PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X-15 Tower paint fading

kcolores
03-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Have a 2008 X-15. The wakeboard tower has several black painted appliques including the MasterCraft name. Some of them have faded out to the point that they are almost silver but not all of them or even all of them on one side have done this.

Any suggestions on how to restore these to black? Can they be removed and replaced? Can they be removed and painted?

The rest of the boat is in beautiful shape.

Thanks

bcboy
03-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Have a 2008 X-15. The wakeboard tower has several black painted appliques including the MasterCraft name. Some of them have faded out to the point that they are almost silver but not all of them or even all of them on one side have done this.

Any suggestions on how to restore these to black? Can they be removed and replaced? Can they be removed and painted?

The rest of the boat is in beautiful shape.

Thanks

Try top of the page...Living Mastercraft....Proshop....Tower accessories...There are a few options for you.

Mastercraft by Design...Have fun:)

erkoehler
04-02-2011, 12:15 AM
They can be removed and replaced, but its not cheap.

No way that I know to restore them.

kcolores
04-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Do you know how to remove them?

cdevro
04-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Mine are fading on one side also. The boat spent some major time on the water in AZ in the 110 degree sun. Thinking of replacing them but the cost seems a little outrageous on MC site. I dont need the whole set just one side. I havent tried taking them off yet, planning on using some old fashoned rubbing compound this spring.

sand2snow22
04-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Contact Jim at Mastercraft by Design. He will hook you up as best he can.....

Table Rocker
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
You might check with a local powdercoater or auto body shop. It shouldn't be too bad.

rhythm720
05-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Hey kcolores, I have an 07 X2 and my knobs and decals are fading as well. I spent most of the day removing all my knobs and handles for the wakeboard rack off. I took all of them which was about 12 to 15 pieces all together to a powder coating place in town and they quoted me 75 bucks to re coat them. They said it would take 3 to 5 days to finish. I took some pictures before I dropped them off and Im going to start a thread when I get them back and have a few step by steps on how to do it.

SaltwaterMC
05-12-2011, 04:13 PM
The black inserts that you are referring to are actually black anodized, not powdercoated. You should be able to have them re-anodized black to restore the pieces to their original color.

rhythm720
05-12-2011, 04:20 PM
The black inserts that you are referring to are actually black anodized, not powdercoated. You should be able to have them re-anodized black to restore the pieces to their original color.

Yeah how would you be able to take them off without destroying them? But I was talking about all the knobs and handles. Im replacing my inserts with a different color.

SaltwaterMC
05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I would try a 90 degree pick to get underneath the insert and pry. The inserts are secured with double sided adhesive dots, so they should be able to be removed with some patience. Just be careful not to bend the inserts when prying as they are pretty thin pieces of aluminum.

kcolores
07-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I have decided to try the $1 fix.....Chisel tip Black Sharpie Pen! I did a test area on the small plate at the bottom of the tower and it has held up for over a month with plenty of sunshine and weather exposure without fading of bleeding. I have decided to do the rest of the areas that have faded. Next I will add a layer of boat wax to help it hold up against the elements. It looks great! I've taken a picture to post but each time I try to attach it the process fails (type, filesize, and demihieght and width all seem in order).

kev88
07-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Same problem with sun fade on my 08 X-2. You can not remove without destroying them. Call Jim at Mastercraft by Design and tell him what you need - you don't have to buy the whole set - he sent me what I needed for under $100.

kcolores
07-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Here is the work in progress http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/album.php?albumid=515&pictureid=3297

rhythm720
07-15-2011, 04:43 PM
kcolores, I took all my knobs and levers to a powder coat shop and they look brand new. Now with that, "know it all's" on this site are going to tell you that they are anodized, but the powder coating looks great and works and looks brand new. You can also get them any color you want. Now not sure what type of racks you have, but mine were a pain in the butt. There are a ton of plastic rings and washers that are in the racks. Make sure you lube them up and make sure you use loctite when you are putting it all back together. As far as the inserts in the tower, I replaced mine with the red ones and I had to drill a small hole and use a pick to pry it up so I can get a screwdriver to rip them off. Mastercraft in Arizona told me to do the same thing. So if you have any questions or want pictures, please just PM me and I can walk you thru it. It just takes time. Here is a picture of my tower
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/rhythm720/DSCN0401-1.jpg

MotoCraft08
06-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey kcolores, I have an 07 X2 and my knobs and decals are fading as well. I spent most of the day removing all my knobs and handles for the wakeboard rack off. I took all of them which was about 12 to 15 pieces all together to a powder coating place in town and they quoted me 75 bucks to re coat them. They said it would take 3 to 5 days to finish. I took some pictures before I dropped them off and Im going to start a thread when I get them back and have a few step by steps on how to do it.

HOw'd they turn out?

kcolores
07-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Well my $1 "fix" faded out and looked really bad at the end of the season. After sending MC a couple of emails and not hearing back from them about getting replacement inserts I took matters into my own hands. Was able to pry off the faded inserts carefully with a very fine flat carving tool and a screwdriver. The inserts are more substantial than I expected. There were 9 small double sided adhesive dots each the size of a dime holding the insert in place. I cleaned them off with Goof-Off and then painted them with gloss black spray paint. Used 3M heavy duty double- sided mounting tape to reattach. Looks GREAT. We'll see how they hold up.