PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to helm and steering cable

underdog63
03-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Purchased my first Mastercraft last November. Bought an '89 Barefoot 190 with the Indmar 454 and Holley 750 double pumper. Installed new alternator and ignition module and had carb rebuilt. Boat runs great and is a beast except for the steering. Needs a new helm and steering cable and want to upgrade to a rack and pinion system. Having trouble figuring out what I need to purchase. The existing cable is 15'. Anyone have idea if cable for rack and pinion would be same length or should I just stick with what I have.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-31-2011, 01:14 AM
I put a new Teleflex Rotary system in my boat last summer. Went from fighting the steering to one finger steering. What a huge difference. If there was any less resistance, there wouldn't be enough feel to the steering to really be in touch. Granted I don't have a big block with a power slot.

underdog63
04-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I will look into the Teleflex system.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Underdog, if you plan to stick around for a while, and with a cool boat like yours we hope you do, you should get registered. Click on the FAQ heading on the top left of the page, then click on the General Forum Usage heading. then the Registration heading. That will get you to the link to get registered.

Oh, and we love to see lots of pictures.