PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205 transmission issues

agarabaghi
03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
1994 Prostar 205 dd with chevy 350 in it.
1442 hours on the motor

For some reason today when we were trying to get on plane the tranny seemed like it was slipping. If you throttled extremely slow it would sometimes get on plane without makign this noise. It was not making a grinding noise, it was just kinda slipping? or loosing power? Eventually it would be fine, and the boat ran with no issues for the rest of the pull (until we stopped and started again).

Once we were at riding speeds the boat ran like it always does and no issues, it was only when getting going.

I didnt check the fluid levels after today, but my father said he had checked them last week and they were fine. I did not notice any oil / fluids in the bilge, so i dont think it is the tranny leaking.

Im thinking the tranny is going and needs to be rebuilt. Any sugguestions or comments. Im also assuming it has the ZF Hurth tranny, but ill have to stick my head in there to make sure.

JLeuck64
03-27-2011, 10:22 PM
When you get the chance to check again, along with the fluid level look at the color and also take a whiff with your nose. If your nose tells you the fluid smells burnt and the fluid looks dark, then your suspicions about the trans are probably right.

agarabaghi
03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Transmission is :

Borg Warner - Velvet Drive
Mod : 10-17-004
Ratio 1:1
s/n : 60759

Engine is :
Indmar 1993 5.7 L TBI (Chevy 350)
Engine S?n : IC 931217

Skipper
03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Sounds like it is going to need a rebuild. You can get parts at www.skidim.com. They even offer a repair manual. If you are not into doing it yourself then it will cost less to remove the transmission and deliver/ship it to a shop than to drag the boat into a dealership.

agarabaghi
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't think i could do it myself, my dad and I probably could, but I am in orlando right now and he is in Miami.

It might just be easier for me to take it to the dealer, or as suggested mail it out for a rebuild. Any suggestions on who to use?

agarabaghi
03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Can you buy rebuilt / refurbished drives somewhere?

agarabaghi
03-28-2011, 12:56 PM
I got quoted $850 from the dealer here, and waiting on the dealer in So Fla to quote me. How does $850 sound for a rebuild?

CantRepeat
03-28-2011, 01:33 PM
I rebuilt mine for the price of the kit. I had to make one special tool to do it. You will need a press.

You might try just changing the fluid. When mine started to slip I bought the rebuilt kit and changed the oil. I got another 4 or 5 years out of before I did the rebuild. Take photos of your dissassembly. It's really pretty easy.

http://www.marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page198.html

Alto 23901 Sierra 18-2591 Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission Master Overhaul Kit (Master)
$229.00 $189.95 On Sale!

This is the kit I pick up for the 71c. Here is a link to the manuals on it.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32581

You might want to replace the damper plate while you have it out.

Is that $850 if you pull the tranny or drop the boat off?

CantRepeat
03-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Where in the southeast are you?

supturb89
03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
He's in Orlando Tim.

agarabaghi
03-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Drop the boat off, thats my issue. Im in orlando and not in miami where all our family tools are (as well as my dad who is a marine engineer). I dont have the means to drive down either, so im thinking the easiest way to get this fix is to pay the $850 for labor and parts to the dealer.

Im going to change the fluid this week, how exactly do you empty the fluids? Is there a plug to drain it, or do you just use a oil pump to suck it all out?

Bouyhead
03-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Suck it out.

agarabaghi
03-28-2011, 03:08 PM
from the manual it says there is a plug to open.

CantRepeat
03-28-2011, 03:21 PM
from the manual it says there is a plug to open.

Check the fluild when you drain it. If it looks brownish or has any kind of burnt smell you might get lucky on the change.

you can either suck it out of pull the lower rear hose off and drain it that way.

agarabaghi
03-28-2011, 03:23 PM
can you easily get to the lower hose without removing the transmission? I know i should just go look, but im stuck behind a desk until 630pm and then class till 930pm.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-28-2011, 03:41 PM
can you easily get to the lower hose without removing the transmission? I know i should just go look, but im stuck behind a desk until 630pm and then class till 930pm.

So you are saying you can't look until you have no class?:D

agarabaghi
03-28-2011, 03:43 PM
yea, im literally busy mon and tuesday from 8am - 10pm... hopefully wed evening i can get down to the boat and check the fluid.

Skipper
03-28-2011, 04:08 PM
The same place that you check the fluid is where you remove/refill the fluid. There are several devices that use vacuum pressure to suck the fluid out. Then you replace exactly that amount of fluid.

agarabaghi
03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
apparently according to the manual there is a plug to remove for draining...

CantRepeat
03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
apparently according to the manual there is a plug to remove for draining...

If you look at C and D they are the same port on the transmission.

C. Oil inlet from cooler

D. Drain plug

IE if you are going to drain, it's going to be by disconnection the hose.

agarabaghi
03-31-2011, 09:37 AM
wow, so i finally got on the boat yesterday and checked the fluid... EMPTY!!!

Im not sure if there is a leak or my dad just didnt get it in a while and told me he had before i picked it up from him. Anyways i picked up some more ATF fluid and some stuff that apparently helps stop leaking (if there is any). Filled it up, let her idle, topped it off, and shes running great again. What a silly mistake!

CantRepeat
03-31-2011, 10:01 AM
wow, so i finally got on the boat yesterday and checked the fluid... EMPTY!!!

Im not sure if there is a leak or my dad just didnt get it in a while and told me he had before i picked it up from him. Anyways i picked up some more ATF fluid and some stuff that apparently helps stop leaking (if there is any). Filled it up, let her idle, topped it off, and shes running great again. What a silly mistake!

Do not put the stuff that says it stops leaks in your tranny. First fill it up and see if you can find the leak, if there is one. If you can fix it without adding additives you're going to be better off.

agarabaghi
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
ok, i havent put any of that stuff in yet. What i did do is get "high milage" transmission fluid... i will check tomorrow when i run her again and see if any leaked out