PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable replacement- 02 209

02ProstarSammyD
03-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Does anyone have a good write up for changing the steering cable on a 209?

Ordered my cable from skidim and should be here in 2 days. Just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row since I'm borderline mentally disabled. Appreciate any help you can give.

flipper
03-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Take it loose at the helm, take it loose at the rudder, wire the new one to the old, and pull the old out. This way you don't have to break limbs to get in and feed the new one in. Use wire, not tape to connect the two.

02ProstarSammyD
03-29-2011, 05:30 PM
any need to remove flooring or panels? How do I remove it from the wheel? Sorry to be simple minded...........but I'm just that haha.

stewvette
03-29-2011, 06:25 PM
No flooring needs to be removed. I hooked a rope to the rudder end and pulled old cable out threw the helm. Then hooked new one to rope and pulled it threw the opposite direction while having someone guide it threw.

kkkeating
03-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Replacing the cable is easy. You'll need a 19' long steering cable, Teleflex Part # 13419. For replacing do the following:

Step 1. Remove the engine cover and center floor board behind the engine cover.
Step 2. Remove the single bolt/nut from the rudder arm and undo retaining nut (Large nut)
Step 3. Remove the four (4) bolts under the steering wheel and the cable will simply drop.
Step 4. It’s recommended to remove the foot rest panel under the steering wheel. You don’t have to do this, as when I replaced our cable I did not remove this panel.
Step 5. Remove old cable by pulling on it through the steering console.. First, tie a rope to the old cable at the rudder end and then use the rope to pull in the new cable. Otherwise it it'll be difficult to reroute the cable under the console.
Step 6. Route new cable through starting at the dash and push/pull it down through into the engine bilge area with the pull rope
Step 7. Bolt onto the rudder and secure with the retaining nut.
Setp 8. Bolt the 4 bolts back under the steering wheel with the rudder in the straight forward position. You may find that the steering wheel may not be centered when the boat is going straight. Just remove the 4 bolts under the steering wheel, drop the cable slightly, center the steering wheel, and then reattached to the steering wheel.
Step 9: Replace the engine cover and center floor board.

Having a 2nd person helps out considerable with installing the new cable.

02ProstarSammyD
03-30-2011, 10:30 AM
KKKeating thanks so much for the helpful response. Thats exactly what I was hoping for. I had to slightly modify it and hopefully for the sake of my knuckles it doesn't go past this point. THanks guys

Replacing the cable is easy. You'll need a 19' long steering cable, Teleflex Part # 13419. For replacing do the following:

Step 1. Crack open beer #1
Step 2. Remove the engine cover and center floor board behind the engine cover.
Step 3. Remove the single bolt/nut from the rudder arm and undo retaining nut (Large nut)
Step 4. Remove the four (4) bolts under the steering wheel and the cable will simply drop.
Step 5. Get frustrated by girlfriend yelling about using her "good" towels as rags. Immediately open 2nd beer........and move on to 3rd
Step 6. Itís recommended to remove the foot rest panel under the steering wheel. You donít have to do this, as when I replaced our cable I did not remove this panel.
Step 7. Remove old cable by pulling on it through the steering console.. First, tie a rope to the old cable at the rudder end and then use the rope to pull in the new cable. Otherwise it it'll be difficult to reroute the cable under the console.
Step 8. Route new cable through starting at the dash and push/pull it down through into the engine bilge area with the pull rope
Step 9. Start feeling old. Liquid strength #4 to the rescue
Step 10. Drop #4 while trying to balance it for putting retaining nut back on. Open #5
Step 12.Bolt onto the rudder and secure with the retaining nut.
Setp 13. Bolt the 4 bolts back under the steering wheel with the rudder in the straight forward position. You may find that the steering wheel may not be centered when the boat is going straight. Just remove the 4 bolts under the steering wheel, drop the cable slightly, center the steering wheel, and then reattached to the steering wheel.
Step 14: Replace the engine cover and center floor board.
Step 15. Enjoy last beer sitting in boat and making vroom vroom noises with a blessing of a looser steering wheel. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Having a 2nd person helps out considerable with installing the new cable.(*remember to buy 12 pack so alternate step "#10-going to store for more beer" is avoided.

02ProstarSammyD
04-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Guys appreciate the help. Did this in about an hour this saturday. Super easy job minus getting the larger metal end through some holes. Can't believe I was going to get charged 800 bucks at the shop for that.

kkkeating
04-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Glad to hear everything worked out. It's much easier to replace the cable than what it appears to be.