PDA

View Full Version : Observations X55

Huskie05
03-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Have a couple questions for the group.

The LSA engine is awesome, low end torque was truly unique, something I have never seen before. It responded with out hesitation, jumped right after it.
I did not hammer really hard on the engine (break in period) but I did get up to speed, seemed like the RPM’s are high, compared to my last boat. At 36mph, it seemed to push almost 5000 rpm. I kept it there for only a couple seconds just to test top end speed. The boat was still climbing, although very slowly. My guess the boat will do 42mph, which is plenty fast. Last boat would do 58mph, but rarely went that fast.
Does that sound right, 5000rpm at 36mph? I have a high altitude prop on it, what came from MC.
New tower was solid, we did not use it but in the heavy chop it did not move side to side at all. The tower did get stubborn in the down position going up, would not engage at first, it does have the new actuators on the tower.
Looking at the rear of the boat, looks as if the rudder is mounted just left of the prop, why? Is that because the prop will throw the wash to the left as it spins? Looks to be mounted a good 2 inches off set to the left or Port of the prop.
Like I said, boat was amazing at low speeds and take offs, from 25 to 35pmh, not as exciting. Trust me, would rather have the low end torque and take off, when we are at speed we are always cruising anyways. Kids said the engine smelled like crayons, I think this was due to the fact that it was breaking in. We did not run it very hard at all.
I plan on getting the MC techs guys from the SLC shop to go out with me, but would really like your feedback out here. Overall, boat blew all our expectations, and the stereo is simply ridiculous. Very happy to be in the MasterCraft family. Last note, got many, many thumbs ups on the freeways today, my daughter said some guy did a triple take looking at the boat going down the highway, we might name the boat Triple Take!

Hammer
03-28-2011, 12:22 AM
That all sounds right in line. Even my small 195 will only hit 47 +/-. You are right on on the rudder, its offset due to prop wash.

Cmpdman
03-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Did you get the indmar engine manual? I haven't seen it yet. I wonder if the breakin is the same as the other indmars. Rpm/speed sound about correct. At slow speeds (for surfing) you are going to have amazing control!

willyt
03-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Looks absolutely amazing.

Only question is... When do I get a ride?

Miss Rita
03-28-2011, 12:48 AM
If the rudder were directly behind the prop the steering wouldn't be as precise. Some say that the rudder is offset so that the drive shaft can be removed more easily.

bcboy
03-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Congrats on the Beautiful Boat...the RPMs seem a little high to me but I dont know the effects of a high altitude prop.

I have the 6 litre at sea level and in all my previous boats the rpm and mph have been pretty close until the very top end.

2500 = 25 mph
3500 = 35 mph
5400 = 49 mph

Do you know what the max rpms are for the prop you have?

Someone will be around soon with all the correct answers...the knowledge on this site is endless!!!

sand2snow22
03-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Last note, got many, many thumbs ups on the freeways today, my daughter said some guy did a triple take looking at the boat going down the highway, we might name the boat Triple Take!

Very true with these boats. MC and Bump Films' next commercial should involve the triple take at the lake and off of the lake. B/C it's true, it happens, envy to the lake, at the lake and from the lake :D

Keep a tally of how many 'nice boat' you get this season! I'm not for naming these boats, but that's what your name should be. A 'nice boat' tally on the back :D

CantRepeat
03-28-2011, 08:41 AM
The high altitude prop is made to give more low end torque so your top end isn't going to be as high. The good news when the ballast is full and you have a bunch of people in the boat it will still pull hard and maintain good wakeboard and wakesurf speeds.

Jim @ BAW will make you some sweet triple take decals! :D

jdl xstar
03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Congrats on the Beautiful Boat...the RPMs seem a little high to me but I dont know the effects of a high altitude prop.

I have the 6 litre at sea level and in all my previous boats the rpm and mph have been pretty close until the very top end.

2500 = 25 mph
3500 = 35 mph
5400 = 49 mph
Do you know what the max rpms are for the prop you have?

Someone will be around soon with all the correct answers...the knowledge on this site is endless!!!

What prop are you using? I have an 8.1 ltr engine and only hit 42.5 at 5200 rpm. i'm using the OJ 14.75 x 17.5.

Huskie05
03-28-2011, 04:23 PM
What prop are you using? I have an 8.1 ltr engine and only hit 42.5 at 5200 rpm. i'm using the OJ 14.75 x 17.5.

This will sound dumb, no clue... I was told it was a high altitude... I did not hammer on it very hard for very long, but seems like 40 is going to pushing it, not that its a huge deal.

MIskier
03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
The high altitude prop will lower your top end as others have said, but not by a huge amount. Coming from an I/O I can understand your confusion with the speed and how the boat handles. The difference in speed is due to the fact that an inboard obviously has a fixed shaft, this means that the hull also runs at a fixed trim angle for a given speed; if you have the attitude adjustment plate that can be adjusted to some degree. Whereas with an I/O you can change the amount of boat that is in the water by moving the drive in and out, this allows you to decrease the amount of resistance the boat experiences allowing you to go faster.

As far as the rudder being offset there are several reasons for that

1. It helps to counter the tendency of the prop to want to "walk" the boat.
2. Helps a small amount in being able to back the boat.
3. Increases the efficiency of the rudder when trying to turn the boat.

Huskie05
03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
The high altitude prop will lower your top end as others have said, but not by a huge amount. Coming from an I/O I can understand your confusion with the speed and how the boat handles. The difference in speed is due to the fact that an inboard obviously has a fixed shaft, this means that the hull also runs at a fixed trim angle for a given speed; if you have the attitude adjustment plate that can be adjusted to some degree. Whereas with an I/O you can change the amount of boat that is in the water by moving the drive in and out, this allows you to decrease the amount of resistance the boat experiences allowing you to go faster.

As far as the rudder being offset there are several reasons for that

1. It helps to counter the tendency of the prop to want to "walk" the boat.
2. Helps a small amount in being able to back the boat.
3. Increases the efficiency of the rudder when trying to turn the boat.

Thank you, great information, learning curve is quickly going down.

jdl xstar
03-28-2011, 05:47 PM
This will sound dumb, no clue... I was told it was a high altitude... I did not hammer on it very hard for very long, but seems like 40 is going to pushing it, not that its a huge deal.

Not dumb at all for you not to know. Prop details are not necessarily on the front burner when you buy a new boat since it is assumed the dealer has the right one on there in the first place. Your situation most certainly sounds like a prop issue and the one you have on there is great low end hole shot and limited top end. There are props out there for your specific engine that will offer a good compromise. Its probably not too late to ask your dealer to swap it out for a different one.

My question was actually meant for the other guy who says his Xstar goes 49mph which is VERY fast no matter what prop or altitude you are at!

CantRepeat
03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Not dumb at all for you not to know. Prop details are not necessarily on the front burner when you buy a new boat since it is assumed the dealer has the right one on there in the first place. Your situation most certainly sounds like a prop issue and the one you have on there is great low end hole shot and limited top end. There are props out there for your specific engine that will offer a good compromise. Its probably not too late to ask your dealer to swap it out for a different one.

My question was actually meant for the other guy who says his Xstar goes 49mph which is VERY fast no matter what prop or altitude you are at!

I agree, 49 for any Mastercraft in stock condition just isn't happening.

scott023
03-28-2011, 05:58 PM
I agree, 49 for any Mastercraft in stock condition just isn't happening.

You sure on that? My 45 has done 48mph and it wasn't maxed out. Stock prop :D and has the L18.

Huskie05
03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
I would rather have hole shot over top end. When we are headed down lake on Powell, we normally would cruise at 35 on the old boat, which was not pushing the engine that hard. I think my cruise speed on this boat will be 30mph. I think I will chew up more gas on this boat going from A to B then the old boat. Last boat was a Deep V, 320 horse with bravo 3. I could go from Bullfrog down to Dangling Rope on just over a half tank of gas, fully loaded with 8 people. I believe the boat would pull 3200 RPM at 38mph.

I am very curious to see what my range will be with the X55, which is important at Powell. I might end up taking extra gas if we plan on going up San Juan or another river. I did not buy this boat thinking about fuel range, but would be nice to know.

TX.X-30 fan
03-28-2011, 06:37 PM
5000rpm at 36 sounds wrong, my MCX was 35 at 3500 rpm

bcboy
03-28-2011, 06:42 PM

I have the OJ 14.75 x 15.5 part #522 and the boats top speed flat out is 49.4 mph on the speedo and confirmed on a hand held gps.

No one was more surprised than me...this is also the stock prop that was on my 08 X-star.

Huskie05
03-28-2011, 06:52 PM
5000rpm at 36 sounds wrong, my MCX was 35 at 3500 rpm

I plan on having the guys from MC ride with me for a float test, jsut to make sure everything is ok. I would like to cruise at 30 and feel like I am not killing the motor at 4500 rpm.

bcboy
03-28-2011, 07:06 PM

I plan on having the guys from MC ride with me for a float test, jsut to make sure everything is ok. I would like to cruise at 30 and feel like I am not killing the motor at 4500 rpm.

It's always a great idea to have the guys come out for test drive and I think it may be to your advantage to have them bring another prop with you to test out.

I have always found these boats have NEVER had a problem with a hole shot and you may prefer a little more top end for your needs....again I am not familiar with high altitude ,But I have always been able to prop my boats for Maximum performance.

I am sure you will be able to get exactly what you are looking for by testing a couple of props out.

Good luck:D

TallRedRider
03-28-2011, 08:35 PM

I had nearly exactly the same numbers with my X45 with the 8.1. Same prop as you.

I have the OJ 14.75 x 15.5 part #522 and the boats top speed flat out is 49.4 mph on the speedo and confirmed on a hand held gps.

No one was more surprised than me...this is also the stock prop that was on my 08 X-star.

Also with the 8.1?

I love that new crayon smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CantRepeat
03-28-2011, 08:48 PM
You sure on that? My 45 has done 48mph and it wasn't maxed out. Stock prop :D and has the L18.

On a paddle wheel or on a GPS?

My 210 did 47 on the speedo, I was suprised it was not anywhere near that in true speed.

MIskier
03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
The 45 and 55 really arent comparable hull designs, while I agree that his RPM's are far too high for the speed he says he was going, expecting the same performance you are getting from your 45's wont help him either. The stepped hull of the 45 helps to reduce the running resistance of the hull considerably. A better comparison would be between the 35 and 55.

FourFourty
03-29-2011, 09:17 AM

I am kind of surprised they would put a high altitude prop on a forced induction engine. The reason for a "high altitude prop" is due to a natural aspirated engine having less power at higher altitudes because atmospheric pressure is lower.... The LSA forces the air in, so altitude doesnt effect engine output very much, if at all. A "high altitude" supercharger pulley would be a better option :D

If it was me, I would change to the regular prop, just so it would maintain cruising speed at a lower rpm and you will probably get a few more MPH out of it.... With the LSA, I dont think you will have problems pulling out of the hole with that prop. That engine is a torque monster.

scott023
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
On a paddle wheel or on a GPS?

My 210 did 47 on the speedo, I was suprised it was not anywhere near that in true speed.

GPS.......

JohnE
03-29-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm surprised you guys are getting that much speed on the top end of those big boats. My X14 tops out at 42 according to zero off. not sure what prop I'm running. Doesn't matter bc I never need to go any faster.

scott023
03-29-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm surprised you guys are getting that much speed on the top end of those big boats. My X14 tops out at 42 according to zero off. not sure what prop I'm running. Doesn't matter bc I never need to go any faster.

I hear you John. That was the one and only time I've had ours over 40... perfect lake conditions made me want to see what it could do.

Huskie05
03-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Ok, went for a quick float test with one of the Tech guys from my local MC dealer. we exchanged the prop that came on the boat, ended up not being a high altitude prop. Put the new high altitude prop on, big difference. The hole shot was still a monster, top end was now 43 and the rpm’s at 35 were at 3950, much better. We used the ballast tanks for the first time today, holly crap! Pretty insane to hit that wake on a double up, not sure I will be doing that any time soon. I can live with the top speed at 43, not sure how often at all I will ever use that speed. Nice to know I can run a little faster with lower RPM. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

We are headed to Lake Mead for a quick weekend trip, 90 air temp and they say the water temp is around 71. If you see an X55 at Mead, come on over and say hello.

Thrall
03-30-2011, 12:13 AM
You got it backwards. You now have a low alt prop with a higher pitch if your Rpms are lower and higher top end.

bcboy
03-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Ok, went for a quick float test with one of the Tech guys from my local MC dealer. we exchanged the prop that came on the boat, ended up not being a high altitude prop. Put the new high altitude prop on, big difference. The hole shot was still a monster, top end was now 43 and the rpm’s at 35 were at 3950, much better. We used the ballast tanks for the first time today, holly crap! Pretty insane to hit that wake on a double up, not sure I will be doing that any time soon. I can live with the top speed at 43, not sure how often at all I will ever use that speed. Nice to know I can run a little faster with lower RPM. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

We are headed to Lake Mead for a quick weekend trip, 90 air temp and they say the water temp is around 71. If you see an X55 at Mead, come on over and say hello.

Glad to hear it has all worked out...congrats on spending the time to get it right!!!

It will pay off in the long run...You may even get another 1 or 2 mph after its all broken in.

Enjoy your weekend and obviously the summer on the water with your family on that AWESOME boat!

Cmpdman
03-30-2011, 12:53 AM
What prop did you go with? Have a fun time at mead.

Huskie05
03-30-2011, 01:50 AM
What prop did you go with? Have a fun time at mead.

I will find out and send it to you, it was a 17.5, I know that. They say we could go a little bigger with the LSA engine, hole shot was still aswesome. so much low end torque...

RaeRay
04-01-2011, 11:49 AM
My tower had problems both raising and lowering, but seems to be fine now. I talked to my dealer they said it takes about 20-25 times for the tower to sync. When you lower your tower to full down do you have to stop your tower motors? did you get the bemi and/or lights?

Huskie05
04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
My tower had problems both raising and lowering, but seems to be fine now. I talked to my dealer they said it takes about 20-25 times for the tower to sync. When you lower your tower to full down do you have to stop your tower motors? did you get the bemi and/or lights?

We are having issues with the same thing, they are replacing the moduel after this trip. It goes up and down, you just have to reset the towere by turning off the batteries and then back on. We got the AFT LED light bar, no bimini yet. We are going to go put 10 hours on the boat then drop it off back at the dealership, let them fix a few things and replace the module. We got the navigation as well, so they have to load that up on the BIG system. We leave for Mead in a couple hours, should be fun.....

Maristar210
04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
We are having issues with the same thing, they are replacing the moduel after this trip. It goes up and down, you just have to reset the towere by turning off the batteries and then back on. We got the AFT LED light bar, no bimini yet. We are going to go put 10 hours on the boat then drop it off back at the dealership, let them fix a few things and replace the module. We got the navigation as well, so they have to load that up on the BIG system. We leave for Mead in a couple hours, should be fun.....

I am curious to hear the longer term reliability of the power tower. Am I right in saying there is no hydraulic bypass in case you lose powe to the hydraulic motor?

TX.X-30 fan
04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
:popcorn:.......

MIskier
04-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I am curious to hear the longer term reliability of the power tower. Am I right in saying there is no hydraulic bypass in case you lose powe to the hydraulic motor?

There are not any hydraulic system on the tower. The actuators are electric screw type motors with a large coil over spring.

TX.X-30 fan
04-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I always like the car dealer who says awwwww don't worry about that it will go away. :rolleyes:

sand2snow22
04-01-2011, 06:02 PM
On another forum it sounds like the BU 23 LSV with that motor can go 51 MPH and the 247 LSV 49 MPH, GPS verified IIRC..

Maristar210
04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
There are not any hydraulic system on the tower. The actuators are electric screw type motors with a large coil over spring.

Ok. (cringe). So then? No bypass if the electrics fail?

MIskier
04-01-2011, 06:38 PM
On another forum it sounds like the BU 23 LSV with that motor can go 51 MPH and the 247 LSV 49 MPH, GPS verified IIRC..

There is about 1,000lb weight difference, 5in difference in draft, and huge differences in the resistance characteristics between a 55 and the 2 Malibus which would account for a lot of the difference in speed, and the malibus will be propped differently.

sand2snow22
04-01-2011, 06:57 PM
There is about 1,000lb weight difference, 5in difference in draft, and huge differences in the resistance characteristics between a 55 and the 2 Malibus which would account for a lot of the difference in speed, and the malibus will be propped differently.

Thank you Captain Obvious. Simply stating what they were observing.

pram
04-01-2011, 07:01 PM

ukranian socket set and linemans pliers will do

flipper
04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Do you have a link for those tools. I'd like to get some

sand2snow22
04-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Snap on????

MIskier
04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Thank you Captain Obvious. Simply stating what they were observing.

I was simply stating the reasons that he wont see those same speeds.

flipper
04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
So I won't see those same speeds in my house boat if I put that motor in? So much for that idea. Thanks for the heads up

MIskier
04-01-2011, 07:25 PM

As of right now nothing that is built into the system.

TX.X-30 fan
04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Is he still seeing 36 at 5,000 rpm?? Something that would concern me too. That and the tower looking like a pontiac Fieros headlights after a year.

CantRepeat
04-01-2011, 07:55 PM

It seems manual erection should be an option on a screw type shafts, no?

kskonn
04-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Manual Erection is the only way to go!

flipper
04-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Manual Erection is the only way to go!

Keep that stuff to yourself guys. :D

sand2snow22
04-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Keep that stuff to yourself guys. :D

It's Friday and they're ...

flipper
04-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Oh dear....

MIskier
04-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Is he still seeing 36 at 5,000 rpm?? Something that would concern me too. That and the tower looking like a pontiac Fieros headlights after a year.

NO, I believe with the new prop he said it was turning 3590rpm, and was seeing a top end of 43.

Maristar210
04-02-2011, 12:10 AM

GIANT FAIL

03 35th Anniversary
04-04-2011, 10:12 AM

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM

I agree...