PDA

View Full Version : Im absolutley SICK

jdeml
03-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Well after a month of getting her all ready, changing oil(s), filters, belts, etc and cleaning like a mad man. I took the boat out yesterday. I had the middle plug in the hull and left the back out till we got to the launch, just to let more stuff drain on the drive. long story short I yelled at my friend "hey put the back plug in, he jumped out and said ok. well I back on in and he took off. I parked and walked down. I jumped in the drivers seat and idled off to an alarm. took me a minute before I realized he didnt put the plug in!!!! Its a miracle we didnt sink. I said wheres the plug!! he couldnt find it, which he had. anyways somehow got the boat on the trailer (miracle). As i watched all the water drain I was SICK. Looking around the boat today I find that there is tons of water in the oil. Ive never had this happen, NEVER! but it did so what exactly am i looking at here. Im pumping all the old oil out as we speak. Did I do catastrophic damage??? With my luck I have. PLEASE Help

onejdgreen
03-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Well... that does suck. Most likely you didnt cause any damage because you didnt the engine up to operating temp. I would definitely wait a couple of days before adding oil. Pull the fill cap, dipstick and leave the plug out to let any remaining water in the block evaporate.

03geetee
03-26-2011, 04:08 PM
I would pump it all out, let what will and can evaporate do so (not much I expect) and then refill, run at idle, drain and repeat until there is no sign of water in your oil. Tranny will need to be checked too I would assume.

JTR

Cmpdman
03-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Wow! That sucked. Done it once years ago when I was 18. Sounds like you caught it quick enough. Keep us posted if you find any damage.

thatsmrmastercraft
Get all the old oil out ASAP. Immediately fill it with cheap oil. Next check your trans as it is probably full of oil too. Same deal.......suck all the old stuff out and replace. Now start it up for a minute or two, then remove all the oil and replace with good stuff and you should be good to go. You want to do this right away so nothing has a chance to rust.

Might remove the starter and make sure its dry and don't forget to grease the starter drive while its out.

Lesson learned. Everyone eventually does it.

josepcedwards
No worries! I pulled mine out of the water a as i was doing my walk around i pulled the rear plug and i noticed it wasnt on the trailer even so i backed it back in the water WITH OUT THE PLUG IN IT. It was hell getting back out!

carracer
03-26-2011, 04:11 PM
how high did water level get where did water inter the block

fstaslp
03-26-2011, 04:15 PM
That sucks man. I used to work at a marina as a detailer and I would help to water tests in. I can't tell you how many times people would forget. The dealership started making you put in with the hatch up so you would have to put it down and potentially see water. Now i have it so ingrained that I am always the on on plugs and strap duty. I just don't truse anyone else with it after seeing so many people overlook it.

03geetee
03-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Said it before Ill say it again....ziptie them to your keys you will never forget to plug your boat, your keys will be so heavy and impossible for you to have in your pocket you wont be able to withstand finding the proper places for them!

Trust me it works!

JTR

TX.X-30 fan
03-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Said it before Ill say it again....ziptie them to your keys you will never forget to plug your boat, your keys will be so heavy and impossible for you to have in your pocket you wont be able to withstand finding the proper places for them!

Trust me it works!

JTR

I did the steering wheel method but both are fool-proof.

Jerseydave
03-26-2011, 04:46 PM
change oil and trans fluid, run for 5-10 mins. then change oil and trans fluid again.
All of the water should be out after 2 changes. If you're lucky it will only cost you about $100....no worries!

GoneBoatN
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
I'd get the oil out immediately. Like thatmrmastercraft said, rinse and repeat. I'd do the tranny no mater what. Depending upon the location of your alternator you may want to check it as well.

Did your bilge pump not kick in?

starrski
03-26-2011, 05:08 PM
after running it for a bit after your 2nd oil change, pull the dip stick. if it is "foamy" or has white slime, you probably still have water. Change oil again, and it may need a new filter change again also.

good chance no water made it into tranny, it seals well.

pull all of the electrical connectors that ended up below water line, clean with electrical contact cleaner and put on di-electric grease to prevent corrosion. this is especially important for starter and alternator. you may need to lubricate your blower motors in the bilge if they develop a bearing squeal.

Mastercraft boats survive getting wet much better than most of the other brands out there!

CantRepeat
03-26-2011, 05:51 PM
I did the steering wheel method but both are fool-proof.

That's my method as well.

I drilled a hole it the handle of the plug and put a cord through it. When the plug is out I hang them on the wheel.

Sorry about your troubles. As many have said change the oil and filter. Run the but for a few, change the oil as many times as needed to remove the water.

You should be ok.

jdeml
03-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I really thought it was horrible. I planned on changing it out and such but I needed yalls reassurance!!! water got about halfway up the block. I guess Ill change the spark plugs and filter. I check the Trans and it looked fine but Ill change that too just to be on the safe side. Funny thing is I had both plugs. I gave him it and he said "Ok guess he forgot since his Woman was with him! haha Thanks again fellas. Wouldnt make it without yall!!!!

Thrall
03-27-2011, 12:41 AM
How'd water get in the engine oil? Does it leak oil anywhere? Couldn't be too much water in the oil, just get the oil changed out quickly a couple times and it should be fine.
Had my first "forgot the plug" incident last yr. I've started leaving the rear plug out until getting to the dock 'cause the fish cops want to see that you don't have a zebra mussel swimming pool in the bilge!:confused:
Dropped the boat in, wife pulls the truck out. I proceed to get the kids' life jackets on, grab a cold one, pick out a tune on the Ipod when I see the rear plug sitting in the cupholder! It hadn't taken on much water yet, I should have notied that the swim deck wasn't even under water as I jumped in with my shorts, shirt, wallet, phone etc still on my person! Carefully get the plug back in without dropping it 'cause I'm worried how I'd get the boat loaded back up with my thumb in the bilge hole! Go back to the dock to pick up my wife and she looks at me and says...... "What? You had to p!ss so bad you jumped in with your clothes on?"
I just said, "yeah."

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2011, 09:00 AM
How'd water get in the engine oil? Does it leak oil anywhere? Couldn't be too much water in the oil, just get the oil changed out quickly a couple times and it should be fine.
Had my first "forgot the plug" incident last yr. I've started leaving the rear plug out until getting to the dock 'cause the fish cops want to see that you don't have a zebra mussel swimming pool in the bilge!:confused:
Dropped the boat in, wife pulls the truck out. I proceed to get the kids' life jackets on, grab a cold one, pick out a tune on the Ipod when I see the rear plug sitting in the cupholder! It hadn't taken on much water yet, I should have notied that the swim deck wasn't even under water as I jumped in with my shorts, shirt, wallet, phone etc still on my person! Carefully get the plug back in without dropping it 'cause I'm worried how I'd get the boat loaded back up with my thumb in the bilge hole! Go back to the dock to pick up my wife and she looks at me and says...... "What? You had to p!ss so bad you jumped in with your clothes on?"
I just said, "yeah."

Good answer. :rolleyes:

Jim@BAWS
03-27-2011, 09:03 AM
If you had water 1/2 up the engine block in an X Star...wow! You might be looking at other issues down the road. Starter, trans fluid, Why did your bildge pump(s) not work? That should have been the first sign. Getting that much water in the boat does take a fair amount of time. If this ever happens again DRIVE THE BOAT...do not stand still. Water will not come in the stern if you are on plane Call from your cell phone and have the trailer ready on the boat ramp.

Dry everything throughly

keith3613
03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Iím an Aircraft Inspector. Iíve always used a checklist prior to using my boat. Plus, I load my boat the day before and double check my checklist prior to going to the lake. Then, I run my boat in the driveway, with a water hose, prior leaving for the lake. That way, thereís less chance of something going wrong and you can relax. Oh yes, thereís one other reason. I donít trust anyone.

jdeml
03-27-2011, 11:55 AM
You know I started thinking the same about how did water get in. I think I may have a small leak (dont know the technical name) but its in the rear of the engine where the pan meets. hard to explain. I wouldnt call that the Rear main seal because teh engine is flipped on a vdrive right? Anyways I stucked out all the oil and let me tell you there was a lot of water!Goning to keep at it again today. Will take pick of leaky oil culprit today to give yall a look

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Iím an Aircraft Inspector. Iíve always used a checklist prior to using my boat. Plus, I load my boat the day before and double check my checklist prior to going to the lake. Then, I run my boat in the driveway, with a water hose, prior leaving for the lake. That way, thereís less chance of something going wrong and you can relax. Oh yes, thereís one other reason. I donít trust anyone.

They just passed a law here in MN that you can't trailer a boat with the plug in. Now I can't put the plug in before I leave the house.

SkiDog
03-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Well after a month of getting her all ready, changing oil(s), filters, belts, etc and cleaning like a mad man. I took the boat out yesterday. I had the middle plug in the hull and left the back out till we got to the launch, just to let more stuff drain on the drive. long story short I yelled at my friend "hey put the back plug in, he jumped out and said ok. well I back on in and he took off. I parked and walked down. I jumped in the drivers seat and idled off to an alarm. took me a minute before I realized he didnt put the plug in!!!! Its a miracle we didnt sink. I said wheres the plug!! he couldnt find it, which he had. anyways somehow got the boat on the trailer (miracle). As i watched all the water drain I was SICK. Looking around the boat today I find that there is tons of water in the oil. Ive never had this happen, NEVER! but it did so what exactly am i looking at here. Im pumping all the old oil out as we speak. Did I do catastrophic damage??? With my luck I have. PLEASE Help

Wrong attitude there pal! Think positive man!

kskonn
03-27-2011, 01:52 PM
I just said, "yeah."
i had a similiar experience. gave the plug to a buddy asked him to put it in. 5 min later i put the boat in the water pull it off the trailer and up to the dock. when i got to the dock my buddy pulls the rear plg out of his pocket and says "where did this go again?" i jump out of the boat, grab the plug and in the water i go iphone and all. no damage done but it scared the crap out of me. I had to buy a new phone and my buddy is on wipe down duty for three months.

Jeff Lyman
03-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Find out how the water got in the block and engine oil. Somethings not right there I would be concerned with water half way up the engine nothing should penatrate. There is only a couple of areas for water to enter, dip stick and intake. Everything else is sealed or your oil would not stay in.

Be easy on your friend. I once was asked to clamp down the trailer hitch on my friends Hydrostream. Well I forgot and 5 miles down the road his boat passed the truck. It was funny as hell at the time because nothing happend. Were still friends and ski together 20 years later.

GoneBoatN
03-27-2011, 02:22 PM
They just passed a law here in MN that you can't trailer a boat with the plug in. Now I can't put the plug in before I leave the house.

I wonder what the reasoning for making that law. I too put the plugs in long before I get to the ramp. As far as concerns about zebra mussels I obsessively keep the bilge area clean and dry.

This is not something I leave to anyone else. I also have a zip tie on it and hang it from throttle arm. Maybe I should use a clip so that I can attach it to the boat key. I guess some day it's going to happen to me - plenty else has.

Actually the stern plug always stays in as it is not the lowest point anyways, unless I'm parked uphill and checking/draining (I don't actually get water in the bilge area) the boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2011, 02:26 PM
I wonder what the reasoning for making that law. I too put the plugs in long before I get to the ramp. As far as concerns about zebra mussels I obsessively keep the bilge area clean and dry.

This is not something I leave to anyone else. I also have a zip tie on it and hang it from throttle arm. Maybe I should use a clip so that I can attach it to the boat key. I guess some day it's going to happen to me - plenty else has.

Actually the stern plug always stays in as it is not the lowest point anyways, unless I'm parked uphill and checking/draining (I don't actually get water in the bilge area) the boat.

Department of Conversation is trying to limit lake water being transferred from one body of water to another.

I also use the throttle arm to hang the plug. There are a couple sets of keys, but only one throttle arm.

TX.X-30 fan
03-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Grat law.........................:rolleyes: Please lawmakers and politicians quit micro-managing our lives, oh' and while your at it quit spending money than you don't have.:D

jdeml
03-27-2011, 03:18 PM
OK fellas got the oil back to normal, After thinking and a couple answers on here its true the engine should be solid halfway up so i looked for leaks and found it, small small leak around the rear of the oil pan. Soooo hwo hard is that to fix?? Pic shows where the leak seems to be coming from. Also would thins be a problem if I still used the boat and kept giving it oil? Thanks

arrow pointing to Leak, circle just to show all oil accumulation

TX.X-30 fan
03-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Department of Conversation is trying to limit lake water being transferred from one body of water to another.

I also use the throttle arm to hang the plug. There are a couple sets of keys, but only one throttle arm.

Why didn't you say that to begin with, I'm all for bureaus, commissions, departments and agencies. :D

starrski
03-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Everyone will, or see someone that does, forget to put the plug in if they boat long enough.

I remove the Safety Lanyard from its connection, then I attach all three (Plug, Key, Lanyard) together and put in glove box or hang from throttle.

Boat won't start without Lanyard attached to ignition kill switch..... no way to get it off the trailer, especially if you are like me and make sure it starts and runs smooth without leaks before I back off.

jdeml
03-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Another weird thing is the oil only leaks for a bit then stops when I put oil in. If I just wipe it up it dosent seem to drip anymore. But when I pour oil in the block it automatically starts dripping then slows then stops to about a 2" diameter pool. Also this is all while the engine is off. I would think that it would leak all the time.

Jerseydave
03-27-2011, 06:31 PM
OK fellas got the oil back to normal, After thinking and a couple answers on here its true the engine should be solid halfway up so i looked for leaks and found it, small small leak around the rear of the oil pan. Soooo hwo hard is that to fix?? Pic shows where the leak seems to be coming from. Also would thins be a problem if I still used the boat and kept giving it oil? Thanks

arrow pointing to Leak, circle just to show all oil accumulation

That's the front of the engine in your pic. The oil could be coming from the front crankshaft seal, timing cover gasket or oil pan gasket. Watch close while you pour oil in to see where it leaks out.

Hopefully it's not your oil pan gasket, that would mean the engine has to come out.
Make sure you're not over-filling it making it leak easier.

It's kinda weird that it only leaks when you're adding oil to it. :rolleyes:

jdeml
03-27-2011, 06:37 PM
It leaks for a bit when I add, then stops. Im gonna get in there tonight but Im pretty sure its the oil pan gasket. Its just so hard to tell up there. I think its that because it does it when I add.

That's the front of the engine in your pic. The oil could be coming from the front crankshaft seal, timing cover gasket or oil pan gasket. Watch close while you pour oil in to see where it leaks out.

Hopefully it's not your oil pan gasket, that would mean the engine has to come out.
Make sure you're not over-filling it making it leak easier.

It's kinda weird that it only leaks when you're adding oil to it. :rolleyes:

jdeml
03-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Im thinking its the oil pan gasket at the half-cirlce area. Great! Im kinda foggy on the whole path of flow but would oil be running over that area and leaking and when it passes and settles in the pan thats why the leak stops? looks to be a good 1/16" gap. Is there any way I can be certain that its the oil pan? Because Im not a certified mechanic but it looks like the oil pan butts up against the crankshaft. Soooo Im trying to figure out with to replace. Should I just raise the engine or does it have to come out. Anyone ever done this? How? Tools? Thanks