PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding grease fitting

MatthewStokes
03-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Was doing some maintenance on my '92 ProStar 205 and found that the grease fitting shown in the circle below does not have the little check ball in it. Thinking that it must have come out somehow, I was searching the internet for a replacement and found that some actually come without the ball. So, my question is, should this fitting have the ball or not?

Also, does anyone know the size for the fitting? My local auto parts stores only have larger grease fittings.

Thank you

east tx skier
03-24-2011, 02:29 PM
My 93 had the zerk fittings on it. If it doesn't, it may be lubricated through the rudder packing, sort of like the shaft.

MatthewStokes
03-24-2011, 03:11 PM
My 93 had the zerk fittings on it. If it doesn't, it may be lubricated through the rudder packing, sort of like the shaft.

East Tx Skier, thank you for the quick reply.

Previously I did some research and found you can get Zerk fittings with and without the check ball. On my boat, the fitting circled in the picture does not have a check ball in the zerk fitting, so I am wondering if it did and it came out, or it didn't come with one by design. If the check ball is supposed to be there but missing then I need to replace it, otherwise I am good as is.

Thank you

FrankSchwab
03-24-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm guessing that you'll find that if you replace that with a check-balled zerk (what a strange phrase), greasing it will cause your steering to go to hell.

As I remember the connection, the rudder cable retracts into the area that the zerk is in. Without a check ball, any excess grease comes out the zerk; with a check ball, it won't be able to, the cable won't be able to retract all the way (because of the grease), and you won't be able to turn completely to one side.

/frank

MatthewStokes
03-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm guessing that you'll find that if you replace that with a check-balled zerk (what a strange phrase), greasing it will cause your steering to go to hell.

As I remember the connection, the rudder cable retracts into the area that the zerk is in. Without a check ball, any excess grease comes out the zerk; with a check ball, it won't be able to, the cable won't be able to retract all the way (because of the grease), and you won't be able to turn completely to one side.

/frank

Frank,
Excellent. That's about what I was thinking based on watching it squirt out the grease I put in as I turned the steering wheel lock to lock. I'll leave it as is.

Thank you.

oldairboater
03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
You did right. Grease it and let well enough alone. Mine doesn't have the ball in it and I figure that is to allow expansion and prevent over pressurizing.

Marky-mark
03-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Okay so this is not strictly connected - but - I have a 2006 X2 with a siezed steering cable. My cable has no provision to grease the cable. I was thinking of trying to put a fitting in somewhere. Is this the place? Anyone done it? Comments appreciated. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
03-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Okay so this is not strictly connected - but - I have a 2006 X2 with a siezed steering cable. My cable has no provision to grease the cable. I was thinking of trying to put a fitting in somewhere. Is this the place? Anyone done it? Comments appreciated. :D

You're only chance is to pull the cable and hopefully work it loose. By the time you make it that far, you may as well just install a new cable.

FrankSchwab
03-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Install a new cable.

If it's seized, it's because it had water in it that didn't drain out. The metal casing rusted, and is holding the inner cable in place. Even if you get it broken loose, your steering will suck. Get a new cable, and marvel at how well the boat turns.

Marky-mark
03-26-2011, 04:36 AM
Sorry I didn't make that too clear. I have a new cable on its way. Was thinking more about preventative greasing of the new one to increase the life. I can't believe they don't fit a grease point on boats now. Backwards engineering???

Marky-mark
04-01-2011, 04:48 AM
Is there any way to fit a grease point to a new cable? Anyone any ideas?

FrankSchwab
04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
You can go to a Motorcycle shop and get a cable (http://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Cable-Lube-Kit/dp/B0039O2OAI) lube (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZ5AT/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0039O2OAI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SE4MWQ2BVWDKQ0EHPTM) kit. They apparently also sell them for Marine (http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Buddy-Steering-Lubrication-System/dp/B0000BYO05/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1) use. The motorcycle ones are designed for much smaller diameter cables, however, and probably won't be usable as-is; you'd have to use it as a model and create your own.

Frankly, I'd adjust the packing on the propshaft and rudder stuffing boxes, make sure the bilge pump is always on "Auto", and not worry about it. If you don't fill the cable with water, it'll last 10 years.

captain planet
04-01-2011, 01:46 PM
You can go to a Motorcycle shop and get a cable (http://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Cable-Lube-Kit/dp/B0039O2OAI) lube (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZ5AT/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0039O2OAI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SE4MWQ2BVWDKQ0EHPTM) kit. They apparently also sell them for Marine (http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Buddy-Steering-Lubrication-System/dp/B0000BYO05/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1) use. The motorcycle ones are designed for much smaller diameter cables, however, and probably won't be usable as-is; you'd have to use it as a model and create your own.

Frankly, I'd adjust the packing on the propshaft and rudder stuffing boxes, make sure the bilge pump is always on "Auto", and not worry about it. If you don't fill the cable with water, it'll last 10 years.

I'm on year 14 of my original cable. 8p

knock on wood.....knock on wood......:o

ted shred
04-03-2011, 02:35 PM
If you install a zerk with a check ball in it you must turn the wheel to retract the cable all the way before you grease it. This will prevent it from binding up later.

erkoehler
04-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm on year 14 of my original cable. 8p

knock on wood.....knock on wood......:o

So, my number is 815-788-1111 probably should get one ordered, you jinx'd yourself!