PDA

View Full Version : New Surf Board Help

BIGBADBLUE
03-25-2011, 06:13 PM
All,

My daughter turns 16 and we want to buy her a surf board. I am just buying a new X14V and have no clue what type or size to buy. She is 5'9 and about 140lbs.

HELP!!!!

scott023
03-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Get a hold of the guys at the Walker Project. Best team around IMO. If you have video of her surfing, you can send it to them and that will help determine what board to put her one. I own three Walker boards and won't ride anything else now.

http://www.thewalkerproject.com/

sand2snow22
03-25-2011, 06:23 PM
F-18 4.6

http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_797.asp

bturner2
03-25-2011, 08:42 PM
The Walker Project boards are without a doubt top notch but are also not cheap by any stretch of the imagination unless something has changed recently. If you're looking for a good starter board you may want to consider the CWB Heart Breaker board. It's styled for girls (women) and is a very good performing board that will allow for spins, 180s and other skim type tricks. The best part is that she'll be able to get start at a reasonable price. My daughter is 5' 10" and about 140lbs. She had the board all last summer and loved it. I also have a Inland Surfer Blue Lake and she prefers the heart breaker. Found this one delivered for $288 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/CWB-Heartbreaker-57-Inch-Wakesurfer-Fins/dp/B003ET6RCO

I've also heard a lot of good things about the Ronix Koal and it's available in pink for $314 here.....

http://www.thewakehouse.com/products/Ronix-Koal-Wakesurf-Board.html

The only down side that I've heard on this board is that it can be a bit fragile.

While these are not a hand shaped custom boards they will be able to take a beating and serve as a good starting point. Phase 5 and Inland Surfer also make good boards but once again you'll be climbing up into the mid $300s to mid $400s. If she really excels and needs a high end board there's always the Walker, Phase 5 or Inland Surfer later.

DeVrieski
03-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Make sure you look at Inland Surfer. Like the Walker boards they are not cheap but they perform really well. I have tried a number of boards by Ronix and Hyperlite and they don't compare to the Inland surfer's I have used.

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/

mccobmd
03-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Make sure you look at Inland Surfer. Like the Walker boards they are not cheap but they perform really well. I have tried a number of boards by Ronix and Hyperlite and they don't compare to the Inland surfer's I have used.

Ditto, I have a red woody that is great to learn the basics.

scott023
03-26-2011, 10:07 AM
The Walker Project boards are without a doubt top notch but are also not cheap by any stretch of the imagination unless something has changed recently. If you're looking for a good starter board you may want to consider the CWB Heart Breaker board. It's styled for girls (women) and is a very good performing board that will allow for spins, 180s and other skim type tricks. The best part is that she'll be able to get start at a reasonable price. My daughter is 5' 10" and about 140lbs. She had the board all last summer and loved it. I also have a Inland Surfer Blue Lake and she prefers the heart breaker. Found this one delivered for $288 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/CWB-Heartbreaker-57-Inch-Wakesurfer-Fins/dp/B003ET6RCO

I've also heard a lot of good things about the Ronix Koal and it's available in pink for $314 here.....

http://www.thewakehouse.com/products/Ronix-Koal-Wakesurf-Board.html

The only down side that I've heard on this board is that it can be a bit fragile.

While these are not a hand shaped custom boards they will be able to take a beating and serve as a good starting point. Phase 5 and Inland Surfer also make good boards but once again you'll be climbing up into the mid $300s to mid $400s. If she really excels and needs a high end board there's always the Walker, Phase 5 or Inland Surfer later.

The Koal is a good board, entry level surfer, but a good board none the less.

scott023
03-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Ditto, I have a red woody that is great to learn the basics.

If you're willing to drop good coin for a surfer, there is no doubt in my mind that the Walker boards are superior to Inland Surfer boards. :twocents:

wpstevenson
03-26-2011, 10:24 AM
hey john

when is your boat due in? mine should be done in 5 weeks. two families i ride with in KY bought hyperlite swell boards last year. the girls and mom are about the same size and they love the board. The boys are more our size and they ride it too. bobby has the small obrian alias that the girls ride, they like it? you should try out the swell, the shop should have one in soon.

BIGBADBLUE
03-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I hope the boat comes in today!!!!

scott023
03-26-2011, 12:18 PM
I hope the boat comes in today!!!!

That's a great feeling for sure. You've got to be on the edge of your seat...

BIGBADBLUE
03-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Bummer ... It will be in on Tuesday

KnoxX2
03-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Its a good thing because I will be there next weekend!!! Time for some painkillers!!!!! Its been too long.

wpstevenson
03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
When are you getting it from the shop? I'll be at the shop sat morning and then to the lake sat and sun. Hope to see see the boat, I mean see you this weekend. My boat should be here in 3 to 4 weeks.

KnoxX2
03-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey we need to get together for drinks this weekend!!!!

Justjoe
03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Run with the "heartbreaker". Good all around board (and I'm assuming this is what you want because if she was a grizzled vet, she would be telling you what she wants (just sayin).

Don't get me wrong... I have two Walker boards (F16 and a Bullet) and they are awesome. I have an IS Green Loogey which is really nice (doesn't accelerate like the walkers, but a little looser), and a couple Liquid Force Customs that I tend to ride the most (I like the way it spins, and it rides real comfortable and loose...and it's light). I'm on the 4'10", and most people that come out with me can ride that.

The CWB Tsunami is the same as the Heartbreaker, and is similarly very forgiving but would allow you to advance on it a little bit (just stuff it in the boat...everyone could use it, nobody would "hate" it).

Justjoe
03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh, and I'm 6'3" 190, but I've had 5'nuthin under a buck girls on the same. (so I guess that shows you that it has some broad latitude for sizes)

UrbantuxTN
03-31-2011, 08:42 AM
I see the CWB Ride advertised a lot, and they carry it in just about every store here. Is it any good? I know it is a beginner board, but then so am I.

CantRepeat
03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
I see the CWB Ride advertised a lot, and they carry it in just about every store here. Is it any good? I know it is a beginner board, but then so am I.

I have one. It's a very slow board. I know I'm a noob when it comes to wakesurfing but it seem very difficult to stay in the sweet spot. If you fall back in the wave, even just a little, you will not get back in. Had to use the handle entire time. But, that could be because of the wave on my 210.

Justjoe
03-31-2011, 10:01 AM
I've got an older one that I kept for super beginners. It's a lot of surface area, and not real floaty, so easy to teach getting up on. I could ride it even behind the 197 with no big issues (it likes a modest wake). Behind the X2 (if it's weighted for surfing (slammed)) the transition in the wake is too steep to surf it easily. Prone to pearling unless you're way deep in the pocket. It's what I'll put my daughter on to make her feel like a stud for getting up and dragging behind the boat, but really more of a novelty board.

UrbantuxTN
03-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Sounds like I should stay away from the ride then. I say you mentioned the Tsunami, will that still work as a beginner but be more versatile? I have an X-15 with Stock ballasts.

Justjoe
03-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah, that's good.

ColdTurkey
03-31-2011, 07:24 PM
The Koal is a good board, entry level surfer, but a good board none the less.

Sorry, but I don't think the Koal is the go. I pretty well destroyed mine in less than 3 months. It's just so soft and incredibly thin. It lived in a board bag and was always well treated but even after just a couple of runs it started to get golf ball dents in the bottom and the top. I came off doing a 360 and the edge hit my shin, my shin didn't even have a mark but it split the board about 3 inches down the edge. The clear on the board started to peal and flake as well.

I've since got the Hyperlite Broadcast and it's a great board. It's heavier and not as manoeuvrable as the Koal but I can do everything I was doing on the Ronix with it.

I'm not bias, I have a smaller Ronix skimmer that I use as well and it's great. I would just never buy a Koal or recommend one. It's a great light weight board and you can spin, jump and manoeuvre it really easily but you'll be buying a few of them a year probably. Buy a heavier board and not only will it last longer, but you'll have no worries lending it to a beginner without the worry of them denting it up.

sand2snow22
03-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah, that's good.

I had a Tsunami and was disappointed with it. Yes, it's good for beginners, but it will keep you a beginner. No room for improvement. IMO some of the other boards mentioned you can learn on AND improve!

bturner2
03-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Heard the same thing about the Koal (extremely fragile) but I have no personal experience with it.

Haven't experienced any real problems with the Tsunami/Hearbreaker and the performance characteristics can be altered by changing the fin configuration. I haven't seen many products that will make you a beginner for life. I have however seen guys slalom, trick and board quite remarkably with what many would consider entry level gear so I guess I'm in "the don't blame the tool" group on this one. The group I ride with are certainly no pros but a couple of the guys I ride with are doing 180s and 360s on it with no problem. It is however what it is, a compression board at a good price point for a beginner.

Justjoe
03-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Heard the same thing about the Koal (extremely fragile) but I have no personal experience with it.

Haven't experienced any real problems with the Tsunami/Hearbreaker and the performance characteristics can be altered by changing the fin configuration. I haven't seen many products that will make you a beginner for life. I have however seen guys slalom, trick and board quite remarkably with what many would consider entry level gear so I guess I'm in "the don't blame the tool" group on this one. The group I ride with are certainly no pros but a couple of the guys I ride with are doing 180s and 360s on it with no problem. It is however what it is, a compression board at a good price point for a beginner.

I like your style.

ColdTurkey
03-31-2011, 09:04 PM

Mate it's worse than fragile. I'd nearly go as far as to call it a defective product. In some spots (on my old board) you could see raises where the glass was coming away from the foam and you could press anywhere gently with your finger and watch the surface warp.

I've talked with the guys from Ronix and they said that it's just the way it is. My argument is, if the board was designed for surfing behind a boat and in doing that (no crashes, no abuse) it starts to get dents in it and the glass starts to separate, it's not doing it's job. I understand pro's who are sponsored would love the board because to them it's a disposable item but someone who has to fork out cash for it time and time again isn't going to be as happy.

In Australia the RRP is $780.00 I think. I got mine for a deal at $600.00 but was still pissed when it stuffed up. Luckily I support my local ski shop and don't shop online so he wore the cost and replaced the Ronix with the Hyperlite for me.

If anyone wants a board that handles awesome, is easy to use and super light weight, but won't last a full season and only looks brand new for the first handful of times they take it out, go the Koal.

I'll be trying another board, I'll pass on any info about that as well. Should start a poll.

sand2snow22
03-31-2011, 11:54 PM
It is however what it is, a compression board at a good price point for a beginner.

Exactly, it is what it is. In my experience with the board, it is harder to progress on than other boards. My problem with CWB's, Hyperlite wakesurfers, etc. is that most of them are made like a wakeboard. It has been easier for me to progress on wakesurf boards made by wakesurf companies. Yeah, you can ski behind a I/O. It's just better behind a MC. My point to the OP is that there are good boards out there for learning and progressing quickly, especially for a 16 year old. Rather than having to buy a beginner board, then later a high end board.

I try to keep an open mind. If you and Joe like it, I must have missed something. Gotta get back on one.

Urban, are you going to be riding the board, too? I don't know how big you are but a smaller board might work better for her and a bigger board might work better for you.

Good CWB/Zane vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Pf5s7HGF0

bturner2
04-01-2011, 09:27 AM
S2S makes a good point on size. I'm 6'1", 210lbs and even with a heavily weighted boat it was all I could do to make the board run. This is a definitely a board for the smaller person and may be why it works well for my daughter and the guys weighing in at 165. I personally ride a IS Blue Lake and with my set up works very well for me. I also have a IS Red Woody which I now only ride occasionally as the Blue lake seems to be the sweet spot for my set up for me.

Here's where having a good pro shop comes into play. My local dealer has a well stocked pro shop and demo program. We were able to take several board out to try (with the exception of the Koal which now makes more sense based on CT's remarks). After riding several of the entry level boards my daughter picked the Heart Breaker. Another note to the demo program is that once you go down this route the fees associated with the program ensure that you'll be buying a board from them. I paid something like $60 per board per 3 day period and took 3 boards out so internet shopping after the fact is out. To me this is very fair. I'd rather pay slightly more for a board, ski, etc. that I like rather than a little less for one that I don't like. As much as I hate to admit it I did this with a wakeboard a couple years back.

As you can see there are different views on all these products based on everyone's personal experience. What will work for you might not be acceptable to others. That's the great part of having so many choices. So now at least you have someplace to start. Next step is the best part, get out there and ride some of these boards and have some fun. Good luck and good riding to you!

scott023
04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Mate it's worse than fragile. I'd nearly go as far as to call it a defective product. In some spots (on my old board) you could see raises where the glass was coming away from the foam and you could press anywhere gently with your finger and watch the surface warp.

I've talked with the guys from Ronix and they said that it's just the way it is. My argument is, if the board was designed for surfing behind a boat and in doing that (no crashes, no abuse) it starts to get dents in it and the glass starts to separate, it's not doing it's job. I understand pro's who are sponsored would love the board because to them it's a disposable item but someone who has to fork out cash for it time and time again isn't going to be as happy.

In Australia the RRP is $780.00 I think. I got mine for a deal at $600.00 but was still pissed when it stuffed up. Luckily I support my local ski shop and don't shop online so he wore the cost and replaced the Ronix with the Hyperlite for me.

If anyone wants a board that handles awesome, is easy to use and super light weight, but won't last a full season and only looks brand new for the first handful of times they take it out, go the Koal.

I'll be trying another board, I'll pass on any info about that as well. Should start a poll.

Perhaps you got a lemon mate... we've had ours for two seasons and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

ColdTurkey
04-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Perhaps you got a lemon mate... we've had ours for two seasons and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Maybe I did, but Ronix didn't care either way, so I won't be trying another Koal and unfortunately won't recommend them to a beginner.

The Koal was only released her in Aus at Christmas. It's supposed to be the "latest" thing out and is why they are selling for nearly $800.00. Not too sure if it would change anyone's mind about their Koal if they also had to pay that price for them.