PDA

View Full Version : New to team talk - old to mastercraft - Quick Impeller question

JDJ_205
03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Hi All,

I am a proud owner of a 95 ProStar 205. I bought it two years ago and have enjoyed it thoroughly with family and friends. We put almost 200 hours on the MC over 2 years!

I have browsed team talk many times but finally became a member given that it was free. So needless to say I appreciate all of the helpful hints and tips that more seasoned owners have shared.

As soon as I figure out how to upload some pics - I will.

My question is in regard to installing a new Impeller. It seems like a pretty straight forward install but I was curious to whether or not there was anything I should watch out for, avoid, etc.

Thank you!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-30-2011, 03:51 PM
My Stars and Stripes is sufficiently different from the newer stuff that I won't give any specific pointers other than to change it every year with the hours you are putting on it.

Here is one of the many ways to post pics on this site.

1. Click Paperclip icon
2. Click Browse button
3. Locate the picture in your computer and click on it
4. Click Upload button ( to the right of the Browse button)
5. Once picture is uploaded (it will take a moment or two) it will show as Current Attachment
6. Click Close Window button
7. After you have entered text, use Preview Post button to make sure you selected the proper picture.

Bouyhead
03-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Welcome to TT. Do have the standard TBI motor or the LT1?

flipper
03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
It's about as simple as it looks. Nothing special on that one

2RLAKE
03-30-2011, 04:16 PM
just get the impeller vanes rotated in the correct direction

SW MI .... anywhere near Paw Paw Lake? my buddy is there

Thrall
03-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Yep, pretty easy on a direct drive. Undo the 4 screws, carefully pry out the old impeller, put a new one in and put the cover back on with the new gasket.
Only hitch may be the old one might be a little tougher to get out if it hasn't been replaced in some time and/or the splines weren't greased.
You can use an impeller puller or grab the vanes with a couple needle nosed pliers, or pry out with a couple screwdrivers. If it's really stuck, undo the hoses and the brace that keeps the pump from rotating and rotate the pump back and forth while prying or pulling. Same can be accomplished by bumping the starter (disconnect the kill switch) between reounds of pulling or prying.
Coat the splines/shft with some grease or anti seize before installing the new one and next year it will pop out easily.

Thrall
03-30-2011, 04:25 PM
just get the impeller vanes rotated in the correct direction

SW MI .... anywhere near Paw Paw Lake? my buddy is there

Direction of the vanes doesn't matter during installation. Once you bump the starter once they will all be in the right direction.

azskiking
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
I keep to paint can openers in the boat to put it out. Works great with those little hooks on the end

east tx skier
03-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Here are a few tips in addition to what has been mentioned.

1. Remove plate.
2. Using a spray bottle, squirt soapy water all over the old impeller and inside the housing.
3. Pull the safety lanyard and bump over the engine a couple of times to get things moving.
4. Use either paint can openers to get behind the impeller or a pair of needle nosed pliers on the hub to get it out of there. If you get it out in good condition, toss it in a ziplock bag and put it in the glove compartment as a spare.
5. Lube up the new impeller with a water based lubricant (yeah, that kind) to make things easier getting it in.
6. Be careful not to scratch the inside of the housing when removing or installing the impeller.
7. Use a little lube to hold the gasket in place on the cover plate.
8. Be careful tightening those brass screws. They are soft and break easily.

I recommend changing your impeller before the beginning of each season in the spring. It is cheap insurance. If you want to go longer, remove it at winterization. If left in during layup, the vanes can become formed to the odd shape of the housing, making it a less efficient water mover.

CantRepeat
03-30-2011, 05:21 PM
What I do is spray WD40 all over the old one and turn the motor over a couple of times. Impeller comes right out.

bobx1
03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
The only thing I can add is don't get too excited when opening up the package with the new impeller and gasket. I have torn up two new gaskets in the process.

coz
03-30-2011, 11:44 PM
What I do is spray WD40 all over the old one and turn the motor over a couple of times. Impeller comes right out.

Just a FYI, never use petroleum based products to remove or install impellers (says right on the instructions) Glycerin is what comes in the Johnson boxes I get. Easties method with the soap is the best.

CantRepeat
03-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Just a FYI, never use petroleum based products to remove or install impellers (says right on the instructions) Glycerin is what comes in the Johnson boxes I get. Easties method with the soap is the best.

Using WD40 to remove it is fine if you don't plan on reusing it. Which I dont.

coz
03-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Using WD40 to remove it is fine if you don't plan on reusing it. Which I dont.

The WD isn't good for the rear seal in the pump, it's made of the same stuff as the impeller. Use this for the install.

utmb_pa
03-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Any suggestions to make it easier on a v drive? I pulled the cover off without any problems but I have zero visualization. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CantRepeat
03-31-2011, 12:04 AM
The WD isn't good for the rear seal in the pump, it's made of the same stuff as the impeller. Use this for the install.

i've only got the KY pack with one impeller.

coz
03-31-2011, 12:12 AM
i've only got the KY pack with one impeller.

Well...if you have left over KY you know what you can do with that :D

Am I missing something here?.....but did they downgrade the:confused: smileys while they did the site upgrade?...they don't work.

CantRepeat
03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
Well...if you have left over KY you know what you can do with that :D

Am I missing something here?.....but did they downgrade the:confused: smileys while they did the site upgrade?...they don't work.

Looks like with the upgrade either the path has change or the name on all ths smilies has change.

IE getting the error as well.

JohnE
03-31-2011, 09:33 AM

Same here... that's the advice I got from Joe at MCOC when I couldn't budge it one time. I was using needle nose vise grips and couldn't move it. Popped right out after that.

east tx skier
03-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Wire pulling lubricant might be another alternative. KY works really well though.

flipper
03-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Wire pulling lubricant might be another alternative. KY works really well though.
The warming kind or cooling kind?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Boats are always referred to as female, so...........:rolleyes:

flipper
03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
So the one that says "Hers" on it then

thatsmrmastercraft
03-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

flipper
03-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner

JohnE
03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

I go through lots of that stuff......(Where's the damn smileys?)

JohnE
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM

I've heard that before. But Joe from MCOC was certified from MC, Indmar, Seadoo and a few other places. Knows his stuff, I can't imagine him steering us in that direction if there would be a problem.

JohnE
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
All these teak and impeller threads are great, but I think I need to start a new oild thread.

flipper
03-31-2011, 01:05 PM
What kind of oil is the best anyway?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I go through lots of that stuff......(Where's the damn smileys?)

I get all the smileys. :uglyhamme:popcorn::woohoo:

JDJ_205
03-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks to all for the helpful tips to all!

Quick question and this may be a dumb one - the boat is still winterized with eco friendly anti-freeze. Should I take it out first and run it for a bit before changing the impeller?

CantRepeat
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks to all for the helpful tips to all!

Quick question and this may be a dumb one - the boat is still winterized with eco friendly anti-freeze. Should I take it out first and run it for a bit before changing the impeller?

Nope, you might want to summerize at the house though. If something needs to be work on you can do it at home.