PDA

View Full Version : What's a dad to do?

LaRue
03-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Oldest daughter is out of the house starting a family of her own. Youngest son (15) has accepted his first job at the local hardware store. Since he will be working most of the summer I am almost willing to pay him minimum wage so we will still have the freedom to go boating when the weather calls for being on the water and being behind the boat. Man, what is going to happen when it is just me and the mrs? Sigh. Feeling older than yesterday in Iowa.

Andrť
03-23-2011, 07:09 PM
He will learn a lot from his work.Just make it part time not a full 40 hrs and he'll be able to join you for some good boating time.
First job is really important for a 15 years old...:)
And you're not getting old...just less young!

CantRepeat
03-23-2011, 07:14 PM
The grow up, move out, and get on with their lives. Let him work his @ss off! It will make hima better man later in life. Now is the time for you and your girl to have a great summer together. Let your boy grow up.

Chris P
03-23-2011, 08:43 PM
The grow up, move out, and get on with their lives. Let him work his @ss off! It will make hima better man later in life. Now is the time for you and your girl to have a great summer together. Let your boy grow up.

I agree. Working my a$$ off at that age really helped develop not only my work ethic, but also my respect for the value of time with family and the value of earning a dollar.

lawless1
03-23-2011, 09:02 PM
My wife and I do not have kids and enjoy our time on the boat with each other and with our friends.

tex
03-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Oldest daughter is out of the house starting a family of her own. Youngest son (15) has accepted his first job at the local hardware store. Since he will be working most of the summer I am almost willing to pay him minimum wage so we will still have the freedom to go boating when the weather calls for being on the water and being behind the boat. Man, what is going to happen when it is just me and the mrs? Sigh. Feeling older than yesterday in Iowa.

Thought about a girlfriend?

rlwiley
03-23-2011, 10:19 PM
If your wife's a good driver.....where is the problem?
Will make the time when the kids are there more enjoyable.

LaRue
03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
okay, i am not really willing to pay him to stay home. :rolleyes: It just seems strange that "that summer" is here. Wife drives but it my son and i have a 'understanding' when it comes to boating. Different times to come but enjoyable non the less.

coz
03-23-2011, 11:06 PM

I'm in the same boat man!...My oldest daughter is outta the house married with 2 kids, my 2 boys are in college and working, and my youngest daughter (16) just got her first job and driving :( Maybe we could team up LaRue....and go boarding & skiing :D

2RLAKE
03-23-2011, 11:15 PM
so i should really enjoy these times with a 12 & 10 year old, right?

... i do and know that day wil come

Cmpdman
03-24-2011, 01:08 AM
They will be back. Trust me. Also, make sure your wife can drive so you can ski. My wife drives like a pro. They'll work & be just fine. Invite some friends & have fun on the lake.

aaron.
03-24-2011, 09:23 AM
ufda, thats a bummer man. but, the days your boy has off work will be that much better now!

fstaslp
03-24-2011, 09:42 AM
I am not a dad, but a 27 year old. My family went through the same dillemma when I started working in 8th grade as a Caddy. I would typicallt work 5 days a week and always on saturday and Sunday. It sucked initially, but at the end of that summer I had a boat load of cash. It taught me that you sometimes have to make sacrifices to be successful and that has stuck with me.

I think you are teaching him good life lessons by letting him work. If the schedule is flexible, he will still get to ski. Even better, he will be able to "buy" into the hobby by getting some items that he can pick out and buy with his hard earned cash which will most likely be very rewarding for him.

76S&S
03-24-2011, 09:53 AM
You could always do what we did. My twins are 15 and I have a 3 year old. New driver/rider in the making....................

Ok, it really wasn't intentional but problem solved for several more years anyway.

gatorguy
03-24-2011, 10:50 AM
My 13 yo pulled me for the first time last saturday. It was great. I know we have a couple years befor he starts working. But I have a few warming the bench for when he's gone, 10, 6, 6, 1. I think by then my wife should be able to drive the boat.

aaron.
03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I think by then my wife should be able to drive the boat.

lol awesome. don't hold your breath though.

pmkkdx
03-24-2011, 02:10 PM
:rolleyes: at 15, it would almost be worth paying him this summer to stay at home to go boating with you & wife ...

because next year, at 16 = drivers license time and you won't ever see him unless he needs cash or wants something ... then in a few more years, he will be taking the boat out with his friends and you won't be included (you will be thinking WTH? that's MY boat!!!) ... just you wait! :cool: ... oh yeah, and your IQ will drop about 30-40 points in his eyes at 16 thru about 4 weeks into college :D

Cmpdman
03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
:rolleyes: at 15, it would almost be worth paying him this summer to stay at home to go boating with you & wife ...

because next year, at 16 = drivers license time and you won't ever see him unless he needs cash or wants something ... then in a few more years, he will be taking the boat out with his friends and you won't be included (you will be thinking WTH? that's MY boat!!!) ... just you wait! :cool: ... oh yeah, and your IQ will drop about 30-40 points in his eyes at 16 thru about 4 weeks into college :D

That's good.......... !!! Ever listen to Jeff Allen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=OLM3MxJza7k (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLM3MxJza7k)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-AvT3iA2uc&feature=relmfu

LaRue
03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm in the same boat man!...My oldest daughter is outta the house married with 2 kids, my 2 boys are in college and working, and my youngest daughter (16) just got her first job and driving :( Maybe we could team up LaRue....and go boarding & skiing :D

hows the job market in the Phoenix area? :D

LaRue
03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
You could always do what we did. My twins are 15 and I have a 3 year old. New driver/rider in the making....................

Ok, it really wasn't intentional but problem solved for several more years anyway.

i think i'll pass on that one.

TayMC197
03-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Thought about a girlfriend?

:toast:

I agree!!! This is a great option! lol :D

muskingumriverdocks
03-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Almost same here for me. My daughter will be 19 in a month and is talking about heading out on her own. I know our boat will be emptier, not only will she be gone but her entourage will to. No more stomping and sliding chairs on the roof at 2:00 am. Not being able to walk through the boat in the morning because kids are strewn everywhere. That worries me. Is there such a thing as to much quite?
My son isn't to far behind, he's a Junior this year. He's the boat driver, well he's the only one who can drive a straight line and hold a steady speed.

broncotw
03-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Start getting that "Mrs." up to speed and turn her into your NEXT personal boat driver! GOOD LUCK!!!

tex
03-24-2011, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=fstaslp;740649]I am not a dad, but a 27 year old. My family went through the same dillemma when I started working in 8th grade as a Caddy. I would typicallt work 5 days a week and always on saturday and Sunday. It sucked initially, but at the end of that summer I had a boat load of cash. It taught me that you sometimes have to make sacrifices to be successful and that has stuck with me.

I think you are teaching him good life lessons by letting him work. If the schedule is flexible, he will still get to ski. Even better, he will be able to "buy" into the hobby by getting some items that he can pick out and buy with his hard earned cash which will most likely be very rewarding for him.[/QUOTE

Did you win the Caddy Scholarship?

ahhudgins
03-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Sometimes you have to just sit back and see what happens. My two boys were at the lake every weekend until the oldest got his driverís license. He started working part time, graduated from high school, but dropped out of college after a few semesters. He has a good job now and works his tail off, but he shows no interest in the lake now. He would rather drink, smoke, and ride is 4 wheeler. He got that from his motherís side of the family. My youngest is graduating from high school this year and already has a part time job. He has no idea what he wants to take in college. He too has lost interest in the lake; he is spending every dime he makes on paint ball. Go figure.

My wife will drive the boat, but to her barefoot speed is anywhere between 36 and 42. Life IS like a box of chocolates.

Good luck and hang in there.

fstaslp
03-24-2011, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=fstaslp;740649]I am not a dad, but a 27 year old. My family went through the same dillemma when I started working in 8th grade as a Caddy. I would typicallt work 5 days a week and always on saturday and Sunday. It sucked initially, but at the end of that summer I had a boat load of cash. It taught me that you sometimes have to make sacrifices to be successful and that has stuck with me.

I think you are teaching him good life lessons by letting him work. If the schedule is flexible, he will still get to ski. Even better, he will be able to "buy" into the hobby by getting some items that he can pick out and buy with his hard earned cash which will most likely be very rewarding for him.[/QUOTE

Did you win the Caddy Scholarship?

No I didn't. It is a great program though. I spent my formative years caddying for Cincinnati's "elite". I worked for Johnny Bench, Bill Cunningham, Chris Sabo and many more. I also learned a valuable lesson: "the richer they are the worse they tip, how do you think they got that way?"

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=tex;740773]

No I didn't. It is a great program though. I spent my formative years caddying for Cincinnati's "elite". I worked for Johnny Bench, Bill Cunningham, Chris Sabo and many more. I also learned a valuable lesson: "the richer they are the worse they tip, how do you think they got that way?"

My first job was a also as a caddy at the Country Club one of my neighbors belonged to. Certainly got me started in the right direction. A few years later when the movie Caddyshack came out, I really appreciated it.

fstaslp
03-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I caddied a few years after the movie came out and not much had changed.

coz
03-24-2011, 09:59 PM
hows the job market in the Phoenix area? :D

Not very good as a contractor, It's a cut throat world out there and I've been slow so I took a job working at one of the local lakes, here's my work vehicle :D The pay's not so good but the fringe benefits are killer :banana:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/017-23.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Good to know. It was a fun job. I rode my bike 3 1/2 miles each way.........No there were no hills and it wasn't snowing then.