PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it Really Sucks Living in the Upper Midwest

epnault
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Last weekend it was in the mid 50s (North East Minneapois area) and the snow was pretty much gone from the yard. Snowmobiles, plow on Ranger, snowboards, snow skis, and all the clothing were nicely put away as of Sunday. I even started making room for the boat in the garage when I get it out of storage.

Then...........I wake up to the most horrific site a guy with a MC waiting for spring could see, a total blizzard with 5 inches on the ground over night and it is still snow as we speak. Sorry-had to vent. I enjoy the multiple seasons of the midwest but sometimes it really stinks and plays tricks on you. On top of it our 10 forecast is for cold weather.:mad:

ShawnB
03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Feeling it here in the Northeast too. Played softball on Sunday and will be shoveling tomorrow. New boat is sitting at the dealer still in the factory wrap because it's too cold to de-winterize it.

muskingumriverdocks
03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Last weekend it was in the mid 50s (North East Minneapois area) and the snow was pretty much gone from the yard. Snowmobiles, plow on Ranger, snowboards, snow skis, and all the clothing were nicely put away as of Sunday. I even started making room for the boat in the garage when I get it out of storage.

Then...........I wake up to the most horrific site a guy with a MC waiting for spring could see, a total blizzard with 5 inches on the ground over night and it is still snow as we speak. Sorry-had to vent. I enjoy the multiple seasons of the midwest but sometimes it really stinks and plays tricks on you. On top of it our 10 forecast is for cold weather.:mad:

Know what you're saying 73 here in SE Oh. Going to be 22 by Thursday night.

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2011, 04:46 PM
88 right now I guess the 3 days of spring are over.

broncotw
03-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Posts like this one makes me LOVE Texas even more! High 80s today and sunny!!!

Chris P
03-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah....the midwest can be a real bummer at this time of year. I'm in MI and we have sleet, freezing rain, and snow last night with temps tonight in the 20's and it's not going to break 40 for the next several days. Yet last week we had some really nice 65-70 weather. Now that I'm boat shopping, this weather has become a SERIOUS irritant! I need the ice to melt so I can start doing some water tests!

aaron.
03-23-2011, 05:55 PM
thank god for whiskey and warm women. you'll make it dude, we're almost there

corey
03-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Grrrrrr, totally with ya. I was bummed to wake up and have to shovel AGAIN! Looks like next week will be back in the 50's, ready for summer!

Turnandburn
03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Consider this. All that snow is going to melt and drain into the Mississippi River and produce a record flood this year which means no water skiing on the Mighty Mississippi River in Bettendorf/Davenport, Iowa for quite some time. Bummer!

Jerseydave
03-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Feeling it here in the Northeast too. Played softball on Sunday and will be shoveling tomorrow. New boat is sitting at the dealer still in the factory wrap because it's too cold to de-winterize it.

Where in the northeast are you Shawn?

We had just a coating here in central NJ, but northwest Jersey got 8 inches.
Highs only in the mid-40's for the next 7 days.

ShawnB
03-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Southern Massachusetts. Weather service is saying 2-4 inches over the next 24 hours.

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Posts like this one makes me LOVE Texas even more! High 80s today and sunny!!!

Don't sugar coat it, we have stifling smog and acid rain...........

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Consider this. All that snow is going to melt and drain into the Mississippi River and produce a record flood this year which means no water skiing on the Mighty Mississippi River in Bettendorf/Davenport, Iowa for quite some time. Bummer!

How is the water way up-stream in the Mississippi??

barefoot
03-23-2011, 08:06 PM
It's somewhere between 32 and 33 degrees. it's snowing, then raining, then snowing....make up your mind already. I just want the ice to be off the lake...

thatsmrmastercraft
03-23-2011, 08:18 PM
How is the water way up-stream in the Mississippi??

Plenty of water here.

Finnsdad
03-23-2011, 08:33 PM
8" here in the past day, parts of central WI had over a foot. It's tough living here, but those 6 weeks of summer make it all worth while!

sully
03-23-2011, 11:11 PM
March Madness has nothing to do with Basketball in Minnesota, it's strictly the weather.....

thatsmrmastercraft
03-23-2011, 11:12 PM
You may be on to something there.:rolleyes:

cf_koch
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
I spent Saturday and Sunday outside in shorts and t-shirt but woke up this morning to see the ground was white. :( Not enough to shovel but a rude awakening none the less.

The boat comes out of storage on Sunday and opening day for baseball is 8 days away, does that mean that winter will end??

CantRepeat
03-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I'll just say sorry boys, move South?

aquaman
03-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Don't sugar coat it, we have stifling smog and acid rain...........

Wow, Austin has changed for the worse. At least you don't have to shovel it? :)

wheelerlake
03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Green Bay was the bullseye, 17.8 inches of wet, heavy snow. Plus it thundered and lightened Tuesday night into Wednesday. Weird, weird weather. It was beautiful but there was about 3 inches of heavy snow stuck on all the branches and about 2 inches of ice covering the roads under the snow. Supposedly the second biggest snowstorm since the 1880's. I was going to make the guess when the ice would leave the lake as sometime in April but now I think the 4th of July would be closer. Too bad the state closes all the snowmobile trails after a certain date, we could still have some great trail riding. Where's that groundhog with his early prediction of spring now? I'd stuff him down some fisherman's hole in the ice! :rolleyes:

j4rowell
03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Michigan Blows. Wisconsin seems to blow more though. Thanks for cheering me up Wheeler.

"Sometime's when I'm feeling down, I like to take a home pregnancy test, that way I can look to my wife and say, 'hey at least I'm not pregnant' and then I know happy days are just around the corner" (Tosh).

Tough it out guys...

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Michigan Blows. Wisconsin seems to blow more though. Thanks for cheering me up Wheeler.

"Sometime's when I'm feeling down, I like to take a home pregnancy test, that way I can look to my wife and say, 'hey at least I'm not pregnant' and then I know happy days are just around the corner" (Tosh).

Tough it out guys...

Nice Avatar.:D

Lars
03-24-2011, 02:16 PM
You're telling me,

This morning my thermometer said it was 13 degrees out! It feels like christmas... except it's light till 8 o'clock

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2011, 02:21 PM
You're telling me,

This morning my thermometer said it was 13 degrees out! It feels like christmas... except it's light till 8 o'clock

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

TOO-TALL
03-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Green Bay was the bullseye, 17.8 inches of wet, heavy snow. Plus it thundered and lightened Tuesday night into Wednesday. Weird, weird weather. It was beautiful but there was about 3 inches of heavy snow stuck on all the branches and about 2 inches of ice covering the roads under the snow. Supposedly the second biggest snowstorm since the 1880's. I was going to make the guess when the ice would leave the lake as sometime in April but now I think the 4th of July would be closer. Too bad the state closes all the snowmobile trails after a certain date, we could still have some great trail riding. Where's that groundhog with his early prediction of spring now? I'd stuff him down some fisherman's hole in the ice! :rolleyes:

Wow! you guys got 17.5 inches and the snowmobile traile are closed..????????:confused:
I say open em up and let the snowmobilers ride.I think there would be alot of riders wanting to get in one last ride.That would be alot of money pumped into the local economy.

Last saturday it was 60+ and sunny got the boat out fired her up.Then today its blowing and cold with lake effect snow...***!!!!

bturner2
03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
We're headed for another 13 degree night. As bad as it sounds as long as when it does get warm it stays warm I'm OK with it.

Still hoping to get the docks back in the water in two weeks. As soon as the ice goes out the docks go in!

03geetee
03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
This midwest weather blows, but thats what she does every year so we should know better.

JTR

coz
03-24-2011, 09:52 PM
God bless Arizona http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=740796&postcount=1941 :headbang:

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2011, 09:57 PM
On the bright side, when its 187 degrees south of the Mason-Dixon line, this neck of the woods is pretty nice.

And I can always put more clothes on.:rolleyes:

GoneBoatN
03-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Well, out on the west coast in Nor Cal, I'm starting to think I should start building an Ark.

It could be worse - I was up in the Sierra Mountains last weekend and the snow was 20ft+ deep in some places. And to think they are getting more!

CantRepeat
03-25-2011, 05:06 AM
On the bright side, when its 187 degrees south of the Mason-Dixon line, this neck of the woods is pretty nice.

And I can always put more clothes on.:rolleyes:

I hear ya, but at least we don't need drysuits in the winter time! :D:D