PDA

View Full Version : Fuel vent options - surfing a '94 205

Ben
03-30-2011, 01:18 PM
I'd like to try the boat for surfing this year, but the fuel vent is below the rubrail on the left side & I'm afraid a large sac in the corner and a buddy or two may result in water ingress. Any ideas? Have others fixed this?

One thought is to disconnect and run a vent inside the gunnel somehere with a cup or something under it, just in case..

Prefer nothing permanent at first..

Table Rocker
03-30-2011, 01:22 PM
One thought is to disconnect and run a vent inside the gunnel somehere with a cup or something under it, just in case..

Prefer nothing permanent at first..
I don't think you want a fuel vent anywhere inside your boat.

JJMorris3
03-30-2011, 03:19 PM
I second that.

scott023
03-30-2011, 03:56 PM
No way, no how, should you have a fuel vent inside your boat.

MIskier
03-30-2011, 04:21 PM
You could put in a new vent Perco offers vents that are one way and only allow the vapor to vent, but have a trap to stop water from entering through the vent.

Ben
03-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks, I'll check out the perko thing. The one way is for liquid, and vapors can go 2 way? Or 1 way only, which doesn't seem good.

For the record, the plan was to have in the open air part of the gunnel on the inside, unless vapors were bad. Another option could be a long tube so I can hang outside the boat on the side.

Is anyone else using a 205 havng issues with the vent?

etduc
03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks, I'll check out the perko thing. The one way is for liquid, and vapors can go 2 way? Or 1 way only, which doesn't seem good.

For the record, the plan was to have in the open air part of the gunnel on the inside, unless vapors were bad. Another option could be a long tube so I can hang outside the boat on the side.

Is anyone else using a 205 havng issues with the vent?

The air vent, acts as an overflow, when fueling the boat. So, when topping of the tank, fuel will come OUT the vent! The perko one way, stops the fuel from coming out, when fueling. It allows air/water (i.e. - 1990 Tristar) to go into the tank, when engine is running.

If your concern is, water adhering to hull, when heavely corner weighted? Get some industrial
velcro, and attach a splash guard, next to vent.

MIskier
03-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Actually the perko will keep water from entering...it was put on all diesel 190/197 to keep water from getting into the fuel.

Ben
03-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Actually the perko will keep water from entering...it was put on all diesel 190/197 to keep water from getting into the fuel.

OK, that is my concern. I only fill 5-10 gal at a time, not worried about overflow at all. Mainly worried about water getting in when the vent is potentially a few inches above waterline.

Is this something the dealer would have? I can't seem to find online.

MIskier
03-31-2011, 01:30 PM
They might, I'm not sure if they would or not. I was incorrect it is an attwood product it is listed under integrated fuel systems in the components/parts area. it is a p-trap surge protector.

etduc
03-31-2011, 06:51 PM
OK, that is my concern. I only fill 5-10 gal at a time, not worried about overflow at all. Mainly worried about water getting in when the vent is potentially a few inches above waterline.

Is this something the dealer would have? I can't seem to find online.

Dude, you're really sinking your boat.

You can get them on ebay, for $9.00. It's an inverted P-trap. The surge type is a little more, and more involved.

Perko and Attwood info, both say "help"/ keep water out in normal conditions. Inverted p-trap was the common fix, for Tristars, not 100%.) If you're constantly submerging your vent, you will have water/fuel issues.

Why not move the vent, to above the rub rail. My fiberglass guy would charge $200.00, including matching gelcoat. (or you could plug-it yourself, and slap on a decal.)

Ben
03-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Dude, you're really sinking your boat.

You can get them on ebay, for $9.00. It's an inverted P-trap. The surge type is a little more, and more involved.

Perko and Attwood info, both say "help"/ keep water out in normal conditions. Inverted p-trap was the common fix, for Tristars, not 100%.) If you're constantly submerging your vent, you will have water/fuel issues.

Why not move the vent, to above the rub rail. My fiberglass guy would charge $200.00, including matching gelcoat. (or you could plug-it yourself, and slap on a decal.)

I ended up finding it on the attwood site, and noticed the same thing you say - the baffles would only keep light splashing from coming in, not really hardcore ingress prevention.

Honestly, I have no idea how close the vent will come to the water. I know mine is a few inches below the rubrail, and I know a buddy almost has his rubrail in the water when they surf (although his is v-drive and I can probably get by without that much ballast). I need to see how close mine comes when I load the boat up with what I have.

Also need to see if we like surfing. Wife doesn't want to board anymore due to knee issues, trying to find more family fun ideas on the boat... If it's a go after a few tries, I'd go to a more permanent solution, such as relocation, which the baffle vent above the rail would probably be fine, so I'm happy with the suggestion. Just trying to see what others have done, while there is still ice on the lake and I'm stuck on the shore...

MIskier
04-01-2011, 12:13 AM
If you have the transom mounted vent then you shouldn't have to worry about a huge amount of water anyways unless you sink that boat right up to the rubrail while it is stationary. I would highly advise against that though.

etduc
04-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Wife and daughter, both love surfing. However, haven't actually done it, behind my 94 205.

MIskier
04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Yes I understand the reason that you want to do this, and that its a 94 205. This means that the fuel vent is on the transom just below the rub rail. If you load a 205 to the point that the rubrail is almost in the water you are asking for trouble is all that I am saying.

kingwoodlee
04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I used to have the same problem with my Supra Comp TS6m when wakeboarding with our fat sac. (very low freeboard) I "engineered" a loop using copper tubing and inserted it somwhere in the middle of the vent tube between the gas tank and the outside vent. I tie-wrapped this copper loop as high inside the rear of the boat as I could making sure the loop was upright. There is no way water can come in thru the vent, travel up the tubing and somehow make a complete loop and travel into the gas tank. Worked like a champ and we never ingested water again.
Hope that helps.