PDA

View Full Version : Best Place for Boat Carpet

swatguy
03-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Looking at giving my 2000 a refurb. The carpet is finally in need of some replacement from the years of service. Been doing a little research on how to do it. Anbody know where the best place to get the carpet is? Can u order a factory insert that is roughly pre cut?

Any tips or advice tackling the project would be appreciated. Figure now would be the time as the upholstery is all out getting re-done at a local shop here. Took a couple cushions first to see how his work was. I don't know anyone who had theirs totally re-done from them. My dealer uses them, but 99% of the time they are usually just popping on the skins from the factory to replace them.

GoneBoatN
03-26-2011, 06:48 PM
I did an older boat of mine last year. I just ordered enough carpet online. To do it over again I would make a template and then cut the carpet (oversized accounting for some stretching when installing). After laying out the carpet in the boat, I glued down with outdoor carpet glue from the local home store. Apply the glue with a notched trowel. Smooth out with a hard (wooden) roller. Don't try to work too big of a section at a time as the glue will start to setup on you and be harder to smooth out. Final cut-in-place was while gluing.

GoneBoatN
03-26-2011, 06:54 PM
BTW, although you already have a local dealer. When I was considering new upholstery I found http://www.copycatcorp.com/movie.html. They had really good prices. I ended up not replacing my upholstery so I can't directly vouch for their quality but I seen internet posts that say they do nice work.

Cloaked
03-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Looking at giving my 2000 a refurb. The carpet is finally in need of some replacement from the years of service. Been doing a little research on how to do it. Anbody know where the best place to get the carpet is? Can u order a factory insert that is roughly pre cut?

Any tips or advice tackling the project would be appreciated. Figure now would be the time as the upholstery is all out getting re-done at a local shop here. Took a couple cushions first to see how his work was. I don't know anyone who had theirs totally re-done from them. My dealer uses them, but 99% of the time they are usually just popping on the skins from the factory to replace them.Take out the old carpet caerefully and in as large of sections as possible, in order to use it as a template for cutting the new carpet.

east tx skier
03-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Corinthian carpet is a good source.

swatguy
03-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Gone,

I actually looked at copycat and mastercraft skins. For 200 more bucks I got all the labor inculded from my local shop if I choose to go with them for the whole boat interior. So kind of a no brainer. Gives me more time and why I chose to do the carpet :)

Thanks for responses so far

wheelerd
03-27-2011, 03:20 AM
A couple of years ago I did my Tristar. I bought Malibu (not the boat company but a brand) carpet from Overtons. Its 20 oz and the gray matched my original almost perfectly. (OEM carpet is a bit heavier I think -- maybe 26 oz or so but after awhile it gets compacted anyway. The plusher carpet also tends to hold more imbedded sand and grime.

Like a previous poster mentioned, try keeping the original as intact as possible to use as a template. I made sure I installed mine on a hot sunny day so that it was easier to shape and mold the carpet up the inner sides of the hull. Since marine carpet is rubber-backed I used an outdoor glue from Home Depot. Take your time, do it right, and it will look like a factory installation.