couldn't find specifics to answer my questions. I'm aware skidim.com has what I need, but wanted opinions from others that have done these upgrades.

I have a 1985 S&S with the 351W/1:1 transmission. I've seen HEI distributers and the electronic ignition plug and play upgrades from skidim.com. Has anyone ever swapped out their distributer with an electronic one and is their any advantages from the plug and play Pertronix on a stock engine. The boat has 460 hours on it. Plus spark plug/wires/coil options. I've seen "generic" HEI electronic distributers/wires/coil on Ebay that are priced around what the Pertronix is.

Also the steering cable from "stock" to a rotary type.

Actual part numbers would be a bonus as well.

Thanks

tph
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I believe the stock system is a Steermaster rotary. Did you mean rack and pinion?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-31-2011, 01:51 PM
I installed the mallory ei conversion on my 351 it was easy and works good, if you decide to replace your distributor make sure its a marine grade version.

muskingumriverdocks
03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Hello. I searched the forums and couldn't find specifics to answer my questions. I'm aware skidim.com has what I need, but wanted opinions from others that have done these upgrades.

I have a 1985 S&S with the 351W/1:1 transmission. I've seen HEI distributers and the electronic ignition plug and play upgrades from skidim.com. Has anyone ever swapped out their distributer with an electronic one and is their any advantages from the plug and play Pertronix on a stock engine. The boat has 460 hours on it. Plus spark plug/wires/coil options. I've seen "generic" HEI electronic distributers/wires/coil on Ebay that are priced around what the Pertronix is.

Also the steering cable from "stock" to a rotary type.

Actual part numbers would be a bonus as well.

Thanks

I've put alot (20-30) of the Ignitor II conversion kits on boats. And have never had any problems. They're more econominal than changing the whole distributor.
Sorry, no help with steering question.

Coloshadow
04-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the replies! Any great advantages on the Electronic distributer as opposed to the Ignitor II?

Guess I do have the rotary cable already and I need to diagnose exactly what's up with it. Yesterday I noticed the "cable housing" behind the steering wheel was moving when I turned the wheel. Maybe I just need to tighten that up. Seemed like it was binding up a little last year.

Thanks again!

tph
04-01-2011, 12:06 PM
If the steering system is still binding after you tighten it up you might need a cable. Try this site.

http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=642