PDA

View Full Version : your initial thoughts

willowtreexx
03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2287727990.html

As some may know, ive looking to get into the MC scene and have been looking/dreaming (X-1)/ and researching

I came across this and my initial thoughts are, good price, double axle trailer, LT-1, mild hours, tower

but i also see it needs a speedo fix, fuel gage fix, and full interior.

what do you think it would cost to fix this up?

I am guessing $1500 for interior but unsure about the fuel float and speedo.

also makes me wonder if the interior is shot and some things broken, is this just going to give me more trouble because it wasnt properly maintained and taken care of...:confused:

TIA for your thoughts

JohnE
03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Price is good. Seller seems honest by disclosing the few flaws it has. I wouldn't buy it without checking thoroughly. I don't think it's worth a trip from chicago to sf though. $1500 should take care of reupholstery if you shop around.

j4rowell
03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Price is good. Seller seems honest by disclosing the few flaws it has. I wouldn't buy it without checking thoroughly. I don't think it's worth a trip from chicago to sf though. $1500 should take care of reupholstery if you shop around.

If you shop around...

Make sure you check the backing to the uphostery. Could cost a thousand more to fix that.

broncotw
03-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I would offer something in the $8,000.00 range.... I would have a certified mechanic go through it with a fine tooth comb just to ensure there are no other problems... I like the fact that the seller seems honest and has disclosed the flaws on this boat... I actually like the boat and think after a few projects it would be a great boat.....

thatsmrmastercraft
03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
There will be plenty of boats for sale much closer as soon as it warms up a little more. 50's by the end of this week will bring some of the market to life. Have patience.

Jerseydave
03-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Only thing good about it is the price. Looks like it was used hard for wakeboarding.
What's your budget? What will you use the boat for? (wake or ski?)

A wakeboarder would want a V-drive bow rider, but now you're talking almost $20K or more
A slalom skier would not want the tower.

At least $2K to replace seat skins.
Fuel gauge is prob a bad sending unit, no big deal.
Speedo? Less than $200 to fix.
Does it have PerfectPass? If not, figure $1300 for that.

That's not a MC trailer, but that's no big deal.

Would I travel that far to buy it? Not likely.

willowtreexx
03-28-2011, 11:55 AM
I would offer something in the $8,000.00 range.... I would have a certified mechanic go through it with a fine tooth comb just to ensure there are no other problems... I like the fact that the seller seems honest and has disclosed the flaws on this boat... I actually like the boat and think after a few projects it would be a great boat.....

I was shopping around and it looks like if i were to get a boat with no tower and add one with speakers, im looking at around $2500.

i love to get my hand dirty so a project would be perfect for me

and please correct me if i am wrong, does the back bottom cushion come out and able to be placed on the ledge to create a sun platform?

willowtreexx
03-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Only thing good about it is the price. Looks like it was used hard for wakeboarding.
What's your budget? What will you use the boat for? (wake or ski?)

A wakeboarder would want a V-drive bow rider, but now you're talking almost $20K or more
A slalom skier would not want the tower.

At least $2K to replace seat skins.
Fuel gauge is prob a bad sending unit, no big deal.
Speedo? Less than $200 to fix.
Does it have PerfectPass? If not, figure $1300 for that.

That's not a MC trailer, but that's no big deal.

Would I travel that far to buy it? Not likely.

Good points!!

i would prever a vdrive but just like you said, now we're talking almost $20k
I mostly ski but would love to get into boarding here this summer

I have a budget of about $13k-$14 is my sweet spot right now (only 23 years old). I would prefer an LT1 of course :)

LaRue
03-28-2011, 12:33 PM
willowtreexx...found this ad in Okoboji classifieds About 10 hours from you.

1996 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 and Trailer
I am selling my 1996 MasterCraft Pro-Star 190. I bought this boat new in 96 and has been well taken care of. My boat has 1010 hours on it. Oil has been changed every year. Boat comes with barefoot boom(which can also be used for teaching kids how to ski). wakeboard, ropes, 2 person tube, and neoprene life jackets (3). beginner water skiis and a nice slalom ski. Many pictures available upon request

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/boa/2281374772.html

13,250 obo

willowtreexx
03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
^^ saw that too and was compairing the two boats. this seems to be in much better condition and I went to School at University of Iowa. so im familiar with the area. Seems like a crazy clean boat and its the original owner which is huge.

LaRue
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
if he lives in and around Spirit Lake or Sioux Falls, i would consider looking at it for you. About an hours drive for me. PM me if that ever becomes a viable option for you.

captain planet
03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
My first thought is 550 hours are low on a 96. My 98 has 640 or so. The skins on the observer seat looks like it needs replaced. Not a difficult task to put on new skins. Fuel guage is probably that foam float that comes apart over time and loses the magnet inside the sending unit. Same thing happened to mine. That takes about 30 minutes to replace with the new style sending unit. The issues disclosed are nothing uncommon on a 15 year old boat. I'm sure 8800 is a starting point. Ask him to take the tinting off the windows and offer him 7900.