PDA

View Full Version : New Boat, New Slip.. need advice

urbantux
03-27-2011, 09:42 AM
I just purchased my first Mastercraft, a 2011 X-15 and I am going to be keeping it on the water in a slip. I as of yet have been unable to locate a lift at a price I can afford. This brings me to two questions:

1.) will the boat be ok in the water? I plan to pull it out at the end of the season.

2.) What is the best way to secure it to the dock> The slip has a finger dock on the port side and two metal poles on the starboard. The dock is floating.

If anyone could help out, or has a line on a used lift in East TN I would appreciate it.

CottagerGreg
03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
First off most people on this board and any board will tell you that you are neglecting your boat!

I keep my personal x-star in the water from mid april till late october with no issue going onto the 4th summer.

I give a liberal coat of wax in the spring before the boat goes in for the season (meguiar's nxt liquid wax works great)

Also through the season I get under the boat every week with a sponge or old t-shirt and clean off all algee to keep the boat looking good. Furthermore I take the boat out a couple times during the year to let the gel coat "breath" and give the hull another coat of wax.

I am in the same position as you as I don't have $12k for a proper boat lift or 80k to build a steel dock. We have a good ph balance of water in our lake. Obviously you need to keep a keen eye on your hull and change your habits accordingly.

As for mooring I would recommend some bungle tie lines as it softens the pull on the cleats.

KnoxX2
03-27-2011, 12:12 PM
What part of East Tn. are you and what lake will you be on?

If I spent that kinda money on a new boat I don't think I would risk leaving it in the water all season. The most I leave my boat in the water is a week at a time. Keep in mind everyone is different and it's your boat so you make the call. I know some of the marinas there will rent you a slip with a lift. Also you may find a used Hydro-hoist if you check craigslist, paper or the Thrifty Nickle. I know I have seen them for $2500 - $3000.

KnoxX2
03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Here are a few.

Search Results8000 lb Hydrohoist - boat liftMar 7, 2011 ... 8000 lb Hydrohoist - boat lift - $4600 (Pickwick Lake, TN/MS) ... used 8000lb capacity lift with dual tanks, and dual valve controller. ...
loz.craigslist.org › for sale / wanted › boats

Sunset Marina on Dale Hollow Lake - The Lakes Community ...25 posts - 10 authors - Last post: Jan 18, 2008
Pricing on Used Hydrohoist Lifts to be posted soon. Tom Allen GM-Sunset Marina ... Lift Purchase Option = $3995.00 +TN Sales Tax ...
lakecumberland.com › ... › Commercial Announcements - Cached - Similar

Hydrohoist - Yakaz For saleFloating Boat lift manufactured by hydrohoist. 6000 lb capacity used for one season Location: Chattanooga ... Chattanooga TN, United States, 2 weeks ago ...
for-sale.yakaz.com/hydrohoist

urbantux
03-27-2011, 12:21 PM
What part of East Tn. are you and what lake will you be on?

Judging by your name I would say the same part of East TN as you. I will be on Fort Loudon. After what I dropped on the boat I just can't afford another 8k for a lift. If I can find one for 2-3k I would jump on it. I just haven't found one yet. There was one up in Norris for sale but I have no idea how I would have gotten it from there to here.

KnoxX2
03-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Not living there now but will be back soon. If you can get one on Norris you can get it to Ft Loudon. It might be worth it to call HydroHoist.

On a side note I will be back in town this week to help a friend with a deck up on Norris. Wants help? We could use a extra hand!!! I bet he knows someone who could find you one.

JohnE
03-27-2011, 01:54 PM
I think the risk of osmotic blistering is minimal thrse days but still exists. I havent left my 09 in for longer tjan a week, but might this year. But i dont think ill leave it in longrr than a few weeks at a time.

CottagerGreg
03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Mine is in months at a time... No issues thus far.....

Don't give me the spiel.... I don't want to hear it...

2RLAKE
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
call around all the local marinas on Louden, Norris, Tellico, etc ... someone will have a used lift for sale ... can you pull it out each weekend and store it on the trailer? As other have said, would be a shame to leave it in the water. I put mine in and out each weekend for 7 years before i got my lift ... glad i did. I'm a lake commuter ... do you live on the lake year round?

73blue
03-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Move it to Douglas, I'll build you a lift, lease it to you for an extra $50 a month, and put it right next to mine:D

Justjoe
03-28-2011, 05:31 PM
I hate leaving mine in over night.

A used hoist is cheap insurance. I think I paid 1200 for mine. Then again, we have zebra mussels and although they are FANTASTIC for making the water clear and beautiful, they can kinda screw up things that sit at docks so I guess I have a bit more motivation....

Was that a run on?? Mondays...

urbantux
03-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Here is a picture of my new boat, I was hoping to be able to get her in the water this weekend and move her to my slip but since the forecast has now changed to a slight chance of snow on Saturday I may be waiting a little longer than I had hoped.

This is a pic from the dealership after our test drive. I haven't picked it up yet do the the weather and it kills me that I bought it but don't yet have it.

dpolen
03-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Love the colors! That is a great looking new MC.

For what it's worth, I leave my boat in a slip all summer...pull it once or twice to clean the bottom. Yes, it gets dirty as heck sitting in the lake, but it gets used exponentially more because I don't have to trailer it to the lake with my young kids. Try to find a used lift, but regardless, use the snot out of the boat...that's why you bought it! Congrats!

urbantux
03-29-2011, 07:42 AM
The reason we got a slip is because of the kids and time involved in towing. We have an 18 month old and a 4 Year old. It is just going to be a lot easier with the boat on the lake already. As far as cleaning, I have a buddy who has a mobile detailing business so I may just get him to pull it twice a season and give her a thorough cleaning.

Covi
03-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Wow - Nice baot!

CottagerGreg
03-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Love the colors! That is a great looking new MC.

For what it's worth, I leave my boat in a slip all summer...pull it once or twice to clean the bottom. Yes, it gets dirty as heck sitting in the lake, but it gets used exponentially more because I don't have to trailer it to the lake with my young kids. Try to find a used lift, but regardless, use the snot out of the boat...that's why you bought it! Congrats!

I will put on googles and go under the boat and scrub it down.. works great and looking pretty

I agree that you use your boat more when you don't have to worry about trailering, launching etc.

I bought a boat to use it... aka I average 90-120 hours a season... if you put on 20-40 hours shame on you....even more shame on you if you live in a warm climate. You need a lift because you boat just sits there while mine is out counting the hours and burning lots of fuel!

jimmies1
03-29-2011, 02:39 PM
This doesn't help the person in east TN. but if someone in central AR. needs a good lift I have a 3 tank 6500lb lift currently set up for an X-55 for sale at Eden Isle Marina on Greers Ferry lake.$3700

UrbantuxTN
03-29-2011, 02:56 PM
@Flashydubber I will definitely be scrubbing it down, we usually hold up in a shallow cove after we get our boarding in for the day. My biggest fear is blistering but it sounds like that is less likely than it used to be.

P.S. Changed username since I initially registered and I was still showing as guest, never heard back from Admin on getting it fixed so just opened a new account the right way.

supturb89
03-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Very nice looking boat. Love the red.

helton333
03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
We are in TN and use an Econolift (had it for 5 years, not one issue)- about 60% the cost of hydrohoist - gets the boat completely out of the water - uses a large square float instead of the tubes - doesn't rock, very stable and very solid hardware. You could contact them and find out who here does their installs.

dpolen
03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I will put on googles and go under the boat and scrub it down.. works great and looking pretty

I agree that you use your boat more when you don't have to worry about trailering, launching etc.

I bought a boat to use it... aka I average 90-120 hours a season... if you put on 20-40 hours shame on you....even more shame on you if you live in a warm climate. You need a lift because you boat just sits there while mine is out counting the hours and burning lots of fuel!

I never thought about using goggles...that's something I'll have to try out. I'll generally wipe down the sides when we're beached on one of the islands with the kids. Good time to pop open a cold one while giving a little TLC to the toy and the kids play with their toys! For me, it's definitely more fun to clean the boat while on the lake relaxing than doing it on the trailer in the driveway while dreaming of being on the lake.

Sorry, threadjack over!

UrbantuxTN
03-29-2011, 03:15 PM
We are in TN and use an Econolift (had it for 5 years, not one issue)- about 60% the cost of hydrohoist - gets the boat completely out of the water - uses a large square float instead of the tubes - doesn't rock, very stable and very solid hardware. You could contact them and find out who here does their installs.

I haven't heard of Econolift, I will have to look them up. There is a company that leases lifts, but it is more than 50% of the cost I paying for the Slip which makes that a pretty significant amount / month. I really want to find a used one in good shape for a decent price. Just not as easy as I thought it would be..